Thread: Most popular form of image upload?

Real Name
    Chris

Most popular form of image upload?

Hi,

I am just wondering what is the most popular form of image upload? I used to upload to other sites via photobucket and flikr but as im sure you are all aware the re-rendering of images in both those sites seem to hurt our images.

I was reading the how to post images here thread, does anyone have any advice on this?

Real Name
    Dave

Re: Most popular form of image upload?

Hi and welcome.

In common with most here, I think, I use Tinypic. Resize to 1200 on the long side, and upload. Works pretty well and doesn't change the image. Sometimes the dialogue doesn't work, no-one seems to know why, in which case click the "Go Advanced" button and do it from there.

For other sites, I link from my Smugmug account.

Cheers,

Dave

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Welcome to CiC, Chris.

CiC does not host image files per se, but people link to the sites where they host their work. As Dave has mentioned, Tinypic is popular and other sites are used as well. I personally have all the images that I show here as jpegs stored on Flickr.

Real Name
    Brian Grant

I upload to albums on this site and it provides me a link that can be cut and pasted into a post. For example: this is from an album at https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/fo...p?albumid=3444

Most popular form of image upload?

Real Name
    Dan

I just put in links to my images on Smugmug, selecting the "Xlarge" link. Seems to work flawlessly, although I think this site is resizing and that I could use a link to a smaller size.

Real Name
    Dan

Similar to DanK, I simply link to images hosted on my Zenfolio or pBase sites. Zen has a "share" function that provides http addresses for various sizes of the photo. For pBase you simply copy the http address of the screen you're in when viewing the photo.

As well as I can figure out, the image displayed directly in the thread/post in CIC is not resized if the linked version is smaller than 720px or so on the long side. Larger than that and it needs to be viewed in the light box to avoid resizing. There is also a cuttoff in the light box above which the viewer needs to click the "actual size" mode to avoid resizing. Not sure exactly what thos limits are, someone else can speak to that.
    Last edited by NorthernFocus; 25th February 2015 at 07:19 PM.

Tinypics or P base linking for me.

You may find this thread interesting

HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?

Also this one for different sharing sites used by CinC members

Photo sharing websites...
    Last edited by Geoff F; 25th February 2015 at 08:04 PM. Reason: links added

Real Name
    Chris

Thanks very much everyone. You have been very helpful. I will give it a go now.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Chris,

I'm another PBase using member, minimal cost per year and I link here to the 'original' (web sized) images I upload there, when they are my own shots.

If I have edited another CiC member's shot, to demonstrate something, or also to display screen grabs, I use TinyPic or the albums here at CiC.

One advantage of PBase over most of the other websites is that if I re-organise my galleries/albums there, it doesn't break the image url linked to here. Whereas with Flickr (and many others), that seems to be a common problem.

You can determine whether it might be (for any hosting site) by examining the url of an image and noting whether it contains anything that relates to the album it is in (e.g. the name or a reference number).

Cheers, Dave