Thread: Canon 24-105 f4 L IS USM lens creeping

Real Name
    Joan

Canon 24-105 f4 L IS USM lens creeping

Some days ago, when trying to take a picture pointing downwards my camera I discovered that my 24-105 lens was creeping, that is, was auto zooming due to the own weight of the lens.

I have investigated a little bit this and I have discovered that this fenomenon is quite usual in this lens (and by the way, in other zoom lenses).

Anybody knows some solution to this ? Rubber bands are not a solution for me. I understand that they may work, but It is hard to accept this kind of solutions for a lens of the L family...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Canon 24-105 f4 L IS USM lens creeping

This behaviour is typical in low to medium end lenses. Some lenses have "locks" to prevent creep, while others do not.

In my experience, the only lenses that do not creep are the "pro" lines that are internally focusing.

Real Name
    Dan

That lens is in the pro line-up, although at the lower end. Lots of them have lens creep. If you google, you will find suggestions that if you move the rubber of the zoom control, you will find an adjustment screw. I have never tried this, so I can't vouch for it.

I do use a stiff rubber band (Lensband) when it matters to me, but mostly I ignore it. Mine is not too bad.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Joan View Post
    . . . trying to take a picture pointing downwards my camera I discovered that my 24-105 lens was creeping, that is, was auto zooming due to the own weight of the lens.

I have investigated a little bit this and I have discovered that this fenomenon is quite usual in this lens (and by the way, in other zoom lenses). . . Rubber bands are not a solution for me. I understand that they may work, but It is hard to accept this kind of solutions for a lens of the L family...
    I have a 24 to 105 F/4L USM. It suffers from 'zoom creep'. 'Zoom creep' is common with this particular lens, but there are degrees of zoom creep.

At least within my conversations with users who comment on the zoom creep of this particular lens, the creep is confined to when the lens is being carried and creep is NOT present when it is being used to frame shoot and make the shot.

Therefore, I'd like clarification of the exact meaning of your post, please, here:

trying to take a picture pointing downwards my camera
    do you mean that if you simply hold the camera steady, (pointing downwards) ready to take the shot the lens has zoom creep?

If this is the case then you can have the lens serviced to correct.

On the other hand if the shot is framed and unless you are working under the pressure of time, a rubber band is a really easy fix, so I also am unclear as to why a rubber band is not a solution for you?

Perhaps the rubber band is not a solution because you find the situation unacceptable that any L Series Lens will exhibit creep?

If this is the case, then that is an emotional matter and will not be solved by either (paying for) servicing the lens or buying a rubber band.

If the lens's behaviour causes too much concern for you then sell it: I know people who have and for exactly this particular reason.

However, if (as in many cases) the lens creeps out only whilst the lens is being carried and bounced around (typically hanging off a camera being toted around by the neck strap) then, perhaps that is a phenomenon that you might have to come to terms with and accept.

My theory is that this particular lens is relatively short and fat and is relatively heavy at the filter end, so, in the design there is a fine line between making the zoom movement silky smooth, with the 'correct' amount of friction and the zoom movement being too sloppy.

My 24 to 105 began to creep (when being carried) after about 18 months heavy duty use, which also involved a lot of time it being bounced around on the end of a neck strap - the manner in which I carry my cameras and bounce around, I suspect encouraged the zoom creep with my 24 to 105.

I have had the lens for about 4 years now and it does not creep of its own accord when being held steady and pointed downward, however over time I suspect that it might, but in any case I will not sell the lens because of that 'feature'.

Furthermore, in any case I probably wouldn't use the rubber band solution either, but I would simply cradle the lens in an appropriate manner with control and stability of the zoom turret by fingers of my left hand - I usually do that anyway - it doesn't take much effort for a single finger to arrest the movement of a really REALLY sloppy zoom.

However if one is making a tripod shot or similar (kind of by definition one is NOT working under the pressure of time) the rubber band seems is a most elegant solution.

WW

Real Name
    Neville Dukes

I have a Nikon 24-120 f4 lens which could be regarded similar in design to the Canon 24-105 L. I have used it on a number of different cameras and I find that the 24-120 zoom creeps a little as I walk about with camera strap over my shoulder. The extent of creep depends on the camera model. Mounted on my Nikon Df there is a very small amount of creep as the camera is fairly light and the lens tends to point downwards. On a Nikon D3s there was no creep as the camera is much heavier than the Df (which is why I sold it) and the lens tends to stay horizontal.
    There is one suggestion I would make which for me did reduce the lens creep. Over time with handling any lens barrel will become slightly greasy. Extend the zoom fully and clean the exposed barrel surface with a lens cleaning fluid (taking care not to let it seep in through any openings). I believe there is a rubber seal around the inside of the zoom ring on my lens and possibly on the Canon also. Cleaning the barrel surface may cause the seal to grip the barrel slightly better and, in my case, it did slightly reduce the lens creep.
    I would be keen to know if anybody has tried this and if it helped.