Thread: Unloading files from the stack

Real Name
    John

Unloading files from the stack

Photoshop offers a 'Load files into stack' script which does just that. Is it possible to do the reverse? If I have a stack of images which are now nicely aligned and cropped, how can I easily convert these to separate images? I have found various convoluted ways of doing it, but nothing straightforward.

John

Re: Unloading files from the stack

Not sure if I'm understanding the situation correctly but are the images stacked as separate layers?

If so, just select the required layer from the stack then copy and paste as a new image. You can then save that as and where you want.

If you encounter any problems you might need to hide other layers and/or create a selection around the layer in question.

ps. When stacked as layers I sometimes edit a single layer to force the software to choose or reject part of that layer. For example where an insect leg or antennae etc have moved between shots.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

John - the only thing I stack for are panos and I've never come across the situation you are looking for.

There is nothing to prevent you from turning off the visibility of all the layers you don't want and then just process and save the one you are working on (i.e. the visible one). Then turn that layer off and another one on and repeat until you have finished.

Real Name
    John

Geoff, I have tried something along the lines you mention. I would need to open a new, blank image the same size as my stacked set, which has been the problem. However I think I can see away forward on this which I can automate.

Manfred, your suggestion is similar to one of my 'convoluted' ways. It works, but is fiddly for lots of files.

Thanks anyway, just corresponding about it has given me ideas.

John

Real Name
    James Edwards

Assuming your stack is a layer stack try ...
    (in Photoshop CS6)
    File>Scripts>Export Layers to files

Will that work with just one layer chosen from a stack? Something which I have never tried.

But I did check out what I have already mentioned with a simple two layer stack today.

Put a selection around the image of a chosen layer (Select All) then copied Ctrl + C. Create New Image - Ctrl + N and the new image is automatically created exactly the same size as the copied image. The only slight extra point is that the new image is created as a layer on top of a blank background but that isn't realy a problem and could actually be an advantage in many cases.

Not saying it will work like that with other software though.

Real Name
    James Edwards

(in Photoshop CS6)
    This script extracts all the layers in one pass. I've never had any reason to use the script but I just tried it with a layered PSD. Masking layers are also extracted but hold no info.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    John - the only thing I stack for are panos and I've never come across the situation you are looking for.

There is nothing to prevent you from turning off the visibility of all the layers you don't want and then just process and save the one you are working on (i.e. the visible one). Then turn that layer off and another one on and repeat until you have finished.
    That was how I compiled an animation by selecting [stopped hiding layers] the required frames for each frame of the animation .then copying . ie a running and swarking goose = body/legs/lower beak/ background each had to be changed or repeated in a cycle ...

OK OK I know I am a masochist

One can also have ie. two or more adjustment layers with different levels of treatment and toggle between them and finally settle for what is best and save that pack with the alternatives hidden.
    Last edited by jcuknz; 5th May 2015 at 07:45 AM.

Real Name
    J stands for John

To organize a new layer simply duplicate a layer, select all, delete, select none and you have a fresh layer to work on ?
    Works for me and I'm sure PS is not that different

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by James G View Post
    Assuming your stack is a layer stack try ...
    (in Photoshop CS6)

This does just what I want. Thank you James.

What I was trying to do was to align a set of images, and then crop them all to the same size. Job done!

John

Real Name
    J stands for John

Zzzz
    Last edited by jcuknz; 6th May 2015 at 09:06 AM.