Thread: My second impression of the Sony Alpha a58 ~ Amazing potential

Real Name
    Brian

My second impression of the Sony Alpha a58 ~ Amazing potential

This was shot in JPEG, on aperture priority, center weighted A.F., hand held. Processing was done in Gimp. I tried very hard to leave the bg as it came out of the camera. I worked on the colour of the cicada exoskeleton.

There is simply no way I could have done this shot with the Fujifilm S4200. After less than a week with this camera I am putting out far superior shots using the same skills and techniques. There are certainly superior cameras out there but so far this one seems well worth the money.

My one and only (so far) complaint is that the on off switch is awkward for me to use when I turn the camera on.
    My second impression of the Sony Alpha a58 ~ Amazing potential

Real Name
    Greg

Re: My second impression of the Sony Alpha a58 ~ Amazing potential

The detail on the Cicada is really sharp where the focal point is, great detail on the legs.
    I notice the exposure is a lot brighter than some of your first images that you took with the A58, is this due to post processing or are these shots primarily sooc.
    Enjoying your posts and interesting to read your impressions on the Sony.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by gregj1763 View Post
    The detail on the Cicada is really sharp where the focal point is, great detail on the legs.
    I notice the exposure is a lot brighter than some of your first images that you took with the A58, is this due to post processing or are these shots primarily sooc.
    Enjoying your posts and interesting to read your impressions on the Sony.
    I did close to 20 processing steps. But I was very intentional about not messing up the bg which was beautiful sooc.

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    I did close to 20 processing steps. But I was very intentional about not messing up the bg which was beautiful sooc.
    I think that as you get used to the camera and what it can do you will find that you will need to do lesson pp depending on what you are trying to achieve.
    Enjoy

Real Name
    John

Nicely done.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by gregj1763 View Post
    I think that as you get used to the camera and what it can do you will find that you will need to do lesson pp depending on what you are trying to achieve.
    Enjoy
    I am sure you are right. This camera has a lot of options and many of them mix and match. This shot worked so well because the center weighted focus matched up with the 11" stay back this far or I won't work and the proper F/ to produce that beautiful blurred background. Just for your information the background is a clump (stand?) of Lemon grass.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nicely done.
    it did come together nicely. Can't wauit to see what happens at the end of week 2!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Brian,

You've referred to center-weighted focusing twice. I understand the term, center-weighted metering, but not center-weighted focusing. Please explain.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Brian,

You've referred to center-weighted focusing twice. I understand the term, center-weighted metering, but not center-weighted focusing. Please explain.
    As I have said, the tech side is not my strong side. I meant 'center weighted metering mode' When used with the correct focus set up it concentrates the in focus brightest lit area to the center and effectively progressively blurs and dims the background. At least that is how I understand it.
    B.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

When used with the correct focus set up it concentrates the in focus brightest lit area to the center and effectively progressively blurs and dims the background.
    I don't use a Sony system and though I looked up the metering as explained by your camera manual, it was less than helpful. Even so, my understanding is that no metering system affects anything having to do with how the camera focuses or on what it focuses. Also consider the situation when the center of the scene is its darkest area. In that situation, the other areas will still be recorded brighter than the center, not dimmer.

The only reason I bring this stuff to your attention is that you will be more effective with the greatest ease if you gain command of how your camera works. I'm also comparatively weak when it comes to the technical stuff but you and I can remain that way while understanding the basic functions such as metering and focusing.

Real Name
    Brian

I don't use a Sony system and though I looked up the metering as explained by your camera manual, it was less than helpful. Even so, my understanding is that no metering system affects anything having to do with how the camera focuses or on what it focuses. Also consider the situation when the center of the scene is its darkest area. In that situation, the other areas will still be recorded brighter than the center, not dimmer.

The only reason I bring this stuff to your attention is that you will be more effective with the greatest ease if you gain command of how your camera works. I'm also comparatively weak when it comes to the technical stuff but you and I can remain that way while understanding the basic functions such as metering and focusing.
    The manual is indeed a little thin. I am looking for more info on youtube. Wish me luck.

I couldn't agree with Mike more. Knowing how the camera does its thing is imperative to getting it to perform at its best.
    I couldn't get an in focus shot with my D7000 to save my life when I first got it. Then I learned how it focuses and wah lah (sp?), all the pictures started turning out perfectly in focus.

Real Name
    Brian

I agree and I am working on it!

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysOnAuto View Post
    I couldn't agree with Mike more. Knowing how the camera does its thing is imperative to getting it to perform at its best.
    I couldn't get an in focus shot with my D7000 to save my life when I first got it. Then I learned how it focuses and wah lah (sp?), all the pictures started turning out perfectly in focus.
    I continue to search the cyber world and even to contact B&H customer service to find answers. it will take a while but it will come together.

Real Name
    Richard

I am glad that you are happy with your new camera. I am not totally happy with my new Canon SX50-HS. A camera does have (despite many pundits stating everything is due to photographer's talent or lack thereof) a lot to do with the quality of the imagery produced.

Shooting with a DSLR (especially my 7D) I normally have less than 5% of my imagery not usable (due to focus, exposure or what have you). This has improved a bit over the years since I first started shooting with a DSLR but, my results with any of the different DSLR cameras I have used (D60, 10D, 350D, 30D, 40D and 7D) have always been, right from the start, very good to excellent.

However, although my recent acquisition (Canon SX50-HS) is just fine for the purposes for which I purchased it, it is not a good general purpose camera for me. I am getting somewhere around 40% acceptable images when I am shooting a moving subject. In fact, if the SX50-HS were the only digital camera available, I would still be shooting film.

I am sure that after some experience with my new camera, I will improve my performance with it. When I get a good image from it, it is really nice. The trick will be for me to keep using it. It is perfect for shooting adoption event images of people with their newly adopted dogs from our rescue group. These images are very important for our publicity...

And speaking about manuals, the PDF supplied with the SX50-HS is certainly not the best manual I have ever used.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I am glad that you are happy with your new camera. I am not totally happy with my new Canon SX50-HS. A camera does have (despite many pundits stating everything is due to photographer's talent or lack thereof) a lot to do with the quality of the imagery produced.

Shooting with a DSLR (especially my 7D) I normally have less than 5% of my imagery not usable (due to focus, exposure or what have you). This has improved a bit over the years since I first started shooting with a DSLR but, my results with any of the different DSLR cameras I have used (D60, 10D, 350D, 30D, 40D and 7D) have always been, right from the start, very good to excellent.

However, although my recent acquisition (Canon SX50-HS) is just fine for the purposes for which I purchased it, it is not a good general purpose camera for me. I am getting somewhere around 40% acceptable images when I am shooting a moving subject. In fact, if the SX50-HS were the only digital camera available, I would still be shooting film.

I am sure that after some experience with my new camera, I will improve my performance with it. When I get a good image from it, it is really nice. The trick will be for me to keep using it. It is perfect for shooting adoption event images of people with their newly adopted dogs from our rescue group. These images are very important for our publicity...

And speaking about manuals, the PDF supplied with the SX50-HS is certainly not the best manual I have ever used.
    I have lucked out and found some very good videos both single and series about the a58. This may be of interest? Because the a58 is NOT a dslr it can shoot at what I am told is a decent rate 8fps for ever. With the added benefit of live view through the lcd.This works because of the 'translucent mirror' never moving.

I haven't tried it yet but it is a good in theory idea.
    Brian

Real Name
    John

As I have said, the tech side is not my strong side. I meant 'center weighted metering mode' When used with the correct focus set up it concentrates the in focus brightest lit area to the center and effectively progressively blurs and dims the background. At least that is how I understand it.
    B.
    I use a Sony A55 which is probably not all that different from your A58. This offers three options for the auto-focus area: Wide, Spot and Local. I would typically use spot for close-ups.

I hope that you continue to enjoy your A58.

John

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRostron View Post
    I use a Sony A55 which is probably not all that different from your A58. This offers three options for the auto-focus area: Wide, Spot and Local. I would typically use spot for close-ups.

I hope that you continue to enjoy your A58.

John
    I will give spot a try. I hope i will too.