Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Camranger questions

Real Name
    Ankit

Camranger questions

I've reviewed some of the past threads on camranger and trying to see if it would be the best tool for my needs or looking for alternatives...

Thinking of picking up the camranger for previewing shots in the field.
    I would be using in the short term, a droid tablet or windows laptop. And then move on to windows tablet.
    I also have a droid phone...

I have used the eos phone app previously and have the canon remote to take pics of me with the camera on a tripod...

i don't think i am planning on doing any editing but just looking for an option for capturing and viewing and then making the corresponding changes on the camera.

Real Name
    Max

Re: Camranger questions

I personally think the CamRanger is a rip off. It is a $40 piece of hardware with custom software added.

So, if you have already used a phone app, I assume your camera is already wireless enabled. So, why not use the EOS Utilities software to make adjustments and preview shots and save yourself a few hundred dollars?

Real Name
    wm c boyer

As a heavy user of wired EOS Software...unless they have changed things,
    it only works in a Windows environment.

Real Name
    Max

Ankit did say they would be using a Windows tablet, so all is good.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

As a CamRanger user (and no it is not a ripoff, an more than any other hardware / software is), the tool works well with Android, iOS and Windows. but the Windows implementation is less robust than the other two, and I can't vouch for how well it runs on a Windows tablet, as I haven't tried it.

It is primarily remote control tool that lets one adjust individual camera functions, rather than a image viewer, so much of the screen real estate is taken up by the control functions. As you are using WiFi to communicate, your WiFi link is used to communicate with the camera (i.e. none of the wireless functions to the internet or your local network can be used while using the CamRanger). While I don't have / use it, it also controls a motorized tripod head that lets you rotate, pan and tilt the camera.

Nicely said, it is not an ideal substitute for tethered shooting, and if this is all you want to do with it. Hardwired tethered shooting is really a much better solution, unless the wired connection is going to cause you problems. While I can use it from a smartphone, realistically, a large tablet or touch screen laptop are a lot better suited for this kind of work (this is how I sometimes do product photography in a studio setting). I use a long USB cable from Tethertools for this.

https://www.tethertools.com/

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Aah...how long is that cable Manfred?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Aah...how long is that cable Manfred?
    2 x 25ft. so I can be up to 50 ft away from the laptop. On shorter shots I use one cable so my limit is 25 ft.

Real Name
    Yes

As some of us have said before DSLR Controller for android is far cheaper but does more than camranger - connect by usb or wifi, or if you dont have wifi on camera you get free firmwear to modify a industry standard modem which you can buy for about £30, the same piece of kit as camranger rebadge and sell for 6 times the cost, hence why some consider it a rip off..

Real Name
    Ankit

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    As a CamRanger user (and no it is not a ripoff, an more than any other hardware / software is), the tool works well with Android, iOS and Windows. but the Windows implementation is less robust than the other two, and I can't vouch for how well it runs on a Windows tablet, as I haven't tried it.

It is primarily remote control tool that lets one adjust individual camera functions, rather than a image viewer, so much of the screen real estate is taken up by the control functions. As you are using WiFi to communicate, your WiFi link is used to communicate with the camera (i.e. none of the wireless functions to the internet or your local network can be used while using the CamRanger). While I don't have / use it, it also controls a motorized tripod head that lets you rotate, pan and tilt the camera.

Nicely said, it is not an ideal substitute for tethered shooting, and if this is all you want to do with it. Hardwired tethered shooting is really a much better solution, unless the wired connection is going to cause you problems. While I can use it from a smartphone, realistically, a large tablet or touch screen laptop are a lot better suited for this kind of work (this is how I sometimes do product photography in a studio setting). I use a long USB cable from Tethertools for this.

https://www.tethertools.com/
    so if I want to shoot tethered (or wifi) to a laptop or tablet for previewing only...what sort of app/tool do I need on the device to facilitate the connection?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by THaNaToZ View Post
    so if I want to shoot tethered (or wifi) to a laptop or tablet for previewing only...what sort of app/tool do I need on the device to facilitate the connection?
    Both Lightroom and Phase One Capture One support tethered shooting via a USB cable (see the Tethertools link in my previous post for long cables and tiedowns). You should check to see if your camera model is supported.

WiFi tends to be very slow, especially if the file size is large. You mention EOS, so I assume you are shooting Canon; I believe some of Canon software supports this, but I don't know for sure

Real Name
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    ou mention EOS, so I assume you are shooting Canon; I believe some of Canon software supports this, but I don't know for sure
    The EOS Utility bundle, as stated before. I comes on a disc with your camera and has a decent interface and does the job. For some reason, it isn't available to download on the Canon site so, failing that, DSLR Controller is freeware that fits with a range of operating systems, as loosecanon stated.

And, if you need a long cable, you can get 5m mini USB cables for about £1.60/$2.50 from eBay. It is just a cable with connectors, not a complicated piece of kit, so no need to splash out.

Lots of options out there.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Real Name
    Max

Well found! For some reason, they only have the updater for my model (60D), not the base software. Took me a fair bit of digging through drawers to find that disc. Most likely the same bit of software, too. Ah well. Done it now.