Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photography Using Only One Arm

Real Name
    J stands for John

Re: Photography Using Only One Arm

The neck strap is less to stop the camera falling on the ground which is obvious but to hold the camera at a useful position so that the hand can make adjustments ... with single spot AF there should be no need to manually focus if the target area is small enough ... not all cameras are equal in this respect.

Real Name
    John

Andrew, my only thoughts would be firstly that I think the Sony NEX6 has a tiltable screen. You might experiment with using that as a waste level finder with the camera on a neck strap taking the weight. Secondly it has a WiFi capability. Is there an app that lets you operate the camera remotely? I can control everything but zooming the lens on my Fuji X using either an Android phone or tablet. Probably means tripod mounting the camera but might be slightly more convenient than trying to twist knobs etc.

Real Name
    Yes

I have problems with my hands.
    I always use a wrist strap to stop me dropping the camera unexpectly, ie when my hand has a spasm. I frequently use a tripod as sometimes i have difficulty not shaking with hand holding the camera, especially when weight is on one hand.
    I find I can handle my Manfrotto with flip levers to adjust the legs ok, but twist locks are much more difficult, even judging how tight they are. Quick relese helps, and so does a geared head - the latest manfrotto is light and quite good.
    With a tripod one can change lens with one hand, though it helps if someone is about to assist.
    A monopod is not so good as it still has to be supported, but with a neck strap and a light monopod to just take the weight it helps - have fun in places where tripods are not allowed as you claim it as a disability aid.

Real Name
    Andrew

The first four weeks with only one hand will be just about impossible for you to get used to in that short period of time. If it were longer I'm sure you could adapt to you limitations. Many do. Perhaps spending that initial time cleaning up or processing the shots you already have on file would be time well spent.

As for the limited use period using both hands it should be easy to adjust with practice to whatever setup you try. I personally use a hand strap and mono-pod all the time. I shake too much to be without it. Whatever route you chose I'd think a neck strap is in order. You can make it long enough so as not to interfere with your shooting but until you get into the swing of things there is the chance you may drop the camera.

Alternatively, http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/w...elmet-cam1.jpg

Real Name
    J stands for John

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Every time you post that image I just shudder, Chauncy. A direct mounting to the vehicle frame (a vehicle that relies on a fairly basic vehicle suspension). That must be transmitting a lot of repeated forces into the camera and lens via the camera mount; it can't be that easy on the gear, especially when your are moving at higher speeds. The electric vehicles I've seen can easily travel two or three time the walking pace of a person; up to 12mph.
    Like when I saw a woman photographer at the top of Pikes Peak with a DSLR in the hand and another with a HUGE lens hanging from her shoulder .. certainly a case for the Royal Society for the Protection of Abused Camera Equipment to investigate. Earlier I had overheard a comment in the cafe that she was a very accomplished tog

I went through this almost 2 years ago. Broke left arm just below the ball in the shoulder socket spent 8 weeks with it immobilize and 7 weeks of PT. I was able to use the camera by using an objects such as trees, rocks, ground, picnic tables, and any thing else that was stationary. You will be surprised at the availability of surfaces and objects available. I even managed to shoot a rotted stump with a mushroom growing out of it on the ground. Did try to use a monopod but found it more of a nuance than an aid.

Real Name
    Richard

This is a relatively inexpensive brace which can facilitate the use of a camera using one arm.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shoulder-Sup...item461f43608d

I have one and use a Arca Clamp along with an Arca Compatible L mount on my camera. This makes it quite easy to switch from vertical to horizontal camera position...

Real Name
    Andrew

Thank you all for the thoughtful comments and ideas. At this point I think I'll be using the NEX6 (light weight) with a prime lens and I'll have a go at using a monopod. I think I'll further narrow my photographic objectives; lay out some specific ideas and shots with the equipment and physical limitations in mind. In addition I've been wanting to learn to stitch photos together for a pano so I'll do some shooting ahead of time and spend time with processing during the first 4 weeks.
    Thanks again,
    Andrew

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewMcD View Post
    Thank you all for the thoughtful comments and ideas. At this point I think I'll be using the NEX6 (light weight) with a prime lens and I'll have a go at using a monopod. I think I'll further narrow my photographic objectives; lay out some specific ideas and shots with the equipment and physical limitations in mind. In addition I've been wanting to learn to stitch photos together for a pano so I'll do some shooting ahead of time and spend time with processing during the first 4 weeks.
    Thanks again,
    Andrew
    I found this photo. A small tripod and a remote control. It's my right hand.

Photography Using Only One Arm

George

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewMcD View Post
    Impending surgery is going to result in the complete immobilization of my left arm (fortunately I'm right handed) for four weeks and limited use for twelve weeks. My Sony NEX6 is fairly small and lightweight while my Canon 6D, though no heavyweight, is a bit much to use with one hand. Making camera adjustments will be slow and tedious with one hand. To support the camera while taking a shot I think a monopod may prove useful. I think setting up my tripod will likely be too difficult. I'm wondering about the value of a handstrap but have never used one on either camera.

I'm soliciting any ideas or suggestions that might make things a bit easier to use my cameras with one hand. I don't imagine I'm the first person in this forum to ever face this sort of limitation yet still feels the need to take photographs.

Thanks,
    Andrew
    Hi Andrew, I too have the effective use of one arm (right) after a stroke at birth, I have gone done the bridge route, which can easily be used with one hand, the FZ1000 and now 2000 are good options, as are the Sony rx10 mk 2/3
    You might also consider the fujifilm X series, these use a fixed focal length, but you can buy a telephoto and wide angle lense, you can also buy various shooting AIDS, such as thumb grips to make it more comfortable

Good luck

Quite a few years ago I had a mid-life crisis and decided to take up roller-blading. Then, I was extremely fit (I was a fitness instructor and PT) and it may have been the influence of my drop dead gorgeous blonde and blue-eyed fellow trainer that I went to her store and got the best blades I could (under the principle of get good gear then you can't blame it ).

I should add that due to an injury I do have absolutely rubbish balance, yet I was making progress until my instructor (the trainer) said I was getting tired and should stop. I stood up suddenly, the blades flew my legs out in front of me and for a moment I was horizontal, then gravity kicked in and I fell straight down on my extended arm driving the radius through the humerus and breaking it in 14 places. That required 8 months of rehab, during most of which I was pretty much one-handed.

Not wanting to stop taking photos I got a monopod and jury rigged it and the neck strap to give me support. The neck strap managed the camera when I was doing other things and stopped me from dropping it. I used a shortened neck strap with the monopod and a pillow to brace against when I was taking photos - it worked, not perfectly, but one has to accept some degree of loss of performance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12