Thread: Data showing incorrect information is there a way to fix it?

Real Name
    Barbara

Data showing incorrect information is there a way to fix it?

I used a camera body that I had not used since last year and the photos I took have the wrong date on the exif information. Is there a way to correct that and does anyone know of why that would be happening? The camera in question is a Canon 70D. Any help/information would be appreciated.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Data showing incorrect information is there a way to fix it?

How it happened is that the clock in your camera was wrong. That could be due to a number of reasons, but likely if you haven't used it in a year, the battery ran down and when you charged the camera up the date / time got new and incorrect values.

Changing it - just Google EXIF editors, that should be able to handle what you want to do.

Real Name
    Barbara

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    How it happened is that the clock in your camera was wrong. That could be due to a number of reasons, but likely if you haven't used it in a year, the battery ran down and when you charged the camera up the date / time got new and incorrect values.

Changing it - just Google EXIF editors, that should be able to handle what you want to do.
    Thank you!

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

What Manfred wrote: In your User Manual there’s certain to be a warning note in the “Date Time” Chapter, it will read something like ‘If you store the camera without the battery or if the battery becomes exhausted the date and time might be reset’. That's a standard warning for Canon EOS.

The Camera retains the ‘date/time’ memory for a short period of time without any Camera Battery, but not for a year.

Anyway, what I wanted to add was - when searching for an EXIF editor, consider searching for one that can edit in batches, if you have a lot of photos to change.

WW

Real Name
    Barbara

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    What Manfred wrote: In your User Manual there’s certain to be a warning note in the “Date Time” Chapter, it will read something like ‘If you store the camera without the battery or if the battery becomes exhausted the date and time might be reset’. That's a standard warning for Canon EOS.

The Camera retains the ‘date/time’ memory for a short period of time without any Camera Battery, but not for a year.

Anyway, what I wanted to add was - when searching for an EXIF editor, consider searching for one that can edit in batches, if you have a lot of photos to change.

WW
    Thank you!

Real Name
    Erwin Rüegg

You might have a look at:
    http://petapixel.com/2012/11/05/how-...light-savings/
    listing some programs to change exifs
    Erwin

Real Name
    Barbara

Quote Originally Posted by Krawuntzel View Post
    You might have a look at:
    http://petapixel.com/2012/11/05/how-...light-savings/
    listing some programs to change exifs
    Erwin
    Thanks Erwin!

Real Name
    Peter

Data showing incorrect information is there a way to fix it?

Barbara, if you haven't already done so, you will need to reset the date and time in the camera from within the menu items. I had a similar problem when we went on a trip to the Southern Hemisphere, my camera was on UK time unfortunately I was back in the UK before I realised. However I was able to reset all of the date/time issues using Lightroom. Let me know if you use Lightroom and I will see if I can supply you with a "how to" guide so that you can fix your issue.