Thread: My daughter

Real Name
    Chris

My daughter

I took This photo last year on my old D3200. It was an overcast day so I had my back to our rear doors and had my daughter look at me to get the catch light. I decided that Id try f1.8 on my 35mm so I could get a nice soft image around the eyes. What do you all think? Any C&C welcome

35mm prime lens
    F1.8
    shutter speed unknown
    ISO unknown...100 I think!

My daughter

Real Name
    Dean

Re: My daughter

Chris,
    Wonderful shot, the eyes draw you into their depths.

Real Name
    António Correia

Great.
    If you stare a bit it looks like she is really looking at you !
    With a 35 mm prime in a crop factor camera of 1.6 (perhaps) means 56mm ! Well done.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Interesting shot, Chris. I don't think it works for me

Generally face shots should include the mouth (as well as the eyes and nose). While this rule can sometimes be broken; I don't think it works here. Strangely enough, I played around in LightBox and the eyes alone (without the nose) do seem to work. I think going completely monochrome would have been better as well; the coloured eyes with the rest of the face as monochrome looks spooky / freaky rather than adding something interesting to the image; but again, get rid of the nose and it works better for me.

I think you have the material for an interesting shot; if you play around with the crop some more, I think you could strengthen this image some more.

Real Name
    Chris

Thanks Deano1 much appreciated.

Thank you as well Antonio I get that feeling every time I look at the photo as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Interesting shot, Chris. I don't think it works for me

Generally face shots should include the mouth (as well as the eyes and nose). While this rule can sometimes be broken; I don't think it works here. Strangely enough, I played around in LightBox and the eyes alone (without the nose) do seem to work. I think going completely monochrome would have been better as well; the coloured eyes with the rest of the face as monochrome looks spooky / freaky rather than adding something interesting to the image; but again, get rid of the nose and it works better for me.

I think you have the material for an interesting shot; if you play around with the crop some more, I think you could strengthen this image some more.
    Grumpydiver. Thank you for the informative input and I see what you mean. The nose does kind of make it a tad freaky. The reason I left the eyes in colour was just for a little creativity for my own print especially now that my daughter has become a little drama queen who wont let me take her picture. I was hoping to print this one for the house but alas... The hard drive that both the original and saved photograph is on was dropped and now I cant access it to do any edits. I cant even print this version. I had to strip this one from my Facebook page. I will leave the hard drive into the shop to see if it can be repaired. Please God let it be fixable... My whole portfolio is on that drive.
    Last edited by Chri5; 27th February 2015 at 09:10 PM.

Real Name
    John

Nice capture, very crisp conversion.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Chri5 View Post
    The nose does kind of make it a tad freaky.
    True, but that characteristic complements the freaky eyes -- freaky because they are the only part of the image in color and, thus, are so mesmerizing. If you change them to monochrome, I would then vote for eliminating the nose.

My whole portfolio is on that drive.
    With no backups on a different drive? I just wrote this morning in another thread about the danger of not having backups.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    True, but that characteristic complements the freaky eyes -- freaky because they are the only part of the image in color and, thus, are so mesmerizing. If you change them to monochrome, I would then vote for eliminating the nose.

With no backups on a different drive? I just wrote this morning in another thread about the danger of not having backups.
    Thanks Mike.

I know, I was absolutely gutted when my drive hit the ground. Lesson learned.

Real Name
    Peter Phun

There is an outside chance you might find the memory card and recover it from there. It's a SUPER, SUPER long shot. Image recovery software used to be free with SanDisk. Not sure now. Even though formatted and erased, I've found images that way. If you can find the software for free, why not run your memory cards through it? As I said, a long shot. I've only tried San Disk, there may be others. I think this link is to a free trial. Good luck Chris

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by pixel pete View Post
    There is an outside chance you might find the memory card and recover it from there. It's a SUPER, SUPER long shot. Image recovery software used to be free with SanDisk. Not sure now. Even though formatted and erased, I've found images that way. If you can find the software for free, why not run your memory cards through it? As I said, a long shot. I've only tried San Disk, there may be others. I think this link is to a free trial. Good luck Chris
    I think the free trial puts a watermark on the images.

Real Name
    Peter Phun

at least take a look and see if the image is even on the card during the recovery. If it is, I would then say it's worth the purchase and you can buy it and the watermark will be gone

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by pixel pete View Post
    at least take a look and see if the image is even on the card during the recovery. If it is, I would then say it's worth the purchase and you can buy it and the watermark will be gone
    It's a good program, I've had to use it twice. Only concern is that if card has been formatted some of the latest files might have been overwritten. I've had files recovered from four years ago and only a few GBs of recent files.

Real Name
    Peter Phun

I wouldn't live and die by these recovery software applications but it would be a 'Hail Mary' as they say