Thread: online photography courses?

Real Name
    Kristy

online photography courses?

I'm beginning to look into the possibility of taking an online photography course. I'm interested in the courses offered by the New York Institute of Photography. Has anyone here had any experience with classes though them? Any advice for someone wanting to move from beginner to professional over the next few years? My focus would be portraits, weddings, families, etc. I feel like there is so much to learn, but I hardly know where to begin, and that perhaps a few high quality classes would help ensure that I learn the essentials thoroughly. Thoughts, anyone? Thanks!
    Kristy

Real Name
    Kris

Re: online photography courses?

Not sure about actual photography classes, but for PP I would check out http://www.damiensymonds.com.au/training.html

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I've moved your thread to a place that is probably more relevant and more likely to be seen by people who can answer your question.

That being said, online courses come in many flavours and styles. Some are little more than videos that you can watch with no feedback while others may have some form of critique that a real person looks at from time to time. I've taken both types, but in my experience, dealing with a real life hands-on instructor is what works best for me.

The two best known paysites (subscription) are likely Lynda.com and KelbyOne.

Real Name
    John

I had a chance to pick up a copy of NYIP course list for their traditional classes and the institute covers a range of photography (from film, developing your own negatives, PP, to more current genres) and students have to either have taken prerequisite courses or have a substantial portfolio to assure the school that the student is ready for the next level. If their online courses are anything as detailed as the brick and mortar setting, then it would be worthwhile to consider. I believe course feedback can be a bit delayed and you'll probably already be onto another lesson before results of previous lesson has been returned.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

My hindsight is 20/20 and, were I to do it all over again...spend a lot of time getting to know
    your gear and your manual, inside and out...then enroll in
    The two best known paysites (subscription) are likely Lynda.com and KelbyOne.
    When you feel comfortable with your output, it's time for feedback of some kind...
    I'm a believer in one-on-one...seek out a local college (art or photography) professor.

FWIW...I am not, nor have any desire to turn, professional...taking a pretty picture is but a
    miniscule part of a vocation that doesn't pay that well. IMHO

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

What is wrong with CiC -- you can upload your shot, get critique and improvement and how to work your PP almost on a one-on-one ? Just sayin'...

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    What is wrong with CiC -- you can upload your shot, get critique and improvement and how to work your PP almost on a one-on-one ? Just sayin'...
    We don't grade.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I find CiC makes a great addition to formal education, but in itself does not replace it.

While members are more than helpful in terms of technical and creative advice and critique others work, I don't think it in any way replaces a more formal education process, especially if there is another human providing hands on assistance.

Real Name
    Kristy

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    I've moved your thread to a place that is probably more relevant and more likely to be seen by people who can answer your question.
    Thanks! I wasn't sure where to put it... You're on top of things! I appreciate your input, too. I'll keep doing my research before making any final decisions, but thought I'd see if anyone has had experience with such classes. Thanks!
    Last edited by Manfred M; 9th April 2015 at 10:34 PM. Reason: fixed quote terminator

Real Name
    Kristy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I had a chance to pick up a copy of NYIP course list for their traditional classes and the institute covers a range of photography (from film, developing your own negatives, PP, to more current genres) and students have to either have taken prerequisite courses or have a substantial portfolio to assure the school that the student is ready for the next level. If their online courses are anything as detailed as the brick and mortar setting, then it would be worthwhile to consider. I believe course feedback can be a bit delayed and you'll probably already be onto another lesson before results of previous lesson has been returned.
    Thanks for your input on this! My understanding is that the online courses are "at your own pace," so I'm not sure how timely feedback would be. But, I also know students have a mentor who works closely with them, so I think there would be at least some one on one coaching. Anyway, I'll keep doing my research. It's helpful to hear that at least the school itself has a good reputation for being rigorous.

Real Name
    Kristy

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    My hindsight is 20/20 and, were I to do it all over again...spend a lot of time getting to know
    your gear and your manual, inside and out...then enroll in

When you feel comfortable with your output, it's time for feedback of some kind...
    I'm a believer in one-on-one...seek out a local college (art or photography) professor.

FWIW...I am not, nor have any desire to turn, professional...taking a pretty picture is but a
    miniscule part of a vocation that doesn't pay that well. IMHO
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am wanting to make some money with my photography as a second income for our family, but it's definitely going to be part time for quite a few years while my kiddos are little. So, I am hoping to learn as quickly and efficiently as possible, and don't want to spend a lot of time trying to figure out what it is that I need to be learning. Hence, feeling like I need a little more structure than just "I'm going to take pictures, try to figure out Photoshop, look at videos on you tube, and hope I learn everything I need to know..." Which is basically what I've been doing so far. Maybe I just lack confidence that I actually know what I'm doing! Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Real Name
    Kristy

Thanks Izzie! Your comment made me smile! There's absolutely nothing wrong with CiC! In fact, I feel like I have learned more here than I did in the one "Into to Photography" course I took in college a few years ago. I'm just thinking that there is a lot I need to learn and know before I'm prepared to "go into business" as a photographer! I plan to stay on CiC and continue gleaning from you all regardless of whether I take an online course or not.

Real Name
    Stu

While not hugely challenging, I am just completing a free Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) called "The Art of Photography" through the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology that was useful - I'm a beginner. It is DL / video teaching and the "feedback loop" is limited to some simplistic quizzes and assessments, as well as critique from colleague students as you are encouraged to post your photos and critique each other (as on CiC, in fact the course refers students to CiC) You may wish to sign up for the next course starting mid-April (a new course runs every four weeks). As Manfred says above, there is a lot to be said for face to face learning with a teacher - this can't replace that but I found it another useful step forward. With the link this time: https://www.open2study.com/login?wan...p%3Fid%3D68717

1. Wedding Photography Workshop with Neil van Niekerk : Neil Van Niekerk will discuss real-world practical steps to help you develop and achieve your own defined personal style in wedding photography.

2. A whole new way to learn photography is coming to Unique online University! they will be expanding their Unique classroom experience to anyone, anywhere by offering select online classes. This is an exciting time to be a part of the Unique Photo family and we can't wait to share more info about our online programs soon!

Real Name
    Phil Page

Online workshops vary considerably. I was given a diploma course as a gift recently and it was a complete waste of time - after sitting through the first 1 hour (in the background on my headphones while having some quiet time at work) I decided to miss the following 'lectures' and just try the tests and final exam blind.

Seriously, 15 minutes on google would give you more learning.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    Online workshops vary considerably. I was given a diploma course as a gift recently and it was a complete waste of time - after sitting through the first 1 hour (in the background on my headphones while having some quiet time at work) I decided to miss the following 'lectures' and just try the tests and final exam blind.

Seriously, 15 minutes on google would give you more learning.
    The problem with Google/Youtube tutorials, at least for me; are the videos where the so called instructor tries to convince us that they have a personality. I was viewing one video where the instructor started the lecture as he was driving a vehicle and eating a sandwich. You had to sit through his dialogue before you (and I didn't wait for it) got to the actual learning material.

Real Name
    Erik

Kristy - there is some great advice above. Let me talk from someone who was a rank Noob (which end do I point?) and now I would considered myself as an intermediate beginner.

I have taken an Online Course at BPSOP - you can see my review here For me this was a perfect choice as it really help solidify the basics and established a foundation.

I have also signed up for KelbyOne. These videos have been very helpful and the student can go at their own pace, and for me it is a nice addition to my learning. I try to treat the courses as real courses and take notes and do some exercises based on the presentation. This really helps solidify the topics.

Learning is different for everyone, and you need to decided what works best for you. I would caution about taking too much at once in the beginning. Take time to learn your equipment and practice, practice and practice.

Most of all, have fun!!
    Last edited by TheBigE; 10th April 2015 at 05:36 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

If the reviews on YELP are any indicator of the quality and the relevance of the NYIP course, I would not waste my money...

Here is one posting from http://www.yelp.com/biz/new-york-ins...raphy-new-york The posting is dated: October 1, 2014 so it is pretty recent!

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY AND TIME!!!! I signed up for "Digital Photography: The Complete Course" because in order to progress to other seminars and such I needed to learn Photoshop which the advisors promised would be covered. I have a very demanding job so not having to sit in a classroom appealed to me very much.

First of all, the materials are copyrighted in 2003 which is lightyears behind where digital cameras are now. They spend an extraordinary amount of time talking about FILM yet this is a digital course. The DVD weekend workshops are a joke to see the dean Chuck DeLaney running around with a disposable camera. They talk about BIG memory cards being 512MB.

In turning in my first homework assignment, it took over a month before I got any feedback. When I called in they said it normally takes 3 weeks.

Seriously, they've lost all credibility with me and I really regret giving my money to these people.

Other postings on YELP are not much more encouraging...

Real Name
    Kristy

Thanks so much everyone for your input! It's helpful to hear your thoughts. I think for now I'm going to work on gaining confidence with my equipment, devour the books my hubby gave me for my birthday (Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson, and Photoshop Elements for Dummies), try to implement what I learn there, go through all the tutorials here on CiC, and (taking Erik's advise) keep having fun. That should keep me busy for a good while! Once I gain more confidence in my skills, I will probably look into trying to find a local photographer to work with, hopefully to gain some practical business experience. Thanks again to all of you for taking the time to respond to my questions! You've been most helpful.
    Kristy