Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carrying 2 cameras with 500mm and 70-200 at same time?

Re: Carrying 2 cameras with 500mm and 70-200 at same time?

I was going to say, if he were carrying Nikon's he could just beat the bear to death with the cameras and continued on with his hiking, but I didn't want to start any fights.

Could I be the first to volunteer for the porter job?

Real Name
    Matthew

I do have a bear spray canister and I will have it on me the entire trip. Perhaps I can rig some kind of way to hang it from the cotton carrier. Anyway, I will let you guys know what I think when I get the carrier.

Real Name
    Richard

You don't need bear spray. You simply need to be with someone who is not as fast a runner as you are.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    You don't need bear spray. You simply need to be with someone who is not as fast a runner as you are.
    Then again, if you're really slow, the bear spray can come in handy to spray your hiking partner first and then take off running. Some question whether it works on bears but it darn sure works on people.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Remember that spray no matter what it is, depends on where the wind is blowing...you might end up blowing the spray on the face instead of the bear...

Real Name
    Bob

Depending on when you are visiting Yellowstone, the mass of tourists and tour buses are a bigger problem to hindering your activities and photographs then bears.

Dr Bob

My suggestion is to take some Advil, a six pack and a heated seat for the end of the day. With that much weight and hovering over the camera, you'll need it.

I was carrying a d810 with a 70-200 and a d7100 with my wide angle for landscapes when we were hiking but I kept the wide angle in the back pack. Keep your 500mm in your back pack so that you keep all the weigh on your hips. If you see a subject that you'll need your 500mm for, I seriously doubt you'll be close enough to spook the subject before setting up.

When we were in the Tetons last September, tourist were frequently spotting a male grizzly dubbed as #260, (if I recall correctly), anyway it was a young male with two females in the area. The tourist got close enough to cause the park rangers to close the road. We read later in the news that the Park Rangers had to kill the young male because it was getting to close to the tourist and apparently got agitated with the close proximity of the tourist. (I believe this was during an attempt to tranquilize but I maybe only hoping). It was sad to hear the news and I hope you don't encounter a problem like this, although I hope you get a chance to photograph safely from a distance.

Make noise while hiking in dense timber when you can't see far and learn how to use a can of bear spray.

Real Name
    Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
    Depending on when you are visiting Yellowstone, the mass of tourists and tour buses are a bigger problem to hindering your activities and photographs then bears.

Dr Bob
    That is a very real fear that I have. I expect it to be busier than I'd like. (FYI I will be there May 11-15)

Real Name
    Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Dave View Post
    My suggestion is to take some Advil, a six pack and a heated seat for the end of the day. With that much weight and hovering over the camera, you'll need it.

I was carrying a d810 with a 70-200 and a d7100 with my wide angle for landscapes when we were hiking but I kept the wide angle in the back pack. Keep your 500mm in your back pack so that you keep all the weigh on your hips. If you see a subject that you'll need your 500mm for, I seriously doubt you'll be close enough to spook the subject before setting up.

When we were in the Tetons last September, tourist were frequently spotting a male grizzly dubbed as #260, (if I recall correctly), anyway it was a young male with two females in the area. The tourist got close enough to cause the park rangers to close the road. We read later in the news that the Park Rangers had to kill the young male because it was getting to close to the tourist and apparently got agitated with the close proximity of the tourist. (I believe this was during an attempt to tranquilize but I maybe only hoping). It was sad to hear the news and I hope you don't encounter a problem like this, although I hope you get a chance to photograph safely from a distance.

Make noise while hiking in dense timber when you can't see far and learn how to use a can of bear spray.
    Thanks for the tips and advice. I have a bear spray canister and am currently devising a way to attach it to my waist for instant access. I am phobic of bears, so this should be quite an interesting trip. I plan NOT to do too much hiking, as I will have a lot of weight and gear. My gut instincts are pretty good, so I am sure that when I'm in the park, I will constantly have a feeling for where I should and should not go. As another person said, it will probably be pretty busy anyway, there will most likely be a bunch of people everywhere (which I dislike, but at the same time should make it safer for me)

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrel View Post
    Thanks for the tips and advice. I have a bear spray canister and am currently devising a way to attach it to my waist for instant access. I am phobic of bears, so this should be quite an interesting trip. I plan NOT to do too much hiking, as I will have a lot of weight and gear. My gut instincts are pretty good, so I am sure that when I'm in the park, I will constantly have a feeling for where I should and should not go. As another person said, it will probably be pretty busy anyway, there will most likely be a bunch of people everywhere (which I dislike, but at the same time should make it safer for me)
    Yeah, the canister will hook on your belt loops and the instructions say to spray in a "sweeping" motion in front of the bear's direction. My girlfriend "accidentally" pulled the pin and sprayed some bear spray in our bedroom when we were there. She came upstairs to tell me and when she got to me I instantly started wheezing, coughing and snotting. Had to finish my coffee outside. The stuff works!

Good luck and I'm looking forward to see your photos!

Real Name
    Dan

...I expect it to be busier than I'd like. (FYI I will be there May 11-15)
    One thing going for you with that timing is that you are before summer break for schools. We don't have kids and over the years have found that traveling before Memorial weekend or after Labor Day reduces crowds significantly. That said, Yellowstone is one of the more popular parks for international tourists who don't have the same schedule constraints. I've only been there in September/October and it wasn't so bad. Sure busier than I'd have preferred. But then again I'd prefer not to see any other people at all when I'm out shooting

Real Name
    Bob

I have been to Yellowstone in mid May several years ago and the tourists are minimal. It's been a mild winter, but normally road closers and snow is more of an issue at that time of year. I don't think it will be a problem this year.

Dr Bob

Real Name
    Dan

...I am phobic of bears...
    Then stay out of Norway. Did you see this article ?

Real Name
    Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Sure busier than I'd have preferred. But then again I'd prefer not to see any other people at all when I'm out shooting
    Same. Don't feel bad.

Real Name
    Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
    I have been to Yellowstone in mid May several years ago and the tourists are minimal. It's been a mild winter, but normally road closers and snow is more of an issue at that time of year. I don't think it will be a problem this year.

Dr Bob
    Thanks for all of your help, Bob.

Real Name
    Bobo

I have not read all comments but pretty sure that they already covered everything.

Personally? I would carry the big one in a backpack along with the tripod and use the 70-200 for almost everything that needs speed and mobility on your part. You will "know" when that 500 is going to be used and for what. In those circumstances you will usually have time to set it up. In any case you cannot possibly be expecting to be using the tripod mounted 500 in a split second. Actually you could not so...

The alternative is leave the 70-200 and invest in the 100-400 Mk II.

Real Name
    Matthew

FYI to all, I have received the cotton carrier.
    I like it, but there are a few issues. I had to rig some crazy custom setup onto the lens foot in order to mount the carrier attachment piece but still allow me to attach the lens foot into my tripod head. Since their arca thing didn't fit my Really Right Stuff clamp, I had to attach a really right stuff lens plate onto the cotton carrier arca bracket thing. It's a jumbled mess and it makes the lens and camera hang too far out from my waist which makes it unstable and pulls on the attachment holster. The camera + 70-200 seems a bit heavy and bulky for this kind of setup. I don't think I trust it to hold up to bouncy hiking, but I may do further experimentation and custom mods.

I do like the general idea of the cotton carrier and the potential for attaching accessories, pouches, etc to it. I ordered a second cotton carrier just to get another side holster and the accessories, since it was cheaper to buy the whole setup than individual pieces. I added the second holster to the first carrier belt, so there is one on each side. Then I rigged a custom attachment for my bear spray and put that on one side. So I have a very stable and solid attachment for the bear spray which does not swing or move at all, yet is easy and quick to get access and use. I can grab it and have it off the belt in about two seconds, perhaps be ready to fire within 4 seconds.. I could shoot from the hip in a pinch.

Anyway, I will test more and see if I can figure out a solution to attaching the small camera/lens setup to the belt in more secure way I may need to forego using the small lens on a tripod, which would result in many missed shots. But I don't like the idea of storing it in the backpack.

Bobo,

Thanks for the advice. I was considering renting the 100-400 II for the trip. It would be about $150 for 10 days. Not too bad, and I think that focal range would get me more shots than the 70-200 would. But I'm still bringing the 500mm for sure.

I've carried the 500 in a huge backpack in the past, and it was not ideal. Aside from being too slow to set up IMO for wildlife, it also was very uncomfortable, more so than carrying the rig on a tripod over my shoulder. This was because the pack was so heavy that it was pulling backwards and straining my neck. The weight in the pack is not just the camera and lens, it is also food, water, and other misc stuff. After trying that a bunch of times, I've come to the conclusion and solution that some other professional photogs have recommended to me, which is to carrying the big rig by hand and wear a small, regular backpack for your supplies/food/water etc. This is lighter, keeps the weight closer to your body, so you are more agile, more balanced, more comfortable, and overall less hassle. Plus it is easier to crouch or crawl for low shots while still wearing the backpack.

I would actually agree with your suggestion in the case that someone might be doing a longer hike. I plan not to do a lot of strenuous or long hiking on this trip, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12