Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2015 Weekly Photos - Part 3

My 2015 Weekly Photos - Part 3

I will try to post at least one photo per week during 2015. The scenes will vary to show something of the area where I live and things which happen here.

In order to keep this thread within a reasonable size I will split it into 4 sections. Part 2 is here:-

My Weekly Photos During 2015 - Part 2

Week 27 - Seen from the coast path

Burgh Island. Nice still bright morning but not much insect life around so tried a few landscapes etc.

7D with Canon 70-200 lens 1/640 F11 Iso 200. A merge of two focus points.

Hope Cove.

1/320 F11 Iso 200 another merge of focus points

Chewing the cud.

1/500 F11 Iso 200. Starting to cloud over now.

I know the paranoids are after me; but are these two laughing at me?

Last edited by Geoff F; 26th June 2015 at 07:16 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: My 2015 Weekly Photos - Part 3

Nicely done, the sheep are amusing.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Yes...they are...I love them though...I like that you show the place where you live. Lucky you...is this salt water over there? If it is, do you have problems with salt or rust in your car?

Real Name
    David

Lovely captures Geoff

Real Name
    Binnur

Very nice shots , funny sheep

Real Name
    Bruce

Geoff, a nice collection of images. Is my recollection correct that you do these focus merges via Photoshop?

Thanks.

Yes that is the real sea, Izzie, although there is a small river coming in from the right side. We certainly get a lot of salt in the air on occasions during winter storms. Modern cars aren't so bad with all that plastic and protected metalwork. But there was always plenty of rust about with those earlier models.

The later versions of Adobe CS and now CC have very effective auto aligning and blending options, Bruce. Before going down the CC route I did some tests between that and Zerene and I couldn't see any difference between them. Well in actual practice, when you need to do a bit of cloning over part of one image to force the software to choose the required items it is often easier to work with Adobe.

For example when an insect moves a leg or antennae; or in this case where one of the sheep moved its head.

Week 28 - Some dogs were born to dig . . .

. . . but I think that is going too far!

I was set up for macro insect work when I saw this digger coming along a track and couldn't resist a quick shot. No time to change lenses so all I could do was select aperture priority, click and hope for the best.

7D with Sigma 180 macro lens plus 1.4x converter. 1/100 F11 Iso 400.

Real Name
    Izzie

Deciding to have a funny day, Geoff? Either the dog is creative or you are.... I love it...does he have a slave running that machine? Does he need my backhoe to dig any hole over there?

Thanks for the smiles...

Real Name
    Bruce

Geoff, this photo brought a real smile to my face. I love it!

Week 29 - Always get the best camera angle

Another quick shot attempt. But the shutter speed was really a bit too slow so there are some problems with this image.

40D with Canon 24-105 lens 1/20 F8 Iso 800. A rather dark scene so I quickly set the Iso at 800 and the aperture to F8 in AV mode then hoped for the best. By the time I realised the only hope of getting an acceptable shutter speed would be to open the aperture a little wider, the situation had passed.
    But I suspect I would have had focus depth problems wider than F6.3 anyway. Hence my guess of F8 as a starting point.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Some great candid shots of the girl and the dog Geoff. The landscape scenes are very nice too.

Dave

Real Name
    Izzie

I still prefer the smiling sheeps...not beaten yet there...

Yes, Izzie, just a matter of being in the right place at the right time and looking for something a bit different.

A couple more quick real life shots to add to Week 29. A plant survey taking place at the wildlife reserve where I take a lot of my insect photos.

7D with Tamron 24-70 lens 1/320 F11 Iso 400. Possibly shot a little on the tight side but by the time I zoomed out for a second shot the scene had changed and I preferred this one.

1/640 F11 Iso 400. Had a bit of trouble with over exposure on the small white areas so I had to use a little bit of negative exposure compensation.

Real Name
    Izzie

I had a hard time at the Beermaster Tour last Thursday because of mixed lighting...but these are all nicely exposed...at least you are with nature. That first guy in short sleeves, at the first image, would he be itching with all those grass touching his skin? I too like the second image best...it has more breathing room.

Real Name
    Yogs

A click from highway drive
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    David

Nice captures Geoff, is the young lady in the first image the one with the bug on butt?

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Week 29 - Always get the best camera angle

Another quick shot attempt. But the shutter speed was really a bit too slow so there are some problems with this image.

40D with Canon 24-105 lens 1/20 F8 Iso 800. A rather dark scene so I quickly set the Iso at 800 and the aperture to F8 in AV mode then hoped for the best. By the time I realised the only hope of getting an acceptable shutter speed would be to open the aperture a little wider, the situation had passed.
    But I suspect I would have had focus depth problems wider than F6.3 anyway. Hence my guess of F8 as a starting point.
    Nice capture.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Yes, Izzie, just a matter of being in the right place at the right time and looking for something a bit different.

A couple more quick real life shots to add to Week 29. A plant survey taking place at the wildlife reserve where I take a lot of my insect photos.

7D with Tamron 24-70 lens 1/320 F11 Iso 400. Possibly shot a little on the tight side but by the time I zoomed out for a second shot the scene had changed and I preferred this one.

1/640 F11 Iso 400. Had a bit of trouble with over exposure on the small white areas so I had to use a little bit of negative exposure compensation.
    Nice series, would have been great if you could have gotten some elevation on the shot. Have you thought of carrying a stepstool with you on your excursions or would the added weight and infrequent usage make it a liability?

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Apologies I have missed these as we have started a new quarter. Like the others I like the sheep and dog shots - well grabbed. The camera angle shot is the sort my husband is always taking of me - but it looks like you have redeemed yourself getting in low to take shots of your colleagues at the reserve. I am sure there is a caption in their somewhere on the lines of 'how many people does it take to........' I particularly like the first shot for the characters involved; the person in red in the background finishes it off too.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast