Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D7200 Officially Announced(link)

Real Name
    Dan

D7200 Officially Announced(link)

Well, they fixed the one issue that I had with the 7100, i.e. buffer capacity. Now hold 18 RAW images vs. 6 in the 7100. Enhanced the AF system, left out the AA filter again(good thing). Other than that, not much different.

Link to the official announcement:

http://www.nikon.com/news/2015/0302_dslr_01.htm

Real Name
    Dan

Re: D7200 Officially Announced(link)

And below is the link to the 7100/7200 features comparison. They are claiming a 2-stop improvement in ISO performance They also added Auto ISO when shooting in manual mode and the group AF mode like in the current gen of FX bodies.

http://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/en_INC/o/...n_Sheet_en.pdf

Real Name
    Grahame

Lets hope it appears here eventually in the one shop that presently holds a very small stock of 7100s and at a ridiculous price.

It would be a good option if my present camera fell over.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    They also added Auto ISO when shooting in manual mode
    To clarify that, that's referring to shooting video. Auto ISO has always been available in the D7xxx models when using the manual mode to shoot still photography. I think it was available in that circumstance in models that predated the D7xxx series years earlier.

Real Name
    Dan

Well Nikon's QA problems on the last several camera bodies is a pretty strong deterrent to run out and buy. Which is a good thing to give a bit of time to see what they will come out with next. They've established a pretty transparent strategy of holding back tech and adding just enough new features to tempt existing users to upgrade while appearing to be putting out state of the art for new buyers. Crafty devils.

Real Name
    Nick

Well, it looks like there are some nice features in the new version, and I'm surprised how affordable the first prices are on this, it's about what the 7100 is/was still going for. It's not very clear what the new ISO improvements are, but the expanded buffer was a good idea. I'm not planning to buy one now though.

Real Name
    John

I'm scratching my head about what this statement might mean

An optical viewfinder with approximately 100% frame coverage, and for which an OLED has been adopted at the bottom of the viewfinder
    Suppose it really means the rear screen.

Just thought - it probably means an info screen in the viewfinder to try and catch up with mirrorless.

John
    -

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Nicks Pics View Post
    ...It's not very clear what the new ISO improvements are, but the expanded buffer was a good idea. I'm not planning to buy one now though.
    ISO claims vs reality are never clear until one takes the camera in the field. Waiting for test data from one of the review sites is better than nothing. But the manufacturers claims are indeed hard to decipher. For some of us the buffer was even more of an Achilles heel than ISO performance. After all, ISO performance of the 7100 is superior to the D300 which many still love.

If I can sell my 7100 for enough to make it a reasonable "trade-up" cost I'll likely do it. Unless the promised D7mkII equivalent is announced prior to my getting around to it. One or the other should be my LAST Nikon camera body barring revolutionary changes. that's my story and i'm sticking to it...

Did anyone read the small print for the raw capture?

When a 16-GB SanDisk SDHC UHS-I memory card (SDSDXPA-016G-J35) is used, and a ISO sensitivity setting of ISO 100 is applied.

Is this only at ISO 100?

Also An NFC-compatible*1 Wi-Fi® function*2 that enables image transfer and remote shooting with smart-device collaboration (NFC support)

*1Supported only by the Android™ OS. Connection may be difficult to establish depending upon the smart device used or environmental conditions. In such situations, use normal means to establish a Wi-Fi connection.

*2The Wireless Mobile Utility app must be installed on the smart device before the Wi-Fi function can be used (the app can be downloaded free of charge from the smart device's app store).

Does not sound very convincing as a sales technique.

Just looked at the Specs page on Nikon's site and found this. please draw your own conclusion,

Release modes S (single frame), CL (continuous low speed), CH (continuous high speed), Q (quiet shutter-release), Self-timer, MUP (mirror up)
    Approximate frame advance rate
    JPEG and 12-bit NEF (RAW) images recorded with DX (24x16) selected for image area: CL 1 to 6 fps, CH 6 fps
    JPEG and 12-bit NEF (RAW) images recorded with 1.3x (18x12) selected for image area: CL 1 to 6 fps, CH 7 fps
    14-bit NEF (RAW) images recorded with DX (24x16) selected for image area: CL 1 to 5 fps, CH 5 fps
    14-bit NEF (RAW) images recorded with 1.3x (18x12) selected for image area: CL 1 to 6 fps, CH 6 fps
    Maximum frame rate in live view is 3.7 fps
    Last edited by simie; 2nd March 2015 at 10:38 PM.

Real Name
    Nick

Unless the promised D7mkII equivalent is announced prior to my getting around to it.
    Just curious, what features would a camera need to be comparable to the D7mkII? I know that's a popular wildlife camera, but what does it have over those in the Nikon line?

A larger buffer enables capture of up to 100 shots*1 with a single burst of continuous shooting at approximately 6 fps*2. Up to eighteen 14-bit RAW (lossless compressed) images can also be captured with a single burst of continuous shooting. (at an image area setting of DX (24x16) and an image quality setting of JPEG fine) For faster continuous shooting, setting image area to 1.3x (18x12) enables shooting at approximately 7 fps. This, along with increased AF performance, ensures certain capture of the best moments.
    I must admit that this paragraph isn't very clear, if it's even properly written. I take it to mean that in DX mode the buffer can hold 18 14 bit RAW (lossless Compressed) images. The FPS rate and the buffer capacity are two different things of course. At 6 fps (DX mode) it would have the same fps rate as the D7100, but at 18 full size RAW buffer capacity it has a larger buffer than the D7100. I think I do have that particular SD card, as it was rated to be the fastest card for the D7100. It writes at a pretty impressive speed.

I am confused as to why the ISO would affect the capture speed. Maybe it does, I just hadn't heard of that before.

Real Name
    Dan

...I am confused as to why the ISO would affect the capture speed. Maybe it does, I just hadn't heard of that before.
    For those whose minds tend to favor conspiracy theories, then surely they tested a bunch of other cards and ISO settings and are quoting the best of the lot. In which case one could conclude that in fact ISO does effect fps.

An alternative view is that they only tested it at one set of conditions and stated those specific conditions due to the precise nature of how they conduct business. Based on my prior business dealings with Japanese technical people, I think they are just being precise about stating the test conditions. Each person can draw their own conclusions.

Based on my (limited) understanding ISO setting has nothing to do with processing downstream of the sensor and therefore nothing to do with frame rate nor buffer capacity. It is simply an electronic gain adjustment to the sensor circuitry.

Real Name
    Nick

Good explanation. It doesn't necessarily mean that there actually is a difference at different ISO speeds, it just suggests that there possibly could be.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

I started an earlier 7200 link here

D7200 rlease tmorrow

With this comparison chart

Well that was a total waste of time bringing THAT camera out

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/03/02/ni...mparison.aspx/

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/03/01/ni...nnounced.aspx/
    Last edited by JR1; 3rd March 2015 at 07:55 AM.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Just curious, what features would a camera need to be comparable to the D7mkII? I know that's a popular wildlife camera, but what does it have over those in the Nikon line?

I must admit that this paragraph isn't very clear, if it's even properly written. I take it to mean that in DX mode the buffer can hold 18 14 bit RAW (lossless Compressed) images. The FPS rate and the buffer capacity are two different things of course. At 6 fps (DX mode) it would have the same fps rate as the D7100, but at 18 full size RAW buffer capacity it has a larger buffer than the D7100. I think I do have that particular SD card, as it was rated to be the fastest card for the D7100. It writes at a pretty impressive speed.

I am confused as to why the ISO would affect the capture speed. Maybe it does, I just hadn't heard of that before.
    It doesn't

Real Name
    Chris

Im pretty annoyed at this tbh because i held off buying the 7100 for over a year whilst waiting for the 7200 but it it never came so about a month ago I bought the 7100 and now they have announced the 7200

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by Chri5 View Post
    Im pretty annoyed at this tbh because i held off buying the 7100 for over a year whilst waiting for the 7200 but it it never came so about a month ago I bought the 7100 and now they have announced the 7200
    Why, read the review link I posted there is no difference

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    Why, read the review link I posted there is no difference
    I see your point, there is practically no difference.

Real Name
    Dan

...there is practically no difference.
    It depends on what type of photography you do. If you shoot mostly landscape, street, use flash, or shoot jpegs, then there's not much difference. On the other hand, if you are a wildlife or sports photographer, they fixed THE biggest complaint against the 7100, buffer capacity. If the ISO performance is in fact improved by two stops, well that's pretty awesome and would put it on par or better with the D810. Third, improved AF is always a good thing.

So depending on your needs it is either a major improvement, or very little. If none of those improvements are important to you then you likely saved some money buying the 7100.

Real Name
    Barry

Stick with your D7100. In my view, for most photographers, the difference compared with the new D7200 is simply a matter of splitting hairs. The camera manufacturing industry is no different to most others. I'm also a fly-fisherman and the marketing rubbish that one reads about a company's latest rod is simply bait to catch the suckers. The same applies to software updates.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    It depends on what type of photography you do. If you shoot mostly landscape, street, use flash, or shoot jpegs, then there's not much difference. On the other hand, if you are a wildlife or sports photographer, they fixed THE biggest complaint against the 7100, buffer capacity. If the ISO performance is in fact improved by two stops, well that's pretty awesome and would put it on par or better with the D810. Third, improved AF is always a good thing.

So depending on your needs it is either a major improvement, or very little. If none of those improvements are important to you then you likely saved some money buying the 7100.
    I disagree

The main problem is that people rarely SPEND on a decent card, buy a top end extreme pro card and you will have NO problems with the D7100, unless you shoor RAW and that is out for sports. Buy a cheap £40 / £30 card and that slows the D7100 down. I shoot a LOT of sports on the 7100 and "I" have never had a problem with the JPG buffer

CHEAP card buffer clearing

FAST card

How many shots do you NEED, that is 100 see the times on the stopwatch, 18 seconds of continuous shooting, how often do you need to shoot for 18+ seconds !!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast