Thread: Possible Fall trip to Yellowstone - tips?

Real Name
    Matthew

Possible Fall trip to Yellowstone - tips?

As some of you know, I am supposed to be in Yellowstone right now, but I injured my back, so the trip was canceled.

I'm considering possibly scheduling a new trip for this Fall.

I was hoping some of you with experience visiting YNP in fall, and shooting wildlife at that time, could offer some tips.

In particular I'm wondering what you think the best specific dates / weeks are, in terms of balancing the big three: crowds, weather, wildlife. For example "2nd week of September" or whatever the best time is that you think, just to give me a general idea.

I will need to be mindful of facility closing dates, lodging, and the fact that I don't have a 4wd vehicle

Luckily most of the main trip preparation, research, packing lists, equipment purchase, etc are all out of the way already since I did them for the trip I was supposed to be on now.

Thanks for any help

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Re: Possible Fall trip to Yellowstone - tips?

Matt:
    Sorry about your injury. I'm heading there for two weeks next Wednesday to shoot the spring babies. YNP is great in mid-late September if you hit the fall colors just right. Best place for that is in Grand Tetons, just south of YNP. Don't miss out on that. Truly breathtaking scenery. The definitive web site for Grand Tetons is Mike Jackson's "Best of the Tetons" see: http://www.bestofthetetons.com/

YNP will be good for Elk in rut with full antlers, especially good along the Madison River Valley out of West Yellowstone. Lamar Valley is good for bison, grizzlies (if you're lucky), black bear and wolves (at a great distance). Bring a BIG lens! You'll find Pronghorn antelope, osprey, etc. along the way. I'm going to explore Shoshone River out of Cody this trip because I've heard there is a large grizzly population there. Best of luck to you. I'll be taking my wife with me for Fall 2016 shooting.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Make sure to bring your pain stuff just in case...salonpas and tylenol. 'Hope you are healing well...

Real Name
    Randy Butters

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrel View Post
    I was hoping some of you with experience visiting YNP in fall, and shooting wildlife at that time, could offer some tips.

In particular I'm wondering what you think the best specific dates / weeks are, in terms of balancing the big three: crowds, weather, wildlife. For example "2nd week of September" or whatever the best time is that you think, just to give me a general idea.
    Matt, In my experience pretty much all the National Parks are a way better experience after about the first week of September. Most services are closed but the parks are fully accessible.

I went there in the last week of September of 2011--great fall color, lots of wildlife.

The climate turns wet at some point right around the end of September so it's a bit of a gamble that way. But if the temperatures hold & the rain doesn't move in, it is a fantastic time to be at Yellowstone. Temperatures vary wildly, from overnights near freezing & well up into the 90s on some days.

Real Name
    Matthew

Thanks for the replies everyone, very helpful tips! Best of luck on your trip, Bud