Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hate to be anorakian, but...... what camera should I get?

I hate to be anorakian, but...... what camera should I get?

My birthday in a couple of month's, and I thought it would be good to have a small compact that I can always carry with me, for those unmissable shots of car crashes, mating horses in a field, drive-by-shootings, and my wife not saying anything for three minutes - you know, one-off moments to treasure.

I thought an APS-C size sensor best, unless anyone can really recommend anything smaller. Most shots will just be personal stuff, and I won't be wanting to blow them up large. A lot of the shots will be flower close-ups, the rest will be general view. The camera needs to be light and small, with a zoom lens.

Any recommendations?

Real Name
    Pops

Re: I hate to be anorakian, but...... what camera should I get?

I carry a Canon PowerShot SD-750 with me at all times. That series had very good reviews and it works quite well for me. I suspect you will want a later model. Nice view screen, good quality shots and small enough to always be in my pocket. I got a case for it, as some reports say it is sensitive to lint in the shutter cover. Mine is now a couple of years old, in my pocket 24/7/365. The only thing I wish it had is a peek-through viewfinder as well as the preview screen.

ALL of my other cameras are Nikon.

Pops

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Rob,

If you want a sensor that big in a compact*, I'm not sure there is much choice so far.

* althought I can understand why

However, bear in mind that with a sensor that big, it needs quite a large diameter lens, in fact, it'll be almost the same size as a typical crop factor DSLR lens, the only space saving is likely to be the lack of a mirror box on the camera body. A google turned up a Sony model; NEX-3, there might be a Samsung by now as well.

Or go micro 4/3? Panasonic or Olympus.

Or smaller still (sensor wise) and Canon G11 (10MP), that seems to be highly regarded.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Rob,

If you want a sensor that big in a compact*, I'm not sure there is much choice so far.

* althought I can understand why

However, bear in mind that with a sensor that big, it needs quite a large diameter lens, in fact, it'll be almost the same size as a typical crop factor DSLR lens, the only space saving is likely to be the lack of a mirror box on the camera body. A google turned up a Sony model; NEX-3, there might be a Samsung by now as well.

Or go micro 4/3? Panasonic or Olympus.

Or smaller still (sensor wise) and Canon G11 (10MP), that seems to be highly regarded.

Cheers,

Yes, Samsung have the NX10, but it weighs a kilo! No good. The canon G11 looks good - very light too. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec.../canon_g11.asp

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Yes, Samsung have the NX10, but it weighs a kilo!
    Almost inevitable I'm afraid, the 'price paid' for a bigger sensor <sad smilie, just for Rob>

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Any recommendations?
    An iPhone?

and my wife not saying anything for three minutes - you know, one-off moments to treasure
    PS: I heard a good one the other day. Chap says "I haven't spoken to my wife in 18 months ... I don't like to interrupt her!"

Real Name

Good iPhone example ... I had a meal on one of the fishng boats that I service, a couple of days ago. I think that when a lot of people hear the word "fishing boat" they think of cold - rusty - uncomfortable - and baked beans on toast whereas in reality they have comfortable conditions - eMail - satelite TV (for when they have time to watch) - and meals fit for a king.

For lunch I had Scallop potatoes (sorry Ali!) (tasted devine!) - peas - carrots - coleslaw - beetroot and roast pork with apple sauce.

Olympus EP-2 with f/2.8 25mm pancake lens....er, actually, on second thoughts, no, because then I would be really really jealous

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Good iPhone example ... I had a meal on one of the fishng boats that I service, a couple of days ago. I think that when a lot of people hear the word "fishing boat" they think of cold - rusty - uncomfortable - and baked beans on toast whereas in reality they have comfortable conditions - eMail - satelite TV (for when they have time to watch) - and meals fit for a king.

For lunch I had Scallop potatoes (sorry Ali!) (tasted devine!) - peas - carrots - coleslaw - beetroot and roast pork with apple sauce.

Shouldn't that shot be in the 'kitchen' thread? They allow women on board ship then? To do the cooking, no doubt (insert ladies leaving the forum smilie)

Real Name
    Malcolm

I carry a Canon S-90 with me on my belt and use a cell phone case for it. Great camera and easy to use in those times when I need to be quick on the draw. It has many features as the LARGE cameras have. I hope this is not to late. My recommendation, Have fun looking.
    Last edited by Eightohms; 25th May 2010 at 11:41 PM. Reason: correction

Real Name
    David

I always carry a Panasonic Lumix TZ6 with me. I see the TZ10 is available and it has a built in GPS which plots where you are when taking the shot.
    Might have to get one as I am a gadget "freek" according to my wife.
    David

Real Name

They allow women on board ship then? To do the cooking, no doubt (insert ladies leaving the forum smilie)
    The cooks are male and (thank goodness) the galley girls are in fact girls. Lots of women on board ... someone has to do the job right!

Real Name
    Peter

My brother uses the Panasonic Lumix with a Zeiss lens and I reviewed a number of shots from his recent trip to Europe. He wanted me to organise some canvass prints for his home. I was quiet amazed at the quality - not of his shooting but what the camera produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    My brother uses the Panasonic Lumix with a Zeiss lens and I reviewed a number of shots from his recent trip to Europe. He wanted me to organise some canvass prints for his home. I was quiet amazed at the quality - not of his shooting but what the camera produced.
    Thanks, Peter. Is it the GF1 you refer to? This one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lu...4856868&sr=1-2 It looks very good. The sensor is normal dslr size so the pixel density rate is only 5MP cm2.

This video gives all the details http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/mpd/perma...ef=ent_fb_link

Real Name

T~ The sensor is normal dslr size ~
    Not quite Rob,

It is micro 4/3, so comes with a crop factor of 2 and is therefore is smaller than the average DX style DSLR (where cf = 1.5 or 1.6).

I don't know whether you did the sums yourself based on MP and DX sensor size, or read it somewhere, if the former, the pixel density might be a bit more than 5MP/cm2. Not to say it isn't a good compromise though, I did suggest it above.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Not quite Rob,

It is micro 4/3, so comes with a crop factor of 2 and is therefore is smaller than the average DX style DSLR (where cf = 1.5 or 1.6).

I don't know whether you did the sums yourself based on MP and DX sensor size, or read it somewhere, if the former, the pixel density might be a bit more than 5MP/cm2. Not to say it isn't a good compromise though, I did suggest it above.

Cheers,
    Details are here on DP Review. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...nic_dmcgf1.asp

And these are the lenses you can get for it http://www.fotosense.co.uk/slr-lense...ur-thirds.html Think it takes some of the Leica lenses too.

Real Name

The figure is, I assume, correct then - good

Real Name
    Peter

Rob,

I have not had a real look at the camera. I had a quick chat with my brother and he advises it is the Lumix TZ7, a 10 mp camera that was released into Australia late last year but may not have the type of sensor you are looking for. He chose it as it had a slightly wider angle lens than other plus for the lens quality - http://www.lumix.com.au/dmc-tz7.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    Rob,

I have not had a real look at the camera. I had a quick chat with my brother and he advises it is the Lumix TZ7, a 10 mp camera that was released into Australia late last year but may not have the type of sensor you are looking for. He chose it as it had a slightly wider angle lens than other plus for the lens quality - http://www.lumix.com.au/dmc-tz7.
    Thanks, Peter. I did look at that one, and it does have good reviews, but yes, it has a smaller sensor. What I really want is a small light camera that will give picture quality as near as possible to a DSLR. I have an old Canon 350D with small kit lens, which is quite compact, but not quite small enough and is out of date now regards features. I want something that I can take a quick shot with using auto settings if needed.

Real Name
    Peter

Rob,

I will be plesaed to see what you come up with in end.

Please keep us informed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast