Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Camassia

Camassia

From the garden. All images are stacked with Helicon. Both shot with canon 50D and Sigma 105mm macro lens. f/13, 1/125s, studio lights. The white backdrop is an A1 size piece of art-board. The studio light was in front, and the backlight came from daylight in a north-facing window.

Camassia

This is a close-up of just one of the flowers, which are about 1inch across.

Camassia

And this one is a 150% blow-up of the central area of shot #1 to show the detail.

Camassia

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Camassia

Hi Rob,

These are what I'd call "reference text book" quality, meaning you should get someone to write a book (on plants obviously) and you can do the photos.

Great work,

Real Name
    Rick

These are fantastic, Rob! Dave's right, they're at least textbook quality, or better. Since your wife is a botanist, maybe you can collaborate on it.

Cheers,
    Rick

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Beautiful! The non-distracting background really helps.

Chuck

beautiful shots!

Real Name
    Wendy

WOW!! Not only textbook quality, beautiful works of art.

I agree with others' opinions: these are very nice images. I am a bit surprised that the technique behind these images seems quite simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Yan Zhang View Post
    I agree with others' opinions: these are very nice images. I am a bit surprised that the technique behind these images seems quite simple.
    The technique is really quite simple. Flowers are transluscent, especially the petal areas, so by putting a light behind them as well as one in front you get a more detailed view. It can also produce a very ethereal look, as it has done here. These shots were extremely easy to do, I just put the flower in water in a small vase and stood it on a white card with the window behind (north-facing is better). The front was lit by just one closely positioned studio light with a large soft-box which made the light very soft and diffuse. The principle here is the same as I did in this shot Improvisation on a hot sunny day which was shot outdoors - light in front and behind. The only tricky part is getting the light balanced so it looks good overall. I normally use a light meter for the studio light, but you could do it by trial and error in a few shots to get it right.

Camassia

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Rob,

These are what I'd call "reference text book" quality, meaning you should get someone to write a book (on plants obviously) and you can do the photos.

Great work,

I thought they didn't actually look like photographs - more like painted images. I think it's the quality and nature of the light doing that.

Thanks for the thought, but I think Clive Nicols has it stitched up (he does most of the flashy mag shots for the RHS etc) http://www.clivenichols.com/