Thread: Lighting Fix

Real Name
    Adrian

Lighting Fix

Using Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom how can I reduce this bright spot on the leaf?

[IMG]Lighting Fix[/IMG]

Real Name
    John

Re: Lighting Fix

Adrian, I don't think you can. The bright areas are totally burned out. I don't think that even a raw file would allow the level of recovery that this needs. The time to counter this is in making the exposure in the first place. If you want to try, you might paint some green over the white patches at a low opacity and then darken those areas a bit but I don't think it will look right.

Real Name
    John

Try CameraRAW first and set your black/white points and shadows/highlights. If you still have issues, and I believe you will; you can try isolated fixes. Frankly, I would only adjust enough to control the highlights and leave as is. Sometimes the capture reflects the actual conditions the image was taken under.

Stockholm, Sweden (and sometimes Santiago de Cuba)
    Real Name
    Urban Domeij

if you want to control it when exposing the image, the dynamic range of the scene will probably be too large unless a polariser is used to subdue the reflection.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Adrian, I don't think you can. The bright areas are totally burned out. I don't think that even a raw file would allow the level of recovery that this needs. The time to counter this is in making the exposure in the first place. If you want to try, you might paint some green over the white patches at a low opacity and then darken those areas a bit but I don't think it will look right.
    John has answered your question. Below is a "heal" done with a method that works well for recovering via cloning to a separate layer a colour/texture to use as a fill for the lost detail. The layer mode is set to darken and the opacity adjusted to suit. Also often works well for skys, waves, white birds, waterfalls etc when high dynamic range or over exposure has caused an issue. It is best to use exposure compensation or bracketing at the time of taking the photo.

Lighting Fix

Lighting Fix
    Last edited by pnodrog; 2nd May 2015 at 11:13 PM.

Real Name
    Adrian

Thanks everyone.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Beauty Through a Lens View Post
    Using Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom how can I reduce this bright spot on the leaf?
    Lighting Fix

You could rebuild the leaf by cloning.

Here is a very rough and quick indicative - leaf on camera right only:

Lighting Fix

Better results would be got from using the original file.

WW