Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Rainy day output

  1. #1

    Rainy day output

    A rainy day yesterday, so I had an indoor macro session.

    #1 Cacti - eight shots stacked in Helicon
    Rainy day output

    #2 Cowslip - five shots stacked in Helicon
    Rainy day output

    #3 Cacti - seven shots stacked in Helicon

    Rainy day output

    #4 100% blow-up of section on shot #3 above to show the detail. You can see how accurate Helicon is in stacking and blending images

    Rainy day output
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 9th May 2010 at 09:27 PM.

  2. #2
    Klickit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In a bus somewhere in New Zealand
    Posts
    796
    Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

    Re: Rainy day output

    Rob, can you tell me what lens you use for this please? I use a Tamron 90mm macro and would like to be able to do this stacking thing. However, when I take a series of pix, gradually adjusting focus through the subject, I get a slightly differently framed image each time. I think this is due to the way the Tamron works, but maybe I'm missing something in my technique?
    BTW - great, sharp images. I particularly like the primroses with that lovely blue, and the cacti.

  3. #3
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,064
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Rainy day output

    Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    ~ However, when I take a series of pix, gradually adjusting focus through the subject, I get a slightly differently framed image each time. ~
    I know what you mean, the alternative being to leave focus alone and move the camera forward say, a millimeter at a time. The result will be the same though; slightly different sized images, so perhaps Helicon just takes that in its stride?

    I'm definitely going to have to give it a try though - it might finally get me to use a tripod for macro as I doubt it would cope with my differently framed (and even differently angled) shots from handheld shooting

  4. #4

    Re: Rainy day output

    Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    Rob, can you tell me what lens you use for this please? I use a Tamron 90mm macro and would like to be able to do this stacking thing. However, when I take a series of pix, gradually adjusting focus through the subject, I get a slightly differently framed image each time. I think this is due to the way the Tamron works, but maybe I'm missing something in my technique?
    BTW - great, sharp images. I particularly like the primroses with that lovely blue, and the cacti.
    I use a Sigma 105mm macro lens, and I have also used my Canon 50mm f/1.8mm with extension tube on, but mostly the Sigma. I used to occasionally get mismatches as you describe, but not recently. This may be down to one of two things.

    a) I have the latest version of helicon Pro (5.1 - released 9th April 2010) I think the latest version is important as they are continually making improvements,

    b) Recently I have been shooting a lot in either bright light outdoors, or indoors, where I have used studio flash. These situations allow you to shoot around f/22, which gives a greater DOF. I would have thought that might cause more problems, not less as the difference between shots might be greater, but it seems to work. I use method B in Helicon for the stacking. I think it's supposed to be slightly more accurate than method A.

    Don't have any knowledge of the Tamron, so can't help there. But I can't see why it shouldn't work OK. I got an electronic timer last week which can also be used as a remote cable release. It feels a lot more stable using the release - I just have my left hand making micro adjustments manually to the lens. Get into a very comfortable position before you start shooting, and try not to breath.

    Shot #3 above had a DOF of about 2 inches on the spines, but as you can see it seems to have coped well with it.

    http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfocus.html

  5. #5
    Klickit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In a bus somewhere in New Zealand
    Posts
    796
    Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

    Re: Rainy day output

    From what I can recall, Helicon is a pay for app, but there is also one - which I haven't yet tried - for free, called CombineZM.
    http://www.wonderfulphotos.com/artic...ocus_stacking/
    Here's a bit of a blurb with examples.

  6. #6

    Re: Rainy day output

    Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    From what I can recall, Helicon is a pay for app, but there is also one - which I haven't yet tried - for free, called CombineZM.
    http://www.wonderfulphotos.com/artic...ocus_stacking/
    Here's a bit of a blurb with examples.
    I haven't tried Combine ZM. Next time I do a stack I'll try both in tandem to see how they stack up.

  7. #7
    Klickit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In a bus somewhere in New Zealand
    Posts
    796
    Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

    Re: Rainy day output

    Thanks for your detailed work method, Rob. I haven't tried shooting at such a dof before, so will give that a crack.

    "Try not to breath."
    Hah! Maybe that's the answer.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    1,015
    Real Name
    Rick

    Re: Rainy day output

    Great shots, Rob: #3 looks like something alien, and amazingly sharp.

    Cheers,
    Rick

  9. #9

    Re: Rainy day output

    Quote Originally Posted by rick55 View Post
    Great shots, Rob: #3 looks like something alien, and amazingly sharp.

    Cheers,
    Rick
    Thanks, Rick. #3 is at least 100%. I think it's amazing how well Helicon performs. A very good bit of software, when you consider there are seven shots merged together there.

    EDIT: Keep meaning to try helicon with a landscape - needs to be something fairly static though. Buildings might be good.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •