Thread: Filters...Talk to me...which ones do you carry?

Real Name
    Ankit

Filters...Talk to me...which ones do you carry?

Kind of piggybacking off the other thread that asked what camera people had, I wanted to get an idea of what filters people are carrying (with brand). I haven't invested too much into filters outside of the ones that are packaged in with the lenses I get (tiffen/proOptic). I know not the greatest brands. Usually keep a UV filter on the lens, CP, and ND around. I've gotten warming and enhancing ones that I've never used.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Filters...Talk to me...which ones do you carry?

In addition to clear / UV for lens protection on some of my lenses, I also use polarizing filters frequently. Less frequently I use neutral density filters and graduated neutral density filters.

Anything else can be done in post production, so no need for other filters. Some have argued that one can simulate the effect of grad filters with a gradient, but I have found this to be a bit questionable (situations where the sky would be blown out without a GND, for instance).

Real Name
    Erwin Rüegg

Quote Originally Posted by THaNaToZ View Post
    Kind of piggybacking off the other thread that asked what camera people had, I wanted to get an idea of what filters people are carrying (with brand). I haven't invested too much into filters outside of the ones that are packaged in with the lenses I get (tiffen/proOptic). I know not the greatest brands. Usually keep a UV filter on the lens, CP, and ND around. I've gotten warming and enhancing ones that I've never used.
    I usually carry with me:
    a) a circular polarizer filter (to screw on my lens(es) which have the same diameter; product: Sony)
    b) a set of ND and GND by Cokin if doing landscapes.
    I am not using Adobe Software for post-processing, so I have no advice on "doing filters" on the computer.

Erwin
    Last edited by Krawuntzel; 15th June 2015 at 05:01 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

First thing that happens is that I buy a UV for every lens I purchase. It goes on the lens on day one and never comes off. These are Hoya Pro filters.

In addition:
    I have a polariser that I never use nowadays.
    My main weapons that are used are Cokin system Graduated Neutral Density filters and a Singh-Ray Thin Variable Neutral Density.

EDIT - I would add that I have just ordered a Canon 11-24 f4L. I am probably going to have sleepless nights worrying as there are no filters that can be fitted to the front element of this lens. I've never taken a lens out into the field 'naked' with no protection on the front element.

Real Name
    Tom

I carry two filters: a Marumi DHG Super CPL which I rarely use, and a Marumi DHG ND8 which I never use. I got the ND filter in case I wanted to use fill flash in bright sunlight (my camera doesn't support HSS), but I have yet to actually want to do that (I seldom take photos of people at all.) I loathe the cotton-candy water look, so I never use an ND filter for that purpose.

Real Name
    Venser

I have various B+W ND filters for most of my lenses, typically 0.3, 0.6, and 1.0.
    A circular polariser for each as well.

I'll throw on a B+W Clear MRC filter if I'm planning on being out when it's raining or snowing; otherwise I keep the front of my lenses naked.

Real Name
    Dan

General: all multicoated, reputable brands. Mostly midlevel in price, Marumi (a great deal) or Hoya, mostly MRC.

Re protective filters: I won't get into this argument, but I use them more often than not. I now buy multicoated protective filters rather than UV, since the UV filtration is superfluous for digital, and protective are cheaper.

I have circular polarizers (Hoya or Marumi) that I use often, 3-stop ND filters that I use once in a while, and one 10-stop ND that I use very rarely.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    First thing that happens is that I buy a UV for every lens I purchase. It goes on the lens on day one and never comes off. These are Hoya Pro filters.

In addition:
    I have a polariser that I never use nowadays.
    My main weapons that are used are Cokin system Graduated Neutral Density filters and a Singh-Ray Thin Variable Neutral Density.

EDIT - I would add that I have just ordered a Canon 11-24 f4L. I am probably going to have sleepless nights worrying as there are no filters that can be fitted to the front element of this lens. I've never taken a lens out into the field 'naked' with no protection on the front element.
    Donald:

There was a thread about this a year or so ago wherein a reader came up with a solution. If my memory serves me, it was on Fred Miranda, but don't recall when/where. Some sort of adapter extended the front of the lens to take a filter.

If I'm correct and it was on the FM forum, then it should be on the Canon sub-forum. It might even have been by Fred as he was shooting Canon as I recall and he has/had this lens.

Glenn

Real Name
    Richard

I always carry a polarizing filter for each lens - I shoot with two cameras and don't want to have to have to switch my polarizing filter each time I switch lenses/cameras. IMO, that would defeat the purpose of using a two camera setup... And, YES! It did hurt to purchase two identical size 77 mm filters...

I always carry, but don't always use a protective filter for each lens. I often travel in areas in which dust or grit blows. A protective filter combined with an OPTECH Rainsleeve and some judicious use of gaffer's tape will protect my lens.

I have carried a ND filter but, since I don't like the phony (to me) cotton candy look of moving water shot with ultra slow speeds. I seldom carry or use the ND.

I have a GND which I use so seldom, that I don't carry it with me on a regular basis. The CPL will, if the angle of the sun is correct, darken the sky and somewhat replace a GND.

I own a plethora of various filters left over from my film days that I neither use nor carry with me. However, I still keep them for sentimental reasons (translation: I am too lazy to list them on eBay for the price they would bring).

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn NK View Post
    There was a thread about this a year or so ago wherein a reader came up with a solution.
    I think you may be right, but It was probably much less than a year ago, as the lens has only been on the market since Feb/March this year? Apparently Canon is talking to Lee about making an adaptor that will take filters. I don't really take to the idea of using gel filters in the slot at the back element.

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

I do not normally carry any filters with me.

Real Name
    Richard

I don't really take to the idea of using gel filters in the slot at the back element.
    I used gel filters frequently when shooting motion pictures. In fact during the 1960's my standard 16mm film was Ektachrome Commercial which was balanced for 3200 kelvin. When shooting outside, we always used an 85 (not 85B which converted 3400 kelvin to daylight) which converted 3200 K to daylight.

In order to use the 85 filter on the Bell and Howell Model 70 (series) camera,
    we would remove one of the lenses, cut a circle from the gel and keep it in place with a spring clip. Once it was in place, we would leave it there until we needed to shoot at 3200 K. Often, in the field, we would lose the spring clip and fashion a replacement from a paper clip...

The gel was a very delicate material and could easily be marred and it attracted dust like a magnet. I detested using it but, we did not have individual filters for the three lenses on the turret of the Model 70 camera.

BTW: as an aside... The ISO was 25 at 3200 and 16 with the addition of the 85 filter. That gave me a standard exposure of between f/8 and f/11 in most outdoor situations. But it was always a pain if I had to move from shooting indoors with lights to outdoors.

Real Name
    Russell

Have the Lee system but it gets less and less use although Pol filter used most of the time, never now use filters as lens protection as cannot understand why you would pay hundreds if not thousand of pounds for a lens with top glass at the end then cover it with glass that costs only a few pounds, lens cap yes when not in use and a hood if needed.
    Russ

Real Name
    John

I carry CPOL filters and 3-stop ND filters. The ND filters are mostly used for outdoor portraits to allow me to reduce the depth of field and blur the background. I don't generally carry but will bring protective filters when I think I might get into a situation where they would be needed.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    ... as cannot understand why you would pay hundreds if not thousand of pounds for a lens with top glass at the end then cover it with glass that costs only a few pounds,
    To make a major contribution towards the minimising the risk to the, very expensive, front element being damaged (scratching etc). And if you can tell the difference between a pic taken with a filter on and no filter, then you're a better man than me.

Everyone (and it's been argued on here endlessly) goes on about the dropping scenario. That, I suggest, is a bit of a red herring. Much greater is the risk of scratching.

I'd rather have to buy a new filter than a new lens.

Real Name
    Dan

never now use filters as lens protection as cannot understand why you would pay hundreds if not thousand of pounds for a lens with top glass at the end then cover it with glass that costs only a few pounds
    I agree with Donald.

I agree with you about using cheap filters, but I don't. Some filters are made with higher-quality glass than some lenses. Do you by the same token try to buy lenses with fewer elements?

I have actually done my own tests to check this. If the light is not in front of the lens, I can't reliably tell the difference between images shot with and without a high-quality filter. If the light is in front of the lens, then flare is a risk, despite the coating on good filters. I don't use filters when I have lights in front of me (e.g. night photography) or in controlled circumstances where I have no reason to worry about the lens (e.g., indoor macro of flowers). I do use them most of the time otherwise, and I have had a number ruined over the years.

YMMV

Real Name
    Venser

Everyone (and it's been argued on here endlessly) goes on about the dropping scenario. That, I suggest, is a bit of a red herring. Much greater is the risk of scratching..
    Everyone is worried about a meaningless scratch. Seriously, take your 24-70 or 70-200 and put a pea sized opaque piece of paper on the front element. Head out and shot. You won't notice a thing.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008...ment-scratches
    http://petapixel.com/2015/06/10/we-f...r-sealed-lens/
    http://petapixel.com/2011/06/16/how-...image-quality/

Real Name
    Peter

I carry Lee ND grads in both soft and hard transitions with the pro filter holder which allows me to have filters mounted at angles to each other, "think about looking down through a steep sided valley with sky in the distant "V" of the valley which is one scenario for using this arrangement.
    I also carry a circular polariser, and three, six and ten stop grads these are the screw in types. My lenses all have UV filters fitted but...where possible I remove these when doing landscape photography. However with current post processing software I can really manage without the ND grads adding multiple grads in the software, this isn't the case with a circular polariser which AFAIK cannot be replicated in software.
    I recently unscrewed an Uv filter with the lens cap still attached unfortunately I dropped both on to a seaside pier which caused the filter glass to become detached, I never did find the glass retaining ring/clip so it must now be residing in Davey Jones locker Filters...Talk to me...which ones do you carry?

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

There is beauty to the front element of a lens and I get satisfaction out of caring for it. Just as I once did for my vinyl albums. Scratches are possible, I suppose. One can orient oneself to preventing them with filters if one wants. But, for me, that is worst case scenario logic. Better to enjoy the beauty of the lens. Covering it with a filter at all times is like taking robes to St. Tropez to protect the sun bathers. Less skin cancer, I suppose. Definitely less fun.

Real Name
    Trace

I carry the Lee holder and the following 100x100 filters.

ND
    Lee Big Stopper (ND 10 stops / 3.0)
    Lee 3 stop ND (.9)
    Haida 10 stop ND (3.0)
    Haida 6 stop ND (1.8)

Grads
    Lee 3-stop soft ND grad (.9)
    Hi-tech 2-stop reverse ND grad (.6)

The Haida 10 stop and 6 stop ND filters are new additions to my pouch as I had broken the Lee Little Stopper (6 stop) and decided to trial these in it's place after reading favourable reviews for their neutrality and cost effectiveness. Have yet to get back into the field to test them. If they go well, the Big Stopper will be sold on to a new home.

I also have a B&W screw-on polarizer that gets occasional use but that "lived" on my old cropped sensor 18-200mm. It doesn't play nice wider than 20mm on full frame. I also tend to shoot a lot of seascapes at dawn or dusk when polarizers aren't as useful. I mostly keep it on hand for waterfall shooting rather than skies.