Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White Balance Meter?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: White Balance Meter?

Not sure if I dreamt this, or if it actually exists

A few years back now, I think recall seeing someone here link to a software app. or plug in that assessed an image of a mixed lighting scene and allowed the individual light sources to be manipulated for intensity and (I think) colour temperature in post processing.

I recall it had an impressive looking video of what you could do, it might even have had an interactive image you could play with (simulated) on their web site. Perhaps the fact that I'm not using it now says something though.

Anyone else seen it?
    Or should I call the patent office after I figure out how to do it?

Cheers, Dave

Real Name
    Robbie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Not sure if I dreamt this, or if it actually exists

Cheers, Dave
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL2DH-nKBeA

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

15 mins googling hasn't produced anything other than a plethora of research papers on the topic, no one advertising a plug-in or application.

I think you're right Robbie!

Real Name
    Peter Brock

I completely agree with Grumpy. Once you become accustomed to different shades of white, you will realize that restaurants in particular are a pain as they may contain fourescnet behind the bar, Edison lighting on the bar, candle lighting on tables, etc. Plus, the staff who are sent to buy replaement bulbs may not be instructed to make sure the white balances match the old so even in an intentionall set up row of lights, there may be one that is out of whack. I saw a filming of Modern Family in Las Vegas and just drooled at all the lighting and gels the guy in charge had at his disposal!! One way of balancing the whites might be to trun off all of the lights and insert flashes in the fixtures set on a wireless release. But, even then you have to be cautious of the colors of the lampshade, etc. The best advice I can give as someone who used to do a lot of real estate photography is invest in light stands and flashes, meter for the ambient light outside (assuming there is a window in the photo) and turn off all of the interior lights. Good luck and do not invest in expensive things like a white balance meter. They are mostly for fashion photographers who HAVE to make sure their colors are spot on for their designer clients who may blow the image up to a poster. Most real estate photos are for posting online and so even if you get everything perfect, it may not show up right on a viewer's monitor unless it is calibrated, etc.

Real Name
    John

There are all sorts of problems with colours and cameras without mixed light sources. This for instance is a check on the colour fidelity of an A7R, borrowed from a review site.

There are all sorts of problems with colours and cameras without mixed light sources. This for instance is a check on the colour fidelity of an A7R, borrowed from a revies site. It's more or less as good as they can be.

White Balance Meter?

Throw in mixed light sources especially spiky lighting like led's and tubes and all sorts of problems crop up. There is often a lot of blue in them to make the light seem to be more like daylight. Various materials can react more to that difference than others. Filament lighting is better as it's more akin to black body radiation. On fabrics different types can even produce different results as far as the camera is concerned even in sunlight. The worst I have come across was a dyed natural wool pull over and artificial material trousers. Both identically black by eye.

Really I think it all comes down to adjusting for a pleasing over all image so if the white is critical like it may be on a wedding dress it needs to look good and be close. Stood in a line with a lot of other people around though that can be difficult.

Flash or lamps might help interior shots but if there are several heads getting the right balance is likely to prove difficult. Maybe the best answer is to use flash and only shoot angles that it covers. That just leaves distance lighting effects which pp can take care of providing it's not extreme. Plus reflections of course.

John
    -

I use the Sekonic Spectromaster C-700R. It's not cheap at *cough* 1400GBP but it's a marvellous tool that tells you what all the light sources are so you can expose for what you want and correct others you want to eliminate.

Sometimes, as been suggested, eliminating some light sources is to simply switch them off. Given that real estate doesn't move and your tripod is your friend available light is key.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    I use the Sekonic Spectromaster C-700R. It's not cheap at *cough* 1400GBP but it's a marvellous tool that tells you what all the light sources are so you can expose for what you want and correct others you want to eliminate.

Sometimes, as been suggested, eliminating some light sources is to simply switch them off. Given that real estate doesn't move and your tripod is your friend available light is key.
    If anyone wants a cheaper version

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-Mini-S...IAAOSwvUlWqprH

John
    -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12