Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For Lightroom users - a different way to use AutoMask

Re: For Lightroom users - a different way to use AutoMask

Mike:

For the past few years, to remove "overspray" when brushing, I hold down the Alt key, and brush away the over-sprayed area. Works quite well. I thought this was universally known - probably learned it in one of my Martin Evening books.

Glenn

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Thanks for the tip, Glenn. I only use Lightroom to do follow-up procedures that I can't do in my primary software, so I'm not at all familiar with the stuff that typical Lightroom users know. I'll only use Lightroom to do the normal editing stuff if I decide to abandon my primary software. I'll abandon it only if I have a compelling reason. It's quirky enough that that might happen tomorrow or years from now. That explains why I'm interested in this thread and have only a relatively ignorant perspective about Lightroom's and ACR's capabilities.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Mike.

Real Name
    Robert

Mark "Downrigger" mentioned-
    patchy, noise-like results
    This can be caused by using the brush with "Auto Mask" checked on. Auto mask will make the brush select pixels of equal tone to the brush centre spot [+] where you first started a brush stroke. So if you have an area that has fine detail with lots of differing tones, the mask will certainly only pick out pixels of similar tone, hence noise-like results. Detailed areas are best brushed with Auto-mask turned off, and making use of the mask overlay [O] [SHIFT+O, to change the mask colour]. Use [ALT] to swap to the erase brush. Turn Auto-Mask back on when you brush areas of smooth or even tones.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12