Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At what cost??????

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: At what cost??????

Quote Originally Posted by PhotogRAFer View Post
    I do use cheaper alternatives where I can, as long as the quality is good. For instance, my 3 flashes are Yongnuo 560 III's which are excellent, and so much cheaper than the Nikon branded units.

But the question still remains as to how manufacturers can justify such a high price tag.
    My flashes are also YNs like yours and I have mine for quite sometime and hasn't failed me yet. Good choice.

Real Name
    Max

Just a note that I wouldn't trust the CRI ratings for LED. The LEDS might cover the full wavelength range, but they do it unevenly, scrimping severely on the reds and yellows. If I were concerned about colour accuracy, I wouldn't use LED.

I am not convinced the Ice Light is worth what they ask for it, but then I would be quite happy waving around an LED torch with a cardboard tube attached, because I don't do this for a living and don't have to impress anyone with my professionalism. If I were bringing the thing to do a paid wedding shoot, that would be different (I would still go with the half price ones on Amazon, though, for I am cheap).

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Max von MeiselMaus View Post
    Just a note that I wouldn't trust the CRI ratings for LED. The LEDS might cover the full wavelength range, but they do it unevenly, scrimping severely on the reds and yellows. If I were concerned about colour accuracy, I wouldn't use LED.
    http://www.yujiintl.com/high-cri-led-lighting

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    . . . . .
    Yes the Ice Light costs more but it offers more.
    Is it good value for money - the photographers using it day-to-day as part of their professional kit to help them earn a living would almost certainly say yes.
    Which makes me wonder about a wider issue - should rank amateurs even buy such stuff?

Then there's Ted's Square Law of price versus quality, e.g. twice the quality - four times the price.

Along with Ted's Cube Law of price versus gimmicks . . .

Real Name
    Robin

When it comes to spending money on a hobby then there are no absolutes - at least with a business purchase the outlay should justify the gains and give you a basis for the value but when its for yourself then the cost is only relevant to the individual. I might blow £500 on a bit of kit and think nothing of it, someone else might do the same on something costing £5000 while the next person might think we're both mad and think £50 is a lot of money.

Some of the wires knitting the back of my Hi-Fi together cost over £100. Do they sound one hundred times better than the standard cables - absolutely not but I think the difference in cost was worth the outlay. My Breitling cost ten times as much as my Tissot - they both have a genuine Swiss automatic movement, both look great when worn with a smart shirt and to be honest neither is the best time keeper I own but I believe both were good value for money. If I needed a wrist watch to keep accurate time for my job then a £10 Casio would be better so it would be impossible to justify a business outlay for £4k. They aren't for work they are just for me and so cost is simply whatever I personally am willing to pay.

Real Name
    Yes

It is suggested one takes up matters with Manufacturers.
    I do. Experiences include:

PR dept from Canon arranging that a printer out of guarantee be serviced foc at my house.

Corel Software where I complained about price in Europe vs USA and was supplied disk version at Education rate.

Currently awaiting callback from Adobe !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12