Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Comparison of the Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 DX with ???

Real Name
    Wayne Reich

Comparison of the Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 DX with ???

Greetings!

I'm wondering about buying the Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 DX lens for use with the Metabones F to Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera adapter.

My main concern is how this lens stands up to some of the newer offerings by Tokina, Tamron, and Sigma.

I don't necessarily need commentary about the BMPCC or Metabones adapter, but I would really be grateful for anyone's experience using the Nikkor lens vs other lenses.

My primary camera is a D800e, and I already have a 14mm, 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, yada yada... I'm only curious about whether this DX lens performs well enough to use it as a dedicated lens for the BMPCC.

Thanks in advance!

- rwreich

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Comparison of the Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 DX with ???

Welcome to CiC. We are a still photo website, not a video website, and of course the Black Magic line are video cameras (2K or 4K). You are dealing with an 4MP or 8MP image size. Depending on a lot of factors, the appropriate lens selection will vary. I've shot everything from a f/2.8 11-14mm Tokina to the f/2.8 70-200mm Nikkor on my 2K Panasonic video camera. If push came to shove, I'd be tempted to shoot proper video lenses on a video camera...

I'd suggest you head over to http://www.dvxuser.com for questions as to the best lenses for your camera. You'll find a lot better advice from people that know the camera than you will here..

Real Name
    Wayne Reich

Okay, thanks for the reply... Wasn't really where to post this because it was a question about still-photography lenses. I'll try posting in other places, too.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Lots of still lenses are used in video work, but they are not ideal.

Still lenses tend to be varifocal, which means that focus changes as you change focal length; so you can't zoom in or out and keep the same point in focus. True video lenses are parfocal, where the focus does not change when you zoom in or out. A lot of still lenses have hard f-stop clicks, whereas video lenses do not, etc. etc.

Real Name
    Wayne Reich

True... I hadn't considered that because my current kit consists of prime lenses, only.

Thanks again for the insight!