Thread: Hawaiian Surfers

Real Name
    Bob Johnson

Hawaiian Surfers

I was recently on holidays in Kauai. When we arrived one of the first things I wanted to do was head out to the beach and take some shots of surfers. Not something I get to do very often living in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. I spent about two hours happily snapping away. I thought I had captured some pretty good shots and was excited to see the results. I was reasonably happy with the results, but I know there is definitely room for improvement. I have included some examples. I am looking for any tips or feedback on taking and/or editing these kind of shots. I look forward to your suggestions.

Hawaiian Surfers

Hawaiian Surfers

Hawaiian Surfers

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: Hawaiian Surfers

The first one is a good catch...normal to my eyes as I grew up watching these guys from the safety of my second story balcony each morning when I wake up and nearly at night...The rest of the shots are good action shots. If you are still in Hawaii, try to get #2 at a faster shutter speed than 1/640 a combination of sunshine and higher SS I was told recently, will surely freeze that subject...#3 is my favourite in this lot...red board, perfect weather condition though still a little bit soft...faster SS will surely makes this one better....but take my word lightly as I am still a greenie when it comes to photography myself...

Izzie has already said everything which I was thinking. The only slight addition being that it would have been nice in #1 to have light shining on his head instead of being in shadow. But that is obviously something which was beyond your control.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Bob, nice series +1 to Isabel.

Real Name
    John

Nice captures, were these taken from a pier or the beach?

Real Name
    Dean

+1 to Izzie's comments. I like the third shot.

Real Name
    Bob Johnson

Thank you for the feedback. I think shutter speed would have added some crispness to the shots. Especially with the light available. I wish I was still in Hawaii. A most amazing place to visit and relax. I will keep this in mind as I love taking these kind of action shots. I took these right from the beach using a Canon EF 100 to 400mm. So much fun!