Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When do you draw the limit on flipping an image?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: When do you draw the limit on flipping an image?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    does it matter what is done to a photograph so long as it isn't actually misleading a person into buying.
    That's a good point because it suggests such a strongly practical approach to the issue. Nobody would ever be disappointed or would feel deceived upon visiting Maya Bay as a result of having seen the photo in the advertisement.

However, considering the relatively vast resources of Citibank, the advertiser, it would have been so easy to present a similarly enticing photo that didn't switch the positions of the mountains.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 19th February 2015 at 03:51 PM.

Real Name
    Brian Grant

Oh, flippin' heck.

To quote Chuck Berry, "Sometimes I do, then again I think I don't."

If I name a place I won't flip it but will flip almost anything for compositional purpose if I'm preparing a shot for display.

I certainly wouldn't flip a portrait of anyone because most of us have asymmetric faces and it looks weird to anyone who knows the person.

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    That's a good point because it suggests such a strongly practical approach to the issue. Nobody would ever be disappointed or would feel deceived upon visiting Maya Bay as a result of having seen the photo in the advertisement.

However, considering the relatively vast resources of Citibank, the advertiser, it would have been so easy to present a similarly enticing photo that didn't switch the positions of the mountains.
    That is a very good point.....but one still has to ask - does it ultimately matter?

Hard to define - I'm not sure it does as the photograph isn't always the defining factor its just apart of the overall advert. Is every bit of the wording, the message and the advert itself absolutely true or are they all a manipulation of facts to entice?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    does it ultimately matter?
    Like everything in life, there are degrees of what matters. It matters a little to me in this particular situation but certainly not a lot. That explains why I started the thread -- to learn when others draw the line at flipping an image.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Mike,

Personally, I wouldn't flip an image that is intended to be documentary image. I think I feel this way because most of us are influenced by advertising and if I happen to be dreaming about visiting a certain place the images I see while researching the area, may create high expectations. So although I might know that the ocean waters are likely not as blue as presented, if I were to visit and see a totally different scene than expected I would be disappointed.

If I were of the mind to create an obviously surreal and artistic/fantasy rendition of the scene (if I had the PP skill to do so) than yes I would flip the image. I just tried flipping one of my mountain scenery scenes and it is quite interesting, looks totally different. The lines of the mountains look perfectly beautiful but the mountain peaks look very odd.

All that said if the image is presented in a magazine as part of an advertisement it may be that the editor of the magazine flipped the image to suit the layout. (not the photographer)

Quote Originally Posted by Brownbear View Post
    it may be that the editor of the magazine flipped the image to suit the layout. (not the photographer)
    I think that's likely in this case except that it probably would have been the art director involved with the advertisement making the decision to flip the image to enhance the layout. The image prominently displays a long-tail boat in the foreground. In the flipped image, the shape of the boat acts as leading lines that lead the eye to the image of the credit card being advertised. If the image was not flipped, those leading lines would distract the viewer's eye away from the credit card.

Prior to about ten years ago, magazines routinely produced their images from color slides. Some slide mounts made it difficult to determine which side was the proper side to face up. When working fast, it was easy to accidentally flip the image. I remember one photo magazine a long time ago issuing an apology for doing that. I doubt that an accidental flipping of the image occurred in the advertisement being discussed in the thread, but that's always a possibility.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 20th February 2015 at 03:52 PM.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    While it is not a practice I generally use, I have done a certain amount of "flipping" in photocomposites for compositional reasons.

I personally don't care one way or the other, but find it a bit amusing when the flip is obvious; backwards print, clocks are backwards. cars are driving on the wrong side of the road, etc.
    Of course it's a matter conjecture as to what is the 'wrong' side of the road! Lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12