Thread: Portrait shoot - June 26, 2015 - C&C Welcome

Real Name
    Raj

Portrait shoot - June 26, 2015 - C&C Welcome

Hi, going forward on my photography venture I stopped and clicked another shot. Can you please review it and let me know what exactly is missing for it to make it much better?

She is 42 years of age and she is not a pro model but I have clicked a lady which have never into modelling and this is what my goal is to learn the basics.

Please provide your views and suggestion with composition, frame, crops and processing.

Thank You

PS : Please click on the image for lightbox screen view (Highly recommended)

Portrait shoot - June 26, 2015  - C&C Welcome

Real Name
    John

Re: Portrait shoot - June 26, 2015 - C&C Welcome

She definitely has the look and stature of a model. Nicely captured, good background source, nice pose and crop although would have liked to see full figure.

Real Name
    Jim

I'm certainly not a portrait shooter, so take everything below with a grain or two of salt except for the first few lines:

She's a great subject, very photogenic. Nice choice.
    You have her at a nice, soft delicate pose.

Maybe a bit under exposed and a bit too soft. Sharpening a bit may add to it, or not! It is rather nice as a soft portrait.

I think considering the left elbow is so tight to the frame that if you were to crop the bottom so her right middle finger has the same space, crop the camera left side so her elbow has roughly the same room as the left and crop the top at maybe twice the space as the other crops (I think I'm trying to say tighten up the crop) would make for a very nice presentation.

I would clean up the very light wild hairs around the camera left hairline to tidy it up a bit.

I like the way her left hand is positioned, but I think it would be more delicate looking if it were angled side on to slim the appearance of the hand more.

I think your shot has a lot going for it.

Real Name
    Terry

Just as a couple of quick comments along with the others Raj. It looks to me as if there may be the slightest red/magenta color cast on the skin tones. Very slight.

A bit soft to me. And I think the shot would benefit from a vignetting because of the BG being close to and brighter in areas than the subject.

I think I might have positioned her a bit more turned to her left (camera right) and then had her turn back toward the camera. I think this would have complimented her figure more.

But the main worry I would have about this shot if mine is the camera left (her right) eye.

Because of her hair allowing only the white of that eye to show it looks very unnatural to me. Especially in light of the other eye being so beautiful. I thought it might be a prosthetic when I first opened the shot. Maybe if the hair was pulled back a little more or she was looking a bit further toward camera right to get the cornea showing a bit more instead of looking straight at the camera it might have helped mitigate what I am seeing. Or possibly having the hair cover the eye completely might be an option.

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    She definitely has the look and stature of a model. Nicely captured, good background source, nice pose and crop although would have liked to see full figure.
    thanks a lot for your kind review and suggestion

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by Jimr1961 View Post
    I'm certainly not a portrait shooter, so take everything below with a grain or two of salt except for the first few lines:

She's a great subject, very photogenic. Nice choice.
    You have her at a nice, soft delicate pose.

Maybe a bit under exposed and a bit too soft. Sharpening a bit may add to it, or not! It is rather nice as a soft portrait.

I think considering the left elbow is so tight to the frame that if you were to crop the bottom so her right middle finger has the same space, crop the camera left side so her elbow has roughly the same room as the left and crop the top at maybe twice the space as the other crops (I think I'm trying to say tighten up the crop) would make for a very nice presentation.

I would clean up the very light wild hairs around the camera left hairline to tidy it up a bit.

I like the way her left hand is positioned, but I think it would be more delicate looking if it were angled side on to slim the appearance of the hand more.

I think your shot has a lot going for it.
    thanks a lot for your valuable review and detailed suggestion

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    Just as a couple of quick comments along with the others Raj. It looks to me as if there may be the slightest red/magenta color cast on the skin tones. Very slight.

A bit soft to me. And I think the shot would benefit from a vignetting because of the BG being close to and brighter in areas than the subject.

I think I might have positioned her a bit more turned to her left (camera right) and then had her turn back toward the camera. I think this would have complimented her figure more.

But the main worry I would have about this shot if mine is the camera left (her right) eye.

Because of her hair allowing only the white of that eye to show it looks very unnatural to me. Especially in light of the other eye being so beautiful. I thought it might be a prosthetic when I first opened the shot. Maybe if the hair was pulled back a little more or she was looking a bit further toward camera right to get the cornea showing a bit more instead of looking straight at the camera it might have helped mitigate what I am seeing. Or possibly having the hair cover the eye completely might be an option.

thanks a lot for your kind review and suggestion. I will surely take care of it in my next photoshoot