Thread: Tamron - Aspherical [IF] MACRO AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Lens

Real Name
    Ganesh Mahadevan

Tamron - Aspherical [IF] MACRO AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Lens

hello all

need advice to buy this lens. is this a good lens to buy ?

Tamron - Aspherical [IF] MACRO AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Lens

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Tamron - Aspherical [IF] MACRO AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Lens

Ganesh,

You might want to start by googling for reviews.

I don't know anything about that specific lens, but it is in the category that people often call superzooms. It has a zoom factor of 11 (that is, 200/18). that is very large. In general, the larger the zoom factor, the more compromises in optical quality. If you look at really high-end zooms, most have a zoom factor of about 3, although a few well-regarded lenses go quite a bit higher. So, in general, a superzoom is often a way to get a lot more flexibility at the cost of some decrease in quality at certain focal lengths. Which is better depends on your own uses and preferences. For example, some people would rather have lower optical quality in order to carry less weight and change lenses less often.

However, this is just for the general case. I don't know how much it applies to this lens. I would urge you to read some reviews, particularly if no one here has experience with that particular lens.

Dan

Real Name
    John

Ganesh - A broad question like this is hard to answer because it depends on your intended use and expectations. What is acceptable to one person may not be to the next.

I have not used that lens but have used the 18-270 f/3.5-5.6 on a D7000 when traveling. IMO, it produces acceptable photos and fits my need when I want to travel light and am taking general travel and family photos. The lens is quite sharp at the wider focal lengths and gets soft at the long end unless stopped down to f/8 or beyond. There are many people using this lens and love it and then there are lots of people who wouldn't touch it. I would expect the 18-200 will give you similar results.

I'm not sure how much help this is because you are the only one who can really answer this question after you have tried the lens. I suggest that you find some way to try the lens out and then decide if the results are what you are looking for. In general, Tamron makes good lenses and have an excellent warranty and good service.

John

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Ganesh,

Also - you haven't told us is what camera you intend to use it on?
    (now and perhaps in future).

This is relevant because if I understand Tamron's web page, it will not cover a full frame sensor.

I quote: "Please note that Di II lenses are made for the exclusive use on digital SLR cameras with image sensors smaller than 24mm x 16mm. Di II lenses cannot be used together with a full format or 35mm SLR camera, as their image sensors are not able to cover the entire area of full format resulting in dark corners of the (i.e. vignetting becomes noticeable)."

It will really only be usable on Nikon DX or Canon APS-C bodies.

Further more, if you are considering an old second hand version with some Nikon models, this may be relevant: "Please note: The 18-200mm became available with a built-in motor for the Nikon D40, D40X and D60 (Model A14NII) from March 2008. The A14N model which had been available up until March 2008 is only compatible with the D40/D40X/D60 in the MF mode due to the fact it doesn´t have a built-in motor."

Hope that helps, Dave

Real Name
    Richard

As has been aptly stated above... whether this is a "good lens for you to buy" depends on what you plan to do with the lens and your personal feelings about the quality that you want from your lens.

Most lenses with a very wide focal range such as this are fun to use since you normally don't need to carry any other lenses or to switch lenses.

However the image quality from most of these lenses is not quite as high as some of the more expensive zooms with a shorter focal range such as the 70-200mm lenses from Canon or Nikon. Additionally, these lenses have a variable aperture which means that at the longer focal lengths, the aperture is smaller. The problem with this is that for hand holding, you need the fastest shutter speeds at the longest focal lengths.

However, a point in favor or this type of lens is that the price is usually less than buying several lenses to cover the entire focal range.

In a nutshell, is this a "good lens to buy"? For me no! For other photographers, very possibly...

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Ganesh Mahadevan View Post
    need advice to buy this lens. is this a good lens to buy ?

Ganesh, I think it's all been said already and comes down to what you mean by good.

I used an 18-200mm (although not Tamron) for years, I loved it's versatility and its IQ was acceptable to me for what I did. Unless you can actually find someone who has this specific lens here you are not going to get anything other than generalities as to what it can achieve. Also what it can achieve depends very much upon the user as well.

As an idea of what it can produce here's a link to many shots taken with one. From what I see, and I did not look at all the images, I saw nothing that suggests that in the hands of a good photographer it could not turn out a decent shot but your idea of decent may be different to mine.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/triniw...7617342457764/
    Last edited by Stagecoach; 8th March 2015 at 02:57 AM.

Real Name
    Richard

One additional comment... This lens should be fine for posting on the internet, emailing and for printing up to 8x10 inch prints.

Real Name
    Ganesh Mahadevan

thanks all for your inputs and for the useful links

@Dave - i will have to use it on Canon 650D

Real Name
    Michael

I have this lens in the pentax version and it is an outstanding lens on my Pentax K-50. It is sharp though out its entire range. Color, contrast, are excellent, and boketh is good but not great. The lens focus is spot on and quick in good light but can hunt some during dark conditions. I have used a couple of other lens in this zoom range but did not care for any of them. I also sold my 18-55 WR Pentax lens and my 50-200 WR lens. This is the only zoom I currently own and shoot. I don't know how the tamron would work with you camera but that is your decision to make and I wish you well.

Mike

Real Name
    Richard

One more entry... I shoot with a 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and a 70-200mm f/4L IS on a pair of Canon 7D cameras.

I can say one thing about the 18-200mm focal range on a 1.6x camera... I shoot 90-95 % of my imagery within tis focal range and could easily shoot all of my imagery in that range...

Sure, my lenses are different but, what I am talking about is the focal range which is all most people might need except for macro, long range wildlife and some sports applications...