Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tethered photography

Real Name
    wm c boyer

tethered photography

I got into shooting tethered when I started my table top stuff, to the point that I do it all the time.

The advantages of real-time feedback of alternative camera settings inputted by the computer,
    focus points, lighting, composition, etc. tells me that there is no better method.

Granted that the initial reason is that Canon includes the software with their cameras.
    Regardless, I can't conceive of not using the tethered technique. Am I alone here?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: tethered photography

I tether at times for studio type shots when shooting inanimate objects. The issue with tethering is that there is an extra cable to trip over in a room with subdued light (just guess how I figured that one out; fortunately both my laptop and camera survived; thank you Tethertools).

I personally find that it works when I am trying something new and I am tuning my technique, but once I've nailed it, shooting tethered is more of a bother than anything else. It's just like triggering my studio lights with a synch cable; just another tripping hazard in the room; I converted to radio triggers a long time ago for that very reason. Often the CamRanger and iPad are actually a better solution for me (low res jpegs are transmitted to the iPad or Android Tablet and RAW files are stored on the camera's memory card; far faster than the RF memory card solutions).

When shooting people, it is a real hindrance because the subject wants to see the shots and it breaks the flow during shooting.

So, like many other tools in photography, there can be reasons to shoot tethered, but probably more reasons not to. I suspect, based on conversations I've had with other photographers, very few of them ever shoot tethered, even though the cost of doing so is quite low (anyone who has Lightroom can do so, and a long USB cable is the only other accessory that is required).
    Last edited by Manfred M; 27th February 2015 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Added - Tethertools and CamRanger workflow explanation

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Tethering has it's limitations depending on your photography, I use Camranger

Real Name
    Peter Phun

I agree with Manfred and Jeremy about how tethering can be a big hindrance. I ruined a mini-usb port on one of my cameras because the usb cable bent a pin inside the camera body. Too expensive to repair, so be very careful when attaching and re-attaching cable.Tethering is probably only useful for demonstrations and instances when the photographer has been reduced to button pusher and there is an artistic director needing to give their 2 cents worth of opinion. I use it when I teach but when I am with a client and shooting I don't even like to show a capture unless I feel the subject needs some reassurance that they are doing well in front of the camera.

Real Name
    Lennart Elg

I use tethering (Control my Nikon) all the time while copying old slides and prints - I can judge both field of view, exposure and focus much better on my computer screen than standing crouched over my copy stand.. And the files are saved directly to my computer. However, for other uses (studio or in the field) I would want a wireless solution, which talks to my iPad - portable, but big enough screen to judge the image, and no wires to get tangled up in (or literally reaching the end of my tether..).
    Lennart Elg, Sweden

Real Name
    wm c boyer

I tried the CamRanger but couldn't get it to work with my windows desktop, don't have another option,
    did like the motorized head idea. Did use it to pre-adjust lighting on kid's teen dance shots at home,
    then disconnected the cables as they tend to be clumsy.

Stockholm, Sweden (and sometimes Santiago de Cuba)
    Real Name
    Urban Domeij

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    I got into shooting tethered when I started my table top stuff, to the point that I do it all the time.

The advantages of real-time feedback of alternative camera settings inputted by the computer,
    focus points, lighting, composition, etc. tells me that there is no better method.

Granted that the initial reason is that Canon includes the software with their cameras.
    Regardless, I can't conceive of not using the tethered technique. Am I alone here?
    I do agree, although I got very disappointed with the Canon software for tethered shooting when I tried it first. Never more a Canon.

However, untethered with touchscreen is very nice. Samsung has done it for years now, and their NX1 is superb for untethered shooting. Software included.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

I tried the CamRanger but couldn't get it to work with my windows desktop, don't have another option,
    did like the motorized head idea. Did use it to pre-adjust lighting on kid's teen dance shots at home,
    Windows, !

Use the Android ap, I find it much better on my Tablet, hard to carry a desktop in the field, even a laptop

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I've had no issues at all on Windows (laptop - Windows 8.1), Android or iPad with CamRanger. I have no idea why you would have had issues with Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkanyezi View Post
    However, untethered with touchscreen is very nice. Samsung has done it for years now, and their NX1 is superb for untethered shooting. Software included.
    Panasonic does it too; it is built in to my GX7 and the Android and iPad apps perform flawlessly; there is no Window interface available. It just isn't functionality I need with it as the Panny is my light weight camera that I sometimes travel / hike with.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 27th February 2015 at 07:42 PM.

Real Name
    James Edwards

I use tethering when stacking macro shots. (Fungi in particular). I use an android Nexus 7 tablet with helicon remote. Tend not to consider it for other types off shoot since I've tangled myself too!

Real Name
    Yes

Dslr controller which we have discussed before is much cheaper - only for Canon and Android, try it tethered with a USB cable - it consts very little (£5.94) so not much to lose if it doesn't work for you.
    If this works then you can consider using wifi with it, either with inbuilt wifi or firmwear is provided to use a wireless router to add wifi to the camera.

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

I shoot tethered under these conditions:

Camera on a tripod and tethered in the studio.

Camera on a tripod and tethered on the laptop if not in the studio. Great for macros.

Also great for other things that stand still - like glass, that may require dozens of micro-adjustments...

Instant gratification. Love shooting tethered.

Posed shots like some studio shots where a tripod can be used are ideal for tethered shooting. I review after shooting is done if the person would like.

For me, tethered does NOT work as well if I hand hold the camera. Lols.

Marie

Real Name
    Terry

I get that in some of the instances mentioned (which seem to be portraiture) tethering could be considered a distraction.

And maybe there are more reasons not to shoot tethered when shooting studio portraiture. I guess that would depend on the individual photographer, who the client/creative team is (if any), and who is on-set.

But as much as tethering might be considered limiting or distracting in some photography, it is considered essential in other types.

It would be in the range of extremely difficult to nigh on impossible to shoot what I like to shoot, and by myself, without it.

Real Name
    Dan

I've recently started shooting tethered for some table-top macro work, just to use Helicon Remote to adjust the focusing steps for stacking (which seems to work fine now that I figured out how much I had to change its default calculations of steps). However, I find it a pain and doubt I will do it even for all of my stacking, let alone for other purposes. Just my personal preferences.

Real Name
    Max

loosecanon, what is this DSLR controller? Sounds potentially useful.

I also shoot tabletop and want to tried tethered shooting to avoid that moment of setting everything up, taking the shot, getting it into the computer and seeing that bit of something out of place that I didn't notice when shooting. I have taken to leaving everything out whilst I process, just in case I need to reshoot. As I shoot in the evening, when everyone has gone to bed and I have the sitting room to myself, this means creeping around, packing stuff into cupboards at midnight. Yeah, I could live without that.

So, yes, tethering sounds like the way to go. However, I am pretty damned clumsy (the number of lamps I have got through) and would definitely trip over the additional cable. Sounds as though there is a way to go wireless. Any more info on that?

Stockholm, Sweden (and sometimes Santiago de Cuba)
    Real Name
    Urban Domeij

Quote Originally Posted by Max von MeiselMaus View Post
    So, yes, tethering sounds like the way to go. However, I am pretty damned clumsy (the number of lamps I have got through) and would definitely trip over the additional cable. Sounds as though there is a way to go wireless. Any more info on that?
    Untethered, where Samsung is the pioneer, has many followers. The cameras have a standardised interface, IEEE 802.11 (WiFi®) and are available from for example Fujifilm, Sony and Olympus as well. There might even be some recent model from the two big.

When shooting untethered, you have the image on a computer screen, tablet or smartphone and adjust all camera settings from there.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Max, here is http://dslrcontroller.com/
    As a side note, your Canon comes with a Utility Software that functions/tethers with a Windows OS,
    it's what I use, whereas most of the other ones rely on an Android OS.

Real Name
    Max

Thanks all. My next challenge.

ETA: Stole Number One Daughter's tablet, downloaded app, all ready to go
    Last edited by Max von MeiselMaus; 2nd March 2015 at 05:00 PM.

Real Name
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Max von MeiselMaus View Post
    loosecanon, what is this DSLR controller? Sounds potentially useful.

I also shoot tabletop and want to tried tethered shooting to avoid that moment of setting everything up, taking the shot, getting it into the computer and seeing that bit of something out of place that I didn't notice when shooting. I have taken to leaving everything out whilst I process, just in case I need to reshoot. As I shoot in the evening, when everyone has gone to bed and I have the sitting room to myself, this means creeping around, packing stuff into cupboards at midnight. Yeah, I could live without that.

Just Google Dslr controller - they have all the information you need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast