Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Macro Lighting Issues

Real Name
    J stands for John

Re: Macro Lighting Issues

After teaching myself to handle the very slight delay of an EVF, a technique adapted from SLR days of 'one eye to frame and the other eye around the camera' to time the shot [ and watch for blinks by human subjects ], I have no trouble. Both the EVF and Mirror system suffer from the same problem that the SLR has and that is 'going to black' for the moment of exposure ... so neither are superior to the other and the 'two eyes' provides my answer irrespective of what viewfinder I am using.
    A side issue is my firm belief that people normally blame their gear for their human failings and in this case their reaction time.
    For sports/action ..... photographers developed the logical answer of the 'wire' or 'sports' finder years before digital came on the scene and I had that option in my Rollieflex of yesteryears and my first film camera had one ... my Coronet Cub which was an 828 film camera with just a trigger.
    Macro Lighting Issues
    The lens came out from the body like the Leica Elmar f/3.5 50mm which I was later to use

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    After teaching myself to handle the very slight delay of an EVF, a technique adapted from SLR days of 'one eye to frame and the other eye around the camera' to time the shot [ and watch for blinks by human subjects ], I have no trouble.
    So for clarity you are referring to subjects that are static and you are timing when you press the shutter so as it's not when they are blinking, not trying to maintain extremely accurate focus moving the camera bodily whilst tracking a moving subject to try and shoot at the time when its eye is central within a range of minimal DoF.

Both the EVF and Mirror system suffer from the same problem that the SLR has and that is 'going to black' for the moment of exposure ... so neither are superior to the other
    Is this your answer with regards to the reason you prefer the accuracy of the EVF?

I must admit I have never found the 'going black' of any consequence whatsoever but would be interested if you can tell me when it would be a disadvantage, I can not think of one

and the 'two eyes' provides my answer irrespective of what viewfinder I am using.
    But the two eye method is not going to help at all with that small bug in front of the camera and lens with respect to obtaining correct focus.

For sports/action ..... photographers developed the logical answer of the 'wire' or 'sports' finder years before digital came on the scene
    Yes, and this was to assist in giving the photographer a 'larger' view than what he could see in the viewfinder of the times, not a focusing aid.

Whilst the EVF is fine in many circumstances, it is not ideal in some

Real Name
    J stands for John

I think the first time I remembered and used the 'two eyes' was when at the beach and trying to capture the spray from breaking waves and after half a dozen 'late' shots I changed my way and got the shot I was after ... obviously a slow learner

These answers are not much to do with the thread subject and both Grahame and I like the way we work and are unlikely to change so 'that's it from me'
    Last edited by jcuknz; 19th April 2015 at 03:51 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12