Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: PS Elements and RAM

PS Elements and RAM

I've got an old PS Elements program and was trying to get it to do a photomerge from 3 pictures I took yesterday.
    It comes back with 'Can't save because the disc is full' when I try to save it.
    I've got a 1.5TB hard drive with 1.3TB free and 8 gigs of RAM running.
    Where's my problem?

Real Name
    John

Re: PS Elements and RAM

I believe Elements has a buffer setting that you use to allocate available RAM. It should be under preferences.

Real Name
    Ted

Yes, in PSE 6 it's under preferences then performance.

Don't confuse RAM with disk space. The OP's error message appears to be referring to disk space. You might check your default save location - it might not be pointing to the large hard drive, but perhaps to a smaller drive or smaller partition, depending upon how your computer is set up.

Well, I checked my 'save' location and it was pointed at my Recovery Image partition. I changed that and the scratch location too, all to no avail. I guess they want me to upgrade PSE, ie spend more money, and that ain't gonna happen.
    Thanks for the help though.
    I was able to make a fairly nice panorama from yesterday, I just can't save the dang thing.

Real Name
    Terry

Have you upgraded your OS lately?

Sometimes when you have an older copy of a program, and then upgrade the operating system it leaves the older, no-longer-supported program in the dust. Has PSE been working okay with the operating system and this is a new development?

If you google the PSE version and relate it to the present OS you may find others with the same problem. There may be a work-around available if that is the case.

Real Name
    Peter

Check Preferences, and location of Scratch Discs.

I still have a copy of PS7(from 2003!) that runns OK on Win7.

Thanks Peter, already did that. I'm running Win 8.1 unfortunately.

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysOnAuto View Post
    Thanks Peter, already did that. I'm running Win 8.1 unfortunately.
    Hi Alan,

Nothing unfortunate about 8.1, it'a an excellent OS. Don't think it's the program either. Yer problem's probably with scratch disk/space. If yer scratch disk is set at default (boot drive) then, as ye add permanent data tae this drive the amount of scratch space is reduced - which is when ye get "disk full" messages. Scratch space is only for temporary storage.

Have a look at just how much space is being used while yer on a project.

Ye can set the scratch disk tae erase all data at set intervals keeping space clear. Or, partition X gb of hard drive for the scratch disk, use that and problems should disappear.

Personally, ah think scratch disk/space on modern OSs and multiple HDDs are redundant. If yer running more than ...say 4 gb RAM , then ah really doubt ye'll see any performance gain using scratch. A few years ago..aye, with much less ram and disk space available.

Boab, I'm running 8gb of RAM and have switched the scratch space over to a drive that has 1+gb of free space. Still no joy. I googled the problem and found that my version isn't compatible with 8.1 without an upgrade. I'm not too upset with that as I don't do a lot of PP work. I like 'em straight out of the camera.