Thread: Fungus in lens

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

Fungus in lens

Hi All,

I am planning to borrow Nikon 18-200 from one of my friend for my next trip. Problem is the lens has fungus for almost one year now (it has not increased or decreased). It is on some inner element. My doubt is; is there any possibility of that fungus getting transferred to my camera? or is it completely safe to use that lens on my (fungus free) camera?

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Fungus in lens

If the fungus is between the lens elements your camera is safe. Besides, your camera(and most everyone elses) is already being routinely exposed to airborne fungus/mold spores every day. Or at least every time it is exposed to atmosphere without a lens/cap attached. Spores are quite common airborne contaminants in most places. They only become problematic when they begin to grow.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

All lenses, especially zoom lenses have a certain amount of "blowback" as you zoom in or zoom out, although the "internally focusing" ones generally minimize that. The 18-200mm lens is not an internally focusing type, so there is definitely some blowback happening.

This means air inside the lens is pushed into your mirror chamber as you zoom out, and there is certainly a possibility that spores and other matter inside the lens can be transferred into your camera. Mould spores can live for a long time, even in a very harsh environment, and will start growing again, when the conditions are right, so stability of the mould growth in the less will not impact the risk at all.

Mould needs a high humidity environment to grow, so if you store your camera in a humidity controlled environment, where mould growth risk is minimized, then there is a lower risk. Unfortunately, there is no simple answer to your question, because of climate conditions of where you live.

What I would say is thatf if you do not have any mould growth in your equipment currently, it is likely that your lens storage is good enough to not have to worry about it.

Dan and I live in places where mould growth in camera gear is a very low risk....

Real Name
    Richard

I know this is not an answer to your post but, there are a couple of ways to minimize fungus growth in photo equipment...

Store the equipment in a low humidity environment. When I worked out of Saigon, we stored our equipment in a locker that had a small, low wattage incandescent bulb burning 24/7. This kept the normally moist environment relatively dry...

Leather tends to be a breeding ground for fungus spores. Leather cases and straps were a common practice in the 1960's but, are less common now. However, many retro cases and straps, made of leather, are beginning to show up. Unless the leather has been treated (I don't know how effective any treatment is) you are taking a chance in using any leather accessories in a high humidity situation...

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

so that means it is risky to use the fungus impacted lens.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by mrinmoyvk View Post
    so that means it is risky to use the fungus impacted lens.
    I think the answer is one can't know for sure. Lenses and cameras are exposed to contaminates all the time, including mould spores. This is how your friend's lens developed mould on the interior optical elements in the first place.

In the case of fungus, the risk is more related to how you store your own equipment as fungus needs to be in a warm, humid environment to grow. If you store your equipment in a humidity controlled environment, even when there is a high concentration of spores, the mould won't be able to grow.

The other issue is the location of the mould in the lens you plan to borrow. If it is in a part of the lens where there is no air movement, the likelihood of spreading the spores is lower than if it is located on the surface of a lens element that is subjected to air movement during zoom operations.

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    I think the answer is one can't know for sure. Lenses and cameras are exposed to contaminates all the time, including mould spores. This is how your friend's lens developed mould on the interior optical elements in the first place.

In the case of fungus, the risk is more related to how you store your own equipment as fungus needs to be in a warm, humid environment to grow. If you store your equipment in a humidity controlled environment, even when there is a high concentration of spores, the mould won't be able to grow.

The other issue is the location of the mould in the lens you plan to borrow. If it is in a part of the lens where there is no air movement, the likelihood of spreading the spores is lower than if it is located on the surface of a lens element that is subjected to air movement during zoom operations.
    While the time of using the camera with lens on it, climate conditions will be hot and humid. Once I am back from the trip I will be able to keep the camera in dry place with 18-200 removed and my 50 mm attached.

And how would I know where is the fungus? I can say for sure that it is not on the front most (farthest from camera) or rear most (closest to the camera) element

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by mrinmoyvk View Post
    While the time of using the camera with lens on it, climate conditions will be hot and humid. Once I am back from the trip I will be able to keep the camera in dry place with 18-200 removed and my 50 mm attached.

And how would I know where is the fungus? I can say for sure that it is not on the front most (farthest from camera) or rear most (closest to the camera) element
    The issue is not necessarily using the lens in those conditions, as you will be exposing your equipment to all kinds of contaminants (including naturally occurring spores), but rather how you will be storing your equipment when you get back from your trip. I have been to tropical and sub tropical areas many times for several weeks and in one case a couple of months at a time, yet have not had an mould growth in any of my gear. The reason is that when I get back, the natural conditions where I live (and the storage conditions for my camera equipment) is not conducive for mould growth.

With a contaminated lens, you are potentially increasing the risk of exposure to spores by having air pushed in and out of your camera gear through the zooming action. There is no way we can tell you if that risk is significant or not. If you are concerned (and you appear to be quite concerned), then don't use the lens.

Real Name
    Carol

"With a contaminated lens, you are potentially increasing the risk of exposure to spores by having air pushed in and out of your camera gear through the zooming action. There is no way we can tell you if that risk is significant or not. If you are concerned (and you appear to be quite concerned), then don't use the lens. "

+1. I would not take the chance, but it's up to you.

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

Thanks everyone for the information. I have decided to take a chance. That extra reach till 200mm made me fall for it as I only have 18-55. Lets see... I might post another thread few months later about cleaning sensor if I am not lucky