Thread: Walking stick / monopod

Real Name
    Kris

Walking stick / monopod

There have been many times where I was out and about on hikes or walks and wanted to set my camera on something to stabilize it a bit more than handheld. A tripod would probably be the best option, but I hate carrying one around with me. I am curious if anyone has experience with a walking stick that doubles as a monopod---something along the lines of this... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...l/prm/alsVwDtl

Thanks

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Walking stick / monopod

I have at least 3 different Tracks brand walking sticks that I've had for decades, all have a 1/4" standard tripod mount built in.

http://trackspoles.com/walking_hikin...=SherliteStaff

I've tried using the mount and it does work, but the solution is rather so-so. It takes time to unscrew the head and mount the camera (measured in seconds) and by that time I would have missed the shot. The light weight design has no adjustment possibilities, so the shooting angle is awkward and mounting a tripod or monopod head + the camera would be a real pain.

Would I recommend them as a walking stick; absolutely yes. Would I recommend them as a monopod; I'd have to suggest the concept is more interesting than useful. I have definitely used the walking stick while carrying my camera and tripod in a backpack and ended up shooting from the tripod. That makes for a far steadier shot while doing a strenuous hike...

Real Name
    Erwin Rüegg

Hello Kris
    I do it the reverse way; I own a Gitzo monopod with a head, that I sometimes use as a walking stick (as a prevalent walking stick it is rather expensive). It has served me well.
    Erwin

Real Name
    Bruce

L.L. Bean had a walking stick that by screwing off the head it became a monopod. I know this because I have two of them.
    You may want to contact them to determine if they still sell these kinds of walking sticks.

Bruce

Real Name
    randy

I"m with Erwin. My Manfrotto makes an awesome walking stick

Real Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by rtbaum View Post
    I"m with Erwin. My Manfrotto makes an awesome walking stick
    When I did my back in some years ago, I realised how much we rely upon our back and its skeletal muscular structure for most things we do as humans. When I was able to get out of bed and start to walk around, my Manfrotto monopod was a brilliant walking stick/prop. Nothing long distance but for solidity and ability to put back to its proper use once my back recovered, it certainly gets the thumbs up.

Real Name
    J stands for John

My wife uses a ski-pole as a rest for her camera when on walks ... I organised a thread in the top for her but she never uses that
    When I started using a monopod it made a big difference to results from my lightweight bridge camera and did the lens justice
    The point about a monopod is how you use it and this was the reason why I made myself a high [ 6ft plus ] version as when you stand relaxed you are creating a tripod with your two legs and the mono .... bent over to use a short mono most unlikely.
    Also if you have a long / heavy telephoto it is worth organizing a tripod threaded collar attachment for it... some lens have this built in.
    Last edited by jcuknz; 21st May 2015 at 07:52 AM.

Real Name
    Kris

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.
    It takes time to unscrew the head and mount the camera
    The speed (ease) of camera attachment/detachment is going to play a big part in which direction I take. I have an old tripod that has a quick release mounting plate, I wonder if any of the walking sticks offer a quick disconnect feature? I'm going to shop around and see what I can find---I may just tear apart my old tripod and make my own stick. If it doesn't work out as a monopod.....at least I will have a walking stick.

you stand relaxed you are creating a tripod with your two legs and the mono
    John, I think you make a good point about height. If the stick is too short and I have to lean over for every shot than my back will not last very long. Something else I will absolutely consider.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by KingsHockeyFan View Post
    Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

The speed (ease) of camera attachment/detachment is going to play a big part in which direction I take. I have an old tripod that has a quick release mounting plate, I wonder if any of the walking sticks offer a quick disconnect feature? I'm going to shop around and see what I can find---I may just tear apart my old tripod and make my own stick. If it doesn't work out as a monopod.....at least I will have a walking stick.

John, I think you make a good point about height. If the stick is too short and I have to lean over for every shot than my back will not last very long. Something else I will absolutely consider.
    For the first: if the walking stick has a standard-size screw for mounting a camera, you could buy a tilt head or small ballhead to screw onto it. However, weight will be an issue because you will be swinging the stick at every step. Benro and Oben both made inexpensive and lightweight tilt heads a few years ago, but even those might be too heavy for this purpose. I have a Kirk arca-swiss compatible tilt head on my monopod, and it is fine on a monopod, but it would be far too heavy for a walking stick.

Re the height: personally, that would be a big deal for me.

When I hike, if I am going to want a support, I just strap a monopod or tripod onto my pack and use hiking poles just for support while hiking.

Real Name
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    For the first: if the walking stick has a standard-size screw for mounting a camera, you could buy a tilt head or small ballhead to screw onto it. However, weight will be an issue because you will be swinging the stick at every step. Benro and Oben both made inexpensive and lightweight tilt heads a few years ago, but even those might be too heavy for this purpose. I have a Kirk arca-swiss compatible tilt head on my monopod, and it is fine on a monopod, but it would be far too heavy for a walking stick.
    Great point---an option I will also consider.
    Thank you

Real Name
    Richard

I have two different setups...

First is a Graphite monopod with an Arca-Compatible tilt head. This has often helped me over rugged terrain but, I don't use it as a walking stick per se.

Second is a hickory walking stick with the top cut off at a 90 degree angle (parallel to the ground when the stick is perpendicular). I drilled a hole in the flat top and epoxied a 1/4" x 20 bolt into the hole. I measured the bolt and left exactly enough to exposed yo fit into the tripod screw hole of my monopod tilt head. That way, when I have the bolt tightened into the tilt-head, it is quite tight and secure. This is a great walking stick but, leaves a bit to be desired because it has only one height. However, it is extremely sturdy and I can confidently put all my weight on this stick. I once had an inexpensive tripos collapse when I tried to use it as a walking stick.