Thread: NIK software

Real Name
    John

NIK software

I've viewed numerous video tutorials, wondered If there was anything in print.

http://www.amazon.com/Nik-Efex-Start...A5AQA43AEDX90Q

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Re: NIK software

John...it's $4...if you're short I can float ya...what's the downside...

Real Name
    Dave

I followed the link - and discovered I'd bought it last year

Obviously made a great impression on me. I don't think it would do much for you

I think this is a better bet, but costs a little more http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plug-Nik-Pho...ds=Plug+in+nik

Hope the link works!

Dave

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    John...it's $4...if you're short I can float ya...what's the downside...
    No downside at all.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    I followed the link - and discovered I'd bought it last year

Obviously made a great impression on me. I don't think it would do much for you

I think this is a better bet, but costs a little more http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plug-Nik-Pho...ds=Plug+in+nik

Hope the link works!

Dave
    David,

Thanks for the link, the only plug-in that I need help with is the sharpening tools, never makes any improvement of my images.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    David,

Thanks for the link, the only plug-in that I need help with is the sharpening tools, never makes any improvement of my images.
    John I have several of the Robin Whalley ebooks and I've found them very useful. I like his style of writing. There is one that specifically deals with Nik Sharpener Pro 3. You can see it listed at the bottom of the page you referenced.

Dave

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    John I have several of the Robin Whalley ebooks and I've found them very useful. I like his style of writing. There is one that specifically deals with Nik Sharpener Pro 3. You can see it listed at the bottom of the page you referenced.

Dave
    Thanks Dave.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

John, Viveza 2 is a good image sharpener with its structure option...and with Color Efex you might want to play with Detail Extractor...and put it a few filters for the recipe you want to combine with it...Just be a little bit careful with the Detail Extractor as it can make your image too sharp for comfort. Use the slider to the strength you want. I have been playing with these two software inside Nik for two weeks now so I feel more comfortable using them.

Thanks Dave for the link. I have yet to play with the other suites so I might buy that book seeing that we have Kindle somewhere here...

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    John, Viveza 2 is a good image sharpener with its structure option...and with Color Efex you might want to play with Detail Extractor...and put it a few filters for the recipe you want to combine with it...Just be a little bit careful with the Detail Extractor as it can make your image too sharp for comfort. Use the slider to the strength you want. I have been playing with these two software inside Nik for two weeks now so I feel more comfortable using them.

Thanks Dave for the link. I have yet to play with the other suites so I might buy that book seeing that we have Kindle somewhere here...
    Izzie,

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a try.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Izzie,

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a try.
    Just make sure you save the recipe by giving it a unique name for you. I usually name mine as Izzie 1 wood, Izzie 2 airplane metal, Izzie 3 airplane painted, etc. What works well for, eg. woman shots doesn't work for men shots as far as skin goes, vice versa. What sometimes works for your landscape shot of say, shiny metal, doesn't work for landscape of texture on wood, so your workflow will be easier especially if you have a lot of images to process in the same event where the light changes according to weather and lighting condition. My red Corvette changed to orange in one of my shots so I have to go back and re-processed the darn thing again and moved some sliders back. It is a fun addictive way to while away your extra hours and yet be productive enough to call it a day before you go to sleep...makes you dream in colour anyway... Don't ask me why...

Give me a post or PM mail if you need help...

Real Name
    Richard

I love NIK software...

I start my workflow with Sharpener Pro 3 Raw Presharpener or, if I am shooting at a high ISO for the particular camera that I am using, I will use Dfine 2...

I use Viveza for almost all of my images. One of my favorite sliders is Structure which I use on just about all of my images to one degree or another. I also use the Brightness, Contrast, Saturation and Shadow Adjustments sliders...

I will use Viveza globally and also I take advantage of the NIK Control Point system which I consider really great.

I also use Color Efex and Silver Efex. I have not had the occasion to use HDR Efex primarily because I don't really like JDR work...

Although I down loaded a Kindle edition of one of the Robin Wolley books, I learn most of my NIK tricks fro YouTube Videos.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Just make sure you save the recipe by giving it a unique name for you. I usually name mine as Izzie 1 wood, Izzie 2 airplane metal, Izzie 3 airplane painted, etc. What works well for, eg. woman shots doesn't work for men shots as far as skin goes, vice versa. What sometimes works for your landscape shot of say, shiny metal, doesn't work for landscape of texture on wood, so your workflow will be easier especially if you have a lot of images to process in the same event where the light changes according to weather and lighting condition. My red Corvette changed to orange in one of my shots so I have to go back and re-processed the darn thing again and moved some sliders back. It is a fun addictive way to while away your extra hours and yet be productive enough to call it a day before you go to sleep...makes you dream in colour anyway... Don't ask me why...

Give me a post or PM mail if you need help...
    Izzie,

Thanks for the additional information. Your comments about skin textures is very true and I believe most of the NIK tools are designed for particular textures, the sharpening tools seem to be designed for landscape images although I've seen them used on portraits.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I love NIK software...

I start my workflow with Sharpener Pro 3 Raw Presharpener or, if I am shooting at a high ISO for the particular camera that I am using, I will use Dfine 2...

I use Viveza for almost all of my images. One of my favorite sliders is Structure which I use on just about all of my images to one degree or another. I also use the Brightness, Contrast, Saturation and Shadow Adjustments sliders...

I will use Viveza globally and also I take advantage of the NIK Control Point system which I consider really great.

I also use Color Efex and Silver Efex. I have not had the occasion to use HDR Efex primarily because I don't really like JDR work...

Although I down loaded a Kindle edition of one of the Robin Wolley books, I learn most of my NIK tricks fro YouTube Videos.
    Richard,

Similar workflow and use of youtube. As I stated in post#12, most of the tutorials seem geared towards landscapes; so I'm always on the lookout for additional tutorials.