Thread: Should I buy another lens?

Real Name
    Sam

Should I buy another lens?

In about five days I'm going to be getting a Canon 70D with a Canon 18-55mm lens and 55-200mm lens. These came with the camera as part of a deal online. I have about $200 remaining from this purchase and plan to be doing a lot of landscape shooting. What I'm wondering is, are these good lenses for this, or should I trade in one or both of these for some other type?

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: Should I buy another lens?

Welcome to CiC

The content of the question implies this is a 'beginning stage'.

My best advice is:

1. Unpack the camera
    2. Charge the battery
    3. Whilst the battery is charging read the User Manual - much of it probably won't make sense - concentrate on the first part, the basic bit, I think Canon still refer to it as "Getting Started"
    4. The battery is now charged
    5. With the two lenses that you have get out and take at least 1000 Photographs to the best of your ability
    6. Ask lots of question on the journey
    7. When you are up to 1000 Photographs you will have an idea what you require and you will be able to ask a much more targeted question then about what next it is, that you should buy

WW

Real Name
    Allan Short

With the left over money, do not forget SD Card for camera, processing software if shooting in RAW, cable or remote shutter release, tripod (the $200 alone will not get a good tripod look more towards $400+ a head). So forget another lens until you get the other needed items then only once you have pushed yourself and the lens you have.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    Sam

Ok, I realize I may be jumping the gun a bit!

the $200 alone will not get a good tripod look more towards $400+ a head
    Really!? What makes a $100 tripod different from a $200 or $400 tripod?

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Quote Originally Posted by sammoe View Post
    Ok, I realize I may be jumping the gun a bit!

Really!? What makes a $100 tripod different from a $200 or $400 tripod?
    Stability!

Real Name
    Dan

One good rule of thumb is not to buy any more equipment until you know what you need.

In the case of lenses, the two you have are a fine pair for starting out. I second Bill's suggestion. After you gain some experience, you may decide you need something different, but no one can tell you now what that will be. It will depend on what you shoot, how you shoot it, what your preferences are, etc.

Re a tripod: I would give you the same advice for that. Don't buy one yet. I agree with Allan--a cheap one usually just puts off when you buy a better one. However, they come with a bewildering array of features, and if you are just starting out, you don't yet know which you will want. Moreover, the desirable features depend on what you end up shooting. For example, my choice of tripod legs was determined by my two primary uses, macro and hiking, and I ended up with two different heads, one for each of these purposes. Because of hiking, I needed light weight for both the legs and one of the heads. Because of macro, I wanted a reversible center column with the legs and a geared head. Other people have very different preferences.

Real Name
    Kathy

Don't go down the "better lens" path just yet. You haven't even gotten your current lenses!

Generally, learn technique. Shoot the hell out of what you've got. When you start getting really frustrated about something you want to shoot that your current gear is actively stopping you from getting, then it's time to look at your gear, and to see if something else might help you achieve your goal. Whatever the source of the frustration should help lead you to what it is you might want to get.

Bank the $200. Start adding to it. The world of dSLR photography gear can get expensive. Most of us would probably say if you HAVE to blow the $200, consider a) a book [Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure is oft-recommended for the dSLR newb] class or workshop to learn how to use your camera, b) cards / batteries / a card reader, and c) post-processing software [Adobe Lightroom and the Gimp are oft-recommended--particularly if you feel you're outgrowing Picasa or iPhoto/Photos].

Your 18-55 kit lens is a decent landscape lens, particularly if you use it stopped down into the f/8-f/16 aperture range and at the wide end, and you have some way of stabilizing the camera (beanbag, fence rail, tripod, whatever). If you eventually bash up against the 18mm end of the lens all the time and want to go wider, then you could consider the EF-S 10-18. But I'd wait until that happens before going there. When I started out, I found I liked to shoot long, not wide. A kit lens may be cheap and it may be limited, but that doesn't mean it turns all your photos butt ugly.

Right now, you're kind of in the chicken-and-the-egg dilemma stage. You don't have the experience with gear to know what gear you need, yet. Maybe shoot a few thousand frames before you decide you need a new toy.

Real Name
    David

I would definitely follow Bill's advice.
    Then, I would strongly consider using my $200 to invest in education. That could be in the form of a photography workshop, books, online courses (check out lynda.com or kelbyone.com for examples of that), etc. Whatever form of learning suits your needs and personality.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

I'm going to be getting a Canon 70D with a Canon 18-55mm lens and 55-200mm lens.. . . plan to be doing a lot of landscape shooting . . . are these good lenses for this, or should I trade in one or both of these for some other type?
    I also meant to make a comment, specifically on those three points.

The lenses in the kit probably are: EF-S 18-55mm IS STM and EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
    (I think that you might have a typo in the Opening Post - are you sure you are buying a 55 to 200 Lens?)

Regarding both lenses which I think you are buying:

> Yes, there are better quality lenses available, but how much more would you pay to buy just a little bit better - it is the law of diminishing returns - and that law has a lot of punch especially when you might not know exactly what it is that you want or need

> Both are excessively good value for money, especially considering that as a kit purchase the relative price of the lenses is usually lower than if you bought the lenses as a single purchase.

> if you 'traded them in' even if unused I don't think that you would get much more for them, than if you use them and look after them and choose to sell later.

> Both are capable of making good quality landscape images

> Both will perform at a standard of high to very high image quality when used at apertures between F/7 to F/13, but that is not to imply you should not use the lenses wide open, if necessary

> do not be fooled by the plastic construction

> even if you choose later to buy another lens as a 'replacement', you should at that time consider keeping either or both of these 'kit lenses' to use for their strengths - for example, comparatively very light weight and small size which are a considerations for long hikes.

> as a pair of lenses, they provide the Photographer with a large Focal Length compass and at a Focal Length cross over point which most APS-C Photographers find convenient (for example, as a contrast, the combination of the EF-S 10 to 22 and EF24 to 105L is noted as an inconvenient crossover point for many APS-C Photographers - and that pair of lenses (whilst better quality than the Kit Pair) only extend to 105mm, requiring a third lens in the kit to make a longer telephoto, often being one of the EF70 to 200L lenses)

If you choose to buy a tripod and head, don't ever skimp on those two purchases. I do not suggest that you go out and buy a tripod and head today - give it a little while; make some Photographs; learn you new camera and enjoy experimenting; research tripods - there are many threads here at CiC on tripods and heads; ask questions.

(If you choose not to buy on line), one simple thing about buying a tripod is, that it is very easy to test the stability of it. Often good tripod bargains can be got as second-hand purchases in camera shops and pawn stores.

WW

Real Name
    Ken

While you intend to do landscape photography now, in time you could become interested in some other avenue such as macro, portrait, etc. Suggest that you hold off in the meantime until you find out your future direction.

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by kaneohebud View Post
    Stability!
    Not necessarily. Tripod cost goes up with a variety of factors, including weight (lighter weight with the same stability is generally more costly); maximum height of the tripod legs (taller tripods tend to cost more for similar stability); whether they have an all-in-one construction (tripods that come with a head attached tend to be cheaper -- because the heads tend to be less than inspiring); whether the stability comes by means of additional structures around the legs (if not needed, you pay more for the tripod); there is a brand-name premium for some brands; and, for the heads, you pay a very large premium for Arca Swiss quick releases. I'm not sure whether this is because the non-AS manufacturers have to pay royalties to AS or whether it is a matter of charging more for value to the customer to have interchangability between brands. But I find it a very steep premium on comparable AS / non-AS heads -- even from the same manufacturer. I'm sure there are many other variables, too. These are just the ones that spring to my mind.

Real Name
    Terry

Regarding tripods Sam check this out!

It might be of interest to you.

Real Name
    Yes

But on a budget the Canon 10-18mm IS STM lens may be considered for wider angle shots, and it is quite a bargain price.

Real Name
    Alan.

In about five days I'm going to be getting a Canon 70D with a Canon 18-55mm lens and 55-200mm lens. These came with the camera as part of a deal online. I have about $200 remaining from this purchase and plan to be doing a lot of landscape shooting. What I'm wondering is, are these good lenses for this, or should I trade in one or both of these for some other type?
    IMVHO the lenses you're getting are rather humble offerings but good enough to start off with and personally I'd wait before buying anything else and especially before buying a tripod as not all landscape photography needs one... they're primarily for longer exposures and if the light is good and your shutter speed is high you wont need one. I haven't used one for years.

In your position I'd read the manual and study the various settings and read reviews of the camera and lenses you are getting. Reading reviews after buying might sound a bit pointless but I think that you may learn some of the strengths and weaknesses of the gear you will soon have. I think that you should also investigate shooting raw and how to process the images for best effect. In fact investing in some good processing software might be a really good move.

After that I think that you should get out and shoot and review your pictures and think about how you can improve. Digital photography is pretty cheap once you have the gear so don't be afraid to shoot a lot of pictures even if you end up deleting many of them, it's a learning process.

Once you are getting up to speed you could look at adding a wide aperture prime or a macro lens. Actually both would be high on my wise list... maybe a 28 or 35mm f1.8 to use in low light or a 100mm f2.8 macro for flower / bug shots

Good Luck with it all

Sam, welcome to CiC. This is a great place for a beginner, if that is what you are.
    I highly recommend the Tutorials here.
    Since you're in LA, go to a local Goodwill store to see if they have any tripods. Even an old used one in fairly decent shape is better than no tripod at all. I'd also recommend getting a remote release for your camera, just so you can take pictures without touching it.
    Worry about new lenses in a year from now once you've learned to use what you bought now.

Just my $.02 worth for free.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Might I suggest that camera gear is but a small part of this insane/idiotic hobby...lest we not
    forget computer/monitor gear, post-processing software and associated learning curve.

The journey is tortured but enjoyable.

Real Name
    J stands for John

I bought my first good tripod some 40 years ago and it is still my most used ... it cost me 10 NZPounds, perhaps US$40 at the time. I was trying to get my wife to take photography seriously and found a japanese tripod on our local 'ebay' which cost me NZ$10 [US$15] which though slightly damaged is equal or better than my oldie. So I strongly support the 'Goodwill' suggestion as I have seen quite respectable ones during visits to the States and getting the odd extra shirt or trousers etc. Bought an Abercrombie padded jacket for $10 on one visit a decade ago and still my favourite.

Just remember that three legs can be stable but raise the centre column for convienience and it probably will not be stable any more. Cable releases are somewhat old technology and most cameras these days have a ten second delay release.
    Press the trigger and leave the whole rig untouched and likely unless there is a strong breeze the results will be AOK. In a strong wind people hang a heavy weight [ stones in the camera bag ] to help stabilize the rig.

Talking of camera bags I would rate that ahead of an extra lens and most other things people suggest ... all my cameras have their own bags to live in except when being used ... and the editing, or stitch programme, came way ahead of thoughts of a wider angled lens as it is usually so easy to take two or more overlapping frames of a subject and stitch them in editing.

I spent US$125 on Amazon for a tripod basically for my son but also for me to use during my visit, same make as my oldie, BUT it was very poor though I did make it work for one shot using the 10 second release.
    .....Should I buy another lens?