Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Us Your Bugs

Re: Show Us Your Bugs

Rather looks like some sort of bug larvae, Brian.

Real Name
    Jim

Current one from me. Can't go super close with the P&S so I try and catch the tiny ones in a nice environment. The crab spider is sitting on a tiny plant called Fleabane.

Show Us Your Bugs

The Fleabane here is just a few inches high at the moment and nowhere near to flowering but the Fleabane Tortoise Beetle larvae have just appeared on some leaves.

Show Us Your Bugs

You can just make out the well camouflaged little grub once you spot its eye. It also hides under a mix of old dead skin and excrement which forms around the other end!

There are also quite a few adult beetles around. These are survivors from the past mild winter.

Show Us Your Bugs

The sub adults are green but gradually turn dark orange to deep red when fully mature.

Another first for me is this rather blue Lacewing.

Show Us Your Bugs

Probably Chrysopa perla although it is very blue and the head markings don't exactly match my book. It was fluttering around with a rather weak flight looking like a powder blue lump of fluff.

Outside my door this morning was a 'nursery' of newly emerged Araneus diadematus spiderlings.

Show Us Your Bugs

The first one to 'leave home' is just a few mm long

Show Us Your Bugs

By the time I returned in the afternoon they had all dispersed.

I'm just starting to see the first Wasp Beetles of the year. They may look threatening but are harmless and the first one actually landed on my hand so I had to carefully place it on the ground for a photo..

Show Us Your Bugs

Show Us Your Bugs

Not nearly as pretty as some of the other photos here, but, it is a bug.

Show Us Your Bugs

Beetles and bugs have their place in the overall wildlife mix, Alan. In reality, I often find them to be harder to photograph, and identify, than many of the more colourful species.

I'm making use of a few cloudy days to gradually catch up on editing and identification; plus entering up the details to create usable records.

Blue-tailed Damselflies are generally regarded as a common species but they are actually rather scarce around here.

Show Us Your Bugs

This one is eating a small moth; and a Large Red Damselfly doing the same thing.

Show Us Your Bugs

Possibly one of these little moths which are everywhere, particularly on buttercups.

Show Us Your Bugs

And talking of little things, a rather young Meadow Grasshopper nymph in its pastel colouration.

Show Us Your Bugs

Real Name
    James Edwards

Hi Geoff, I've been seeing those little moths in buttercups up here too...

I was out this evening, (the weather is set to change) and captured these two shots... was quite pleased because it has been pretty windy this last week....

#1 Wood Gnat (Chironomidae maybe?)
    Show Us Your Bugs

#2 Wood Gnat
    Show Us Your Bugs

#3 Stretch Spider in thistle (a)
    Show Us Your Bugs

#4 Stretch Spider in thistle (b)
    Show Us Your Bugs

And from a few days back....

#5 Green Nettle Weevil....I wasn't looking for them particularly since I've photographed them earlier this month. This little guy decided to land/fall onto the back of my hand so....
    Show Us Your Bugs

#6 Green Nettle Weevil negotiating the hairs on the back of my wrist.... must be quite young, because hasn't lost many of it's scales.
    Show Us Your Bugs

#7 Ant... best I've managed this season...
    Show Us Your Bugs

Real Name
    Jim

Well done Alan and James.

Jim

Real Name
    John Gunning

Interesting thread.

Here's a photo of a light-blue soldier crab, Mictyris longicarpus, it is a species of crab found on sandy beaches from the Bay of Bengal to Australia; with other members of the genus Mictyris, it is "one of the most loved crabs in Australia". Wikipedia.Show Us Your Bugs

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Does this crab belong to the bug family? Just curious...well, b is bug, c is for crab...it'll pass... ... I think...

Very nice clear shot and subtly coloured too. Seems like there are more behind him...are they edible???

Quote Originally Posted by John Gunning View Post
    Interesting thread.

Here's a photo of a light-blue soldier crab, Mictyris longicarpus, it is a species of crab found on sandy beaches from the Bay of Bengal to Australia; with other members of the genus Mictyris, it is "one of the most loved crabs in Australia". Wikipedia.Show Us Your Bugs

Yes, I don't think we need to be too strict here; after all, we do allow spiders to join the bug club!

James, Part of the Chironomidae identification concerns whether the abdomen is banded or unbanded and I'm not totally sure from that camera angle; but it looks to be a plain abdomen.

So I seem to end up with Chaoborus crystallinus male.

Mike Hackson has produced some simplified keys which are more user friendly than many alternatives but at the moment I can only find my Chaoborus version. Somewhere I do have more information.

Incidentally, there are Mike Hackson keys for quite a wide range of insect species now if you search around for them.

You are doing well with the Phyllobius photos, I usually seem to end up with some over exposed areas from those reflective surfaces.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

All nice shots but I like the two green ones...especially the first green...it is more shiny-er. Your first two wood gnats have a very nice head dress. If they have colours in them it will be nicer...
    Quote Originally Posted by James G View Post
    Hi Geoff, I've been seeing those little moths in buttercups up here too...

I was out this evening, (the weather is set to change) and captured these two shots... was quite pleased because it has been pretty windy this last week....

#1 Wood Gnat (Chironomidae maybe?)
    Show Us Your Bugs

#2 Wood Gnat
    Show Us Your Bugs

#3 Stretch Spider in thistle (a)
    Show Us Your Bugs

#4 Stretch Spider in thistle (b)
    Show Us Your Bugs

And from a few days back....

#5 Green Nettle Weevil....I wasn't looking for them particularly since I've photographed them earlier this month. This little guy decided to land/fall onto the back of my hand so....
    Show Us Your Bugs

#6 Green Nettle Weevil negotiating the hairs on the back of my wrist.... must be quite young, because hasn't lost many of it's scales.
    Show Us Your Bugs

#7 Ant... best I've managed this season...
    Show Us Your Bugs

Real Name
    Brian

I know a caterpillar is not a bug and it is already posted under my own name but it is a great and colourful caterpillar that is about 6 inches long and as thick as an average mans thumb. PS the colours are as close as I can get them to what I saw.
    Show Us Your Bugs

That, Brian, looks like a monster from one of those horror movies of the 1950's and 60's.

There are several types of sawflies around at the moment. For example Strongylogaster multifasciata which lays eggs in the tips of bracken ferns.

Show Us Your Bugs

And a Tenthredo mesomela

Show Us Your Bugs

We don't seem to be getting many moths posted. So here is a tiny Longhorn Moth of some type. Tricky characters to fully identify but the males have these extraordinary long antennae

Show Us Your Bugs

They are daylight flying moths while others like this Yellow-barred Brindle hide during the day and try to merge into the background.

Show Us Your Bugs
    Last edited by Geoff F; 30th May 2015 at 05:44 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

All very good, but the sawfly image is exceptional

Real Name
    Mark

been absent - work is not fun it really gets in the way, but anyway, a jumping spider - nowhere near up to Daves standards but hand held with no flash

Thank you Geoff for the Tenthredo mesomela ID - I got one of them and was about to start hunting down the name

I believe it is a Evarcha falcata

Nikon D7100 - Sigma 150mm macro, F7.1, 1/500th Iso 640 +1ev

Show Us Your Bugs

Yes, 'jumpers' are wonderful cuddly little spiders.

I have been attempting to catch up on editing and identifying some craneflies.

Tipula luna.

Show Us Your Bugs

And Tipula maxima the biggest UK cranefly. I had been trying to photograph these for several days but they kept getting amongst foliage so I couldn't find a clear shot. Then when I was resting in the shade for a bit of lunch and a review of previous shots this one flew in and landed beside me. Still a bit of a tricky angle and it was in shade. I didn't want to use flash in case the light variation caused a wing twitch problem. But I did take some OK with flash later although I lost a bit of wing texture that way.

Show Us Your Bugs

Real Name
    Mark

wow two great shots of craneflys and both have all their legs

oh wait nope one has a missing leg - natural order is rerstored

Real Name
    Jim

Nice catch of the spider Mark.

After a good day for new species this year I'm getting behind with editing and identification again. But here are a few quick shots which were chosen chiefly because I had identification problems with some of them and have had to send photos to a wildlife site.

Boat Bugs - Enoplops scapha possibly

Show Us Your Bugs

A fritillary. Probably a Dark Green Fritillary but they were flitting around on the clifftop and I never managed a photo of the undersides. In fact I really struggled to get any keepers at all.

Show Us Your Bugs

The first Robber Fly of the year (Dioctria rufipes); this one wouldn't cooperate either and kept moving around so I struggled to keep up and get any focused shots.

Show Us Your Bugs

And a Speckled Bush Cricket.

Show Us Your Bugs

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast