Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What camera's the best option for what I need?

Real Name
    Philip

Re: What camera's the best option for what I need?

Quote Originally Posted by csa mt View Post
    As far as I know, Pentax is the only camera that has a weather proof body. There are also several weather resistant lenses available, to give you a complete weather resistant camera. The K3 is the current flagship that I think would fit your needs nicely. I know everyone prefers to suggest Canon/Nikon; but Pentax is certainly one to consider!

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1...th-review.html
    In agreement with this, I would strongly suggest that you do some Web research beyond the usual two big names and, in particular, to find out if Pentax would suit your requirements. Speaking from experience, the bodies and lenses are durable and superbly built, with excellent ergonomics, together with features unique to the marque.

As a versatile starting set-up you might consider, for example, the new K-S2 body, with the Pentax DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR lens, plus the HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm ED WR lens - read all about them on the Web. My weather-resistant (WR) Pentax stuff has been out in the pouring rain (I live in England!) with no problems.

Pentax provide a big range of modern high-quality lenses when compared with some of the other non-Canikon camera companies, but also any Pentax K-mount lens made in the last 40 years can be attached without needing an adapter (but some of the very old ones will need to be adjusted manually), and each one will be effectively stabilised by the in-built technology in the camera body.

Cheers.
    Philip

Real Name
    J stands for John

Winnie ... for the past decade plus, since I got the 5700, I have had the full PASM options but mostly I use A. My current camera was chosen because it has lots of knobs while inside a huge range of options in the menu ... and when shooting by available light as I am prone to do I am still in A mode at 2am in the morning in a tent.
    So I share your desire for control and have it with my Pany GH but rarely need it and used a bridge camera for a decade before reluctantly adding M43 ... I had a DSLR for awhile for a specific purpose* and rarely used it apart from an innitial enjoyment of a new toy :-)
    * so I had an ILC to use my extension tubes and bellows from film days, a function which M43 fills now.

Real Name
    David

I don't know enough about other brands (or indeed Nikon) to recommend one over the other, but if you are leaning towards Nikon DSLR:
    Nikon D5300 and D5500 both feature wifi capability. Nikon call it "snapbridge". I know nothing about it or what devices are compatible.
    Nikon D3300 would require an extra accessory purchased for wifi. Nikon D3300 lacks a port for a cable release or radio control wireless release such as John mentions.
    I use a $2 ebay infra-red remote on my Nikon D3000. I've only tested it to about 10m but it works well, as long as you are in the line of sight of the IR sensor on the front of the camera.

Real Name
    Winnie

Manfred,

Thank you for such an informative answer. I don’t want an entry level camera, but I also don’t know very well about high level DSLRs features. I’m definitely going to invest more in lenses than in the body for now. And also review some of the “request” I have. CamRange seems a good idea.. then I could take “wi-fi” off my list! Your answers were very helpful ;-)

John (Shadowman),

Thank you =)
    Yes, my current Nikon is a good camera. If It was a interchangeable lens camera, I would use it for a little longer

Mike,

I haven’t started look about lenses yet, but it’s good to know that the AF is not only in the camera. I have a lot to search about it yet. Thank you for your answer

Allan,

You know, I’ve been thinking about a D3xxx, specially the D3300. It has really good price, and the reviews are great! It looks like the best buy for me.
    About the tripod, I never thought about getting one in the $500-600 range. The one I have is very cheap and it’s been working very well.. but I’ll look into that.. maybe I like mine because I don’ t know how is a high quality one =)

David,

When is a low light+moving subject, I’m usually near the subject. Probably a 50mm would work good for me. But I’ll have to get one of those telephoto lens, as I like to shoot sky, stars, moon… would you recommend me some trustful brands for lenses?
    I’ve been reading about the D3xxx, and they look a good option for me. The one I like the most was D3300, but I didn’t know about this wireless control issue. I’m going to look better into that

John (ajohnw),

I’m definitely reviewing my list of requests. I didn’t know about other ways to control the camera remotely. I really don’t mind tapping my cellphone

Phillip,

I visited DPreview website and I noticed exactly what you said. Nikon and Canon might have good models, but among them, there are several models from others brands that is somehow forgotten. My only concern would be the lenses for those other brands. I’m afraid of buying, let’s say, a Pentax, and don’t have a good variety of lenses (and price ranges for them). But as I said before, I haven’t start looking about lenses yet. Now that I’m considering other brands, I’m going to start a parallel search (body and lenses) to make a wider decision. Thank you for your answer =)

John (jcuknz),

Maybe my camera is not that good, but shooting in A mode have never worked for me. Today I was in a beach, taking photos of the ducks in the rocks.. It sounds simple, but the camera just couldn't understand what I wanted. I couldn't use even the AF, as it was focusing on the rocks, instead of the ducks! And that’s why I like to have full control. I hate missing a shot because the camera wronged the my subject =/

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by bernacchiraza View Post
    Mike,
    When is a low light+moving subject, I’m usually near the subject. Probably a 50mm would work good for me.
    This is very good news for your budget. I think all brands have a cheap 50mm f1.8. Nikon also have a cheap 35mm f1.8 DX suitable for a D3300 or D5xxx. Also you have Tamron or Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 zooms well within your budget.

Mike,
    But I’ll have to get one of those telephoto lens, as I like to shoot sky, stars, moon… would you recommend me some trustful brands for lenses?
    No, I won't, because I have no idea what I am talking about with telephoto lenses or this form of photography in particular

Mike,
    The one I like the most was D3300, but I didn’t know about this wireless control issue. I’m going to look better into that
    If wireless is something you definitely want, check the price of the accessory for the D3300 against moving up to the D5300 or D5500.

Real Name
    Richard

FIRST: If I were relatively new to DSLR photography, I would not consider purchasing a used camera because if there were problems, I might not be sure if it is the camera or me that is at fault. Instead, I would look into purchasing a factory refurbished camera. I am an advocate of purchasing my major photo gear (camera + lenses) as factory refurbished items. I have purchased both my 7D cameras as refurbs, one directly from the Canon Store and the other from Adorama in New York City.

SECOND: For your intended used, I would not consider a kit lens. Although kit lenses do produce quite decent image quality, IMO, they are not quite the choice for lower light shooting. I also would not "rubber stamp" many photographers advice regarding getting the 50mm f/1.8 Markii Canon "Nifty Fifty" as my low light lens! The Nifty Fifty doesn't produce great IQ wide open and its auto-focus is rather IFFY in low light levels.

I would put my cash into a excellent medium focal length zoom lens with a minimum aperture of f/2.8 and, preferably, with some type of image stabilization. I would want this lens to have fast and accurate auto-focus capabilities in lower light levels. My choice as a general purpose medium range zoom lens is the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens. I have been shooting with tht lens since it was introduced and have had absolultely no problems with it...

During Alaska trip, of several years ago, I shot with a Canon 30D and a 40D with 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and 70-200mm f/4L IS lenses. I now shoot with a pair of Canon 7D cameras but use the same two lenses. If I ever decide to upgrade to a 7D Markii, I will still shoot with the same pair of lenses. Top-line glass lasts a long time without needing upgrading.

Regarding weatherproofed cameras, I use a Kata Rain Cover and have shot for ten days on Alaska's Kenai Peninsula where it rained every single day. I had no problem with the moisture. The Kata is light weight and reasonable in cost. It is also easy to use. So while getting a weatherproof camera/lens is nice, it might not be a deciding factor.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 18th April 2015 at 03:53 PM.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    FIRST: If I were relatively new to DSLR photography, I would not consider purchasing a used camera because if there were problems,
    SECOND: For your intended used, I would not consider a kit lens. Although kit lenses do produce quite decent image quality, IMO, they are not quite the choice for lower light shooting. I also would not "rubber stamp" many photographers advice regarding getting the 50mm f/1.8 Markii Canon "Nifty Fifty" as my low light lens! The Nifty Fifty doesn't produce great IQ wide open and its auto-focus is rather IFFY in low light levels.

I would put my cash into a excellent medium focal length zoom lens with a minimum aperture of f/2.8 and, preferably, with some type of image stabilization. I would want this lens to have fast and accurate auto-focus capabilities in lower light levels. My choice as a general purpose medium range zoom lens is the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens. I have been shooting with tht lens since it was introduced and have had absolultely no problems with it...
    Richard, would you recommend second hand lens for someone new to DSLR? I don't own the Nikon version of the 17-55mm but it looks like it is built like a tank and I've heard its good. It also costs a lot, I think around $1300 new on B&H website. OP might want to look at used lens if buying Nikon, or maybe avoiding Nikon? Select lens first, then camera body?

Nikon have a couple of current versions of the 50mm f/1.8. The pricier "G" version having a built in focus motor, while the cheaper "D" doesn't, and will not auto-focus on the Nikon D3300 (lacks a focus motor on the camera body).

Real Name
    J stands for John

John (jcuknz),
    Maybe my camera is not that good, but shooting in A mode have never worked for me. Today I was in a beach, taking photos of the ducks in the rocks.. It sounds simple, but the camera just couldn't understand what I wanted. I couldn't use even the AF, as it was focusing on the rocks, instead of the ducks! And that’s why I like to have full control. I hate missing a shot because the camera wronged the my subject =/
    A sad fact of life is that not all bridge cameras are equal and I left Nikon for Panasonic a decade ago but my Nikon is a great if limited by today's standards and still available and used occasionally.

You focusing problems at the beach I suspect is user lack of knowledge rather than a camera problem ...I suspect you do not appreciate how useful 'half trigger' is in tricking he camera's automatics into giving you what you want and MUCH MUCH faster than stuffing around in Manual in many cases .... and I often do it

It is possible that your Nikon has a large AF target area which makes precise focusing difficult but in your beach shot you focus on the ducks while taking HT and then continuing to hold HT re-frame for the composition you want ... that is the basic technique and can also be applied to including more sky in the picture to trick AE into not letting the sky burn out ... that was my first use of it I think

So if my suspicions are correct it is knowledge of how to use your existing camera you need rather than a new camera.
    As I said earlier I used a bridge camera, three of them as Panasonic brought out versions with more features, for a decade, briefly looking at a DSLR which I found wanting in comparison as a tool to my bridge, before getting MFT as bridge R&D went towards the super-zoom and tromboning lenses .... neither of which had any benefit for me and failed to increase the size of the sensor to permit high ISO use ..... so I reluctantly chose a Panasonic G3 and a 14-140 zoom and found it an excellent combination/tool .... my "larger sensored bridge camera" without the weight and cost of similar DSLR rig .... and even better when I got my current GH2 with all its knobs and levers instead of having to go into the menu for features I occasionally use.
    So I repeat that knowing your gear and how to use it is more important than some mythical new 'super camera'
    Unfortunately the new-comer is advised that buying a DSLR will make you a 'PRO' ... LOL ... sadly it doesn't.
    Last edited by jcuknz; 18th April 2015 at 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling :(

Real Name
    Richard

David, I would only buy a second hand lens if I were sure of the lens and the seller. I purchased a pair of lenses from a Texas photographer who is a family friend. He needed to liquidate his 300mm f/4L IS and 400mm f/5.6L lens to replace them with faster glass to fulfill a contract to shoot night high school football games. (High School football is a big-time sport in the state of Texas). I knew the man and knew how carefully he treated his gear.

I purchased the two lenses with the intention of deciding which I liked best and selling the other. I liked both lenses so I kept them both.

My one foray into second hand lenses, from a stranger, was a 90mm Tamron f/2.8 Macro lens which I purchased for such a low price that I couldn't refuse it. It has worked fine for me.

There are some merchants who sell pre-owned lenses and are reliable but often their prices are very close to new. Good glass doesn't depreciate greatly. The problem with getting a factory refurbished item is that the specific item you want may not always be available.

Real Name
    J stands for John

I bought my current most used lens from KEH and they tend to downplay the state of their second hand equipment so I have read of people buying the lowest bracket and finding them excellent for use if rather worn ...My lens looks as new and works well for me. I think I bought an 8+ graded one.

Plenty of good advice above to consider.
    At the risk of throwing a curve ball into the mix, you can pick up some low count D700's around the $1k mark.
    Full frame, Good up to ISO 6400 for low light action, reasonable weatherproofing (though at that age, one should check the seals), screw drive for older AF lenses
    If you don't need oodles of Megapickles, it may be worth considering.

Real Name
    Winnie

Thank you for all the answers! You helped me a lot on searching for a new camera.
    I understand John (jcuknz) point. I do need to know better my camera. And I would definitely keep my current camera if it wasn't for some problems it has. For example, I can't change its lens, and that is something that is bothering me. The camera's current lens is great, but it doesn't fulfill my needs.
    I decided to get a D5300 for now, but I'm not buying it yet. I still want to learn more about lenses, to choose a good one for what I need.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Based on my rather limited knowledge, IMHO, I would first focus on lenses as camera bodies come
    and go, but lenses are forever. Check out lenses that have superior MTF characteristics, https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...resolution.htm
    Then buy that body.

Real Name
    J stands for John

........ And I would definitely keep my current camera if it wasn't for some problems it has. For example, I can't change its lens, and that is something that is bothering me. The camera's current lens is great, but it doesn't fulfill my needs.........
    The whole point of a bridge camera is that you have a range of focal lengths in the single lens and you do not need to change lenses. I currently have an ILC but cannot remember when I last changed lens It seems as I read blogs that when most people have an ILC they are continually wondering about what lens to get next. Fortunately a near decade with bridge cameras inoculated me from that malady I was extremely frustrated when I got my first MFT with the kit lens [28-84mm] for the limited reach after using a 35-430mm bridge so I compromised with a 28-280mm lens which ignores that it is on an ILC, needed for the rare instances when I want to use extension tubes, and gives me a similar zoom range to my original bridge which was 35-280mm.
    There are so many different kinds of photography that accepting the limitation of each type of camera, and over the years I have owned or used most kinds, is no great problem in finding what to use ones gear of the time on.
    But I wish you well and I can vaguely remember thinking along your lines way back

Real Name
    Lukas Werth

If I'd be on a limited budget - well, I am, in fact, but I have my camera already - I would most likely go for the Fujifilm x pro 1: my dealer offers a body with two lenses for what should in the US be quite within your budget. The camera has an excellent reputation, and you don"t pay so much for it that you won't be able to get an x pro 2 once it is out (rumours abut it are, but Almighty knows when t will be actually released).
    The camera doesn't have all the qualifications you are looking for, but then none probably has, and you buy yourself into a system which seems quite successful and attractive, which is constantly being developed, and that at a very reasonable price.

Lukas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12