Thread: Hdr

Real Name
    John

Hdr

I've been hearing of HDR capable printers, anyone have issues printing HDR images with the printers they have?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Hdr

No issues whatsoever in printing HDR images on my photographic printer.

It sounds more like marketing terminology than any real life issue.

A HDR image means that the captured image is mapped into a brightness range that can be displayed on a computer screen or printed on a printer. I'm not quite sure how this would be different for a printer marketed as being able to reproduce HDR images.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    No issues whatsoever in printing HDR images on my photographic printer.

It sounds more like marketing terminology than any real life issue.

A HDR image means that the captured image is mapped into a brightness range that can be displayed on a computer screen or printed on a printer. I'm not quite sure how this would be different for a printer marketed as being able to reproduce HDR images.
    Possibly, supposedly it's available on Epson 4900 and higher printers, a few Canon models, and I assume hp. Based on what I've heard it's achieved through additional ink colors, the Epson 4900 uses eleven cartridges. Additionally, it is used specifically for graphic arts and industrial printing, however the video explained that in the graphics art field quality (more graininess) is sacrificed for speed and flexibility, and saturation. The inkjet version supposedly combines quality and all the other benefits.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Could be John; I've used my 9-ink cartridge Epson 3880 to print HDR images; the 4900 adds an orange and green cartridge to the mix; the other inks seem to be the same as on the 3880. I can't say I've compared the output of the two printers, though.

Regardless, the HDR process effectively compresses the wide exposure range captures into a viewable, printable colour range, so I still can't understand how a specific printer (once you look at the pro colour printers) is going to make a lot of difference in image quality for an HDR versus regular print.

I smell marketing double-speak...

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Could be John; I've used my 9-ink cartridge Epson 3880 to print HDR images; the 4900 adds an orange and green cartridge to the mix; the other inks seem to be the same as on the 3880. I can't say I've compared the output of the two printers, though.

Regardless, the HDR process effectively compresses the wide exposure range captures into a viewable, printable colour range, so I still can't understand how a specific printer (once you look at the pro colour printers) is going to make a lot of difference in image quality for an HDR versus regular print.

I smell marketing double-speak...
    I happen to have the Epson Product Line and Media guide and the ULTRACHROME HDR INK (caps used to emphasize double-speak) are considered the latest generation of pigment ink technology. I've seen large print samples of the output and still viewer distance from image is very important.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I suspect that they are not looking at the same definition of HDR; but rather another gimmicky name for the ink set.

The inks I use in my printer are referred to as UltraChrome K3; and in the Epson marketing literature they specifically refer to these 9-inks. Add the two additional cartridges and they call it UltraChrome HDR?

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/L...raChromeK3.jsp

I suspect it has nothing to do with printing HDR images.

Real Name
    Allan Short

It has to do with the ink sets for the Epson 4900 I have one, as a feature they list as John states Ultrachrome HDR Ink, seven colours plus light light Bk, and light BK along with a Matt BK and a Photo BK. With the print head and drivers on the 4900 is can produce some just stunning images.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    It has to do with the ink sets for the Epson 4900 I have one, as a feature they list as John states Ultrachrome HDR Ink, seven colours plus light light Bk, and light BK along with a Matt BK and a Photo BK. With the print head and drivers on the 4900 is can produce some just stunning images.

I'm sure specific papers have a lot to do with the stunning images, luster does wonders with B & W images, gloss with colors, I'm not a big fan of Matte. I'm sure there are certain images that work well with Matte.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The light light Bk, and light BK along with a Matt BK and a Photo BK are found on the other Epson photo printers like the 3800, 3880, 4800, etc. They also have yellow, cyan. light cyan, magenta and light magenta cartridges.

I've always wondered about Light BK (in my view, gray) and Light Light BK (in my view, light gray). Light black somehow seems to go against any definition of black that I've ever seen...

Real Name
    Allan Short

The Epson 4900 has orange and green as two of the colours. John as I print images, the choice of paper that is used is very important as you know. I do use Epson Luster, love the Epson Exhibition Fibre along with the Hahneuhle Photo Rag 308gm which just gives me the look I am after when printing B&W images.