Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nikon, no way to run a business...

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Nikon, no way to run a business...

As I said earlier in the thread, until this particular situation, I've never had to get a piece of Nikon gear serviced. However, now that I'm aware of this issue, one thing that will definitely change in my attitude towards them. I'll never buy another piece of high end gear and pay new, retail, USA prices. One expects the guarantee that comes with purchasing new to be worth the price premium. But once ones eyes are opened and it is clearly every man watch out for his own dollar... well, that's a different set of rules. Henceforth I can assure you than the used and grey markets become much more attractive options.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    . . . I can assure you than the used and grey markets become much more attractive options. . . .
    I guess that action doesn't hurt 'Nikon' but rather just 'Nikon USA'.

I assume that those are two different entities?

This has turned into a well articulated and even-handed Editorial Commentary.

I wonder if anyone from Nikon (USA) is paying attention ?

WW

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I'll never buy another piece of high end gear and pay new, retail, USA prices. One expects the guarantee that comes with purchasing new to be worth the price premium.
    Especially for a lens that is this expensive, I would want the 5-year warranty that comes with it in America. I've got some great used lenses but none of them come close to being anywhere near that expensive.

I wonder if you have looked at the new and used prices of lenses being currently manufactured. I see the used ones being sold at 90% to 95% of the cost of buying it new. That doesn't make sense to me when paying 5% to 10% more you get the warranty.

Sure, you may have to fight for the warranty to be honored, but from what I can tell that's a very rare occurrence.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    I guess that action doesn't hurt 'Nikon' but rather just 'Nikon USA'.

I assume that those are two different entities? WW

My understanding is that Nikon USA is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nikon.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

^

Thanks John, I thought that was a possibility, hence my question mark.

I suppose then, a question is - how much autonomy does Nikon USA exhibit - and for how long if sales decline and the customers are noisy and rambunctious with criticism.

WW

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Sure, you may have to fight for the warranty to be honored, but from what I can tell that's a very rare occurrence.
    When I walk into the Nikon Canada office service counter, there is a sign stating that they will not service ANY lens that was not purchased from an authorized Nikon Canada dealer. I suspect this is their way of discouraging grey market purchases. With interconnected databases and serial numbers on the equipment, it is quite simple for them to find out where the lens was sold.

I understand that Panasonic and Olympus have similar policies here in Canada. I also understand that Canon is a bit more flexible and will repair any lens imported by either Canon Canada or Canon USA (which makes me suspect that Canon Canada is a subsidiary of Canon USA). My experience is that most of the independent repair facilities have shut down and virtually all repairs are directed to the OEM authorized repair facilities.

When I mentioned that it's very rare that you have to fight for a warranty to be honored, I was referring to non-grey market Nikon products.

Most of the independent repair shops have also shut down in America. I'm told that is because Nikon requires authorized shops to carry such a large parts inventory that they can't justify the expense.

Real Name
    Chris

I also have a significant investment in Nikon.
    Back in the 60's & 70's I had considerable contact with Nikon service (through damage, not faulty products) and always found them to be first class; speedy, knowledgeable & helpful. Unfortunately, this began to be eroded in the 80's and was gone by the mid-90's. Since then, Nikon (UK) has sadly become my last port of call for any repairs because their customer service is, quite frankly, appalling.

Real Name
    John

I had very good service from Nikon for my both of my issues, the more expensive issue very positive and the less expensive issue considerably positive.

Issue #1, 70-300mm lens wouldn't auto focus, barrel would rattle and focus never achieved. Described the issue through online report feature, followed steps needed, lens was under a 5-year warranty. Issue solved. I believe my issue was resolved more positively because the problem was easily understood and there was an available remedy that couldn't be handled through back and forths between consumer and technician. I think once you get past the back and forth you'll eventually get the resolution you are looking for.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

I know that the circumstances regarding my shooting Canon, was blind luck. Customer service never
    entered the equation back then. I have continued with Canon due to becoming vested in lenses.

You other guys...what made you select you original gear brand? Did customer service even enter
    the decision making process?

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    I know that the circumstances regarding my shooting Canon, was blind luck. Customer service never
    entered the equation back then. I have continued with Canon due to becoming vested in lenses.

You other guys...what made you select you original gear brand? Did customer service even enter
    Customer service never entered into the equation. I was familiar with Nikon through purchase of a P & S and bridge camera, when I finally purchased DSLR selection of brand was based on reviews, price, lens selection, and comparison of Canon, Pentax, and Sony models. Nikon won out with Canon being a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    what made you select you original gear brand? Did customer service even enter
    My decision was made for two reasons: the Nikon camera comfortably fit my hands and a good friend who I knew would always be at the ready to get me out of a pinch had full command of the Nikon system. (Both reasons proved to be excellent.) Customer service never entered my mind, probably because I assumed my friend would have warned me about it if he felt that quality of service was an issue.

So far, I have been fortunate to have no need for the warranty to be fulfilled and the one time I paid Nikon for service through an authorized retailer the experience was satisfactory. Prior to that I paid a decades-old authorized service facility for minor repairs that were handled with superior quality. Unfortunately, that facility changed ownership and their service has gone down the tubes to the point that I can realistically call it disservice.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 12th February 2015 at 02:48 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

Breakthrough...

After my first contact with Nikon I had to travel out of town so I notified them of that fact and asked them to keep my file open until I could get back and provide the photos they required(if they don't hear from you in a couple of days they'll close your case file). When I got home outside temperatures were near zero so I couldn't get out and take the shots that Nikon was requiring from me. As I fretted over the delay the ridiculousness of the whole situation started to annoy me. I was also afraid Nikon would close my file if they didn't hear from me. So I sent them this.

Hello, Eric. Just providing you an update. I live in Alaska and since I returned home temperatures have been near zero F so I have been unable to set up and take some shots as you requested. The forecast is for warmer daytime temperatures this week. So I will be able to do so by end of week.

I must point out how frustrating this entire conversation is. The photos which I already submitted are consistent with the methodology indicated on the Nikon support website for fine tuning AF. Following is copied directly from the website:

1.Fix the lens to the camera and place the camera on the tripod. Do not move the tripod during testing.
    2.Autofocus on a flat object such as a hardback book or small box which has fine detail a fixed distance from the camera.
    3.Place a ruler at an angle of 45 degrees or more beside the object as shown below.
    4.Align the flat surface of the object with a selected measurement point in the middle of the ruler.
    5.Using autofocus, focus on the flat surface of the object and then use focus lock. Keeping focus lock, photograph the ruler at the point next to the flat surface.

This describes exactly the setup and methodology that was used in taking the photos which I've already submitted. Presumably you can see how from an outside perspective this seems very strange that Nikon support does not comply with its own company endorsed recommendations for testing AF.

I will continue to pursue the photos that you have requested. As indicated they are weather dependent due to time of season in Alaska.
    I heard nothing else from them for two days. Which is unusual. In spite of any other issues they might have they are typically prompt. Then when I got home today and checked my email, I had the message below. Note it is from someone other than Eric. Presumably he elevated it to someone who knew what the heck they were doing. Like the old expression goes, never thump a free melon. It'll be dropped at UPS tomorrow

Hi Daniel Roberts,

Thank you very much for the update! If you are able to get us more samples of ore realistic subjects that would be great for evaluation. However I understand the lens was tested on three different bodies and a AF adjustment was necessary for each. We recommend that you send your product in to our service center for evaluation by one of our technicians. Below I have provided a link with instructions on how to send your product to one of our service centers.

Repair Information:
    http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/336

I have also provided an additional link to our Nikon Digital Imaging Warranty for you review.

Nikon Digital Imaging Warranty:
    https://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans...etail/a_id/333

I will have your case escalated for pre paid shipping labels please allow 24-48 hours for approval.

Thank you,
    Miriam

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: Breakthrough...

Breakthrough indeed . . .

Good Oh! and Good Luck!

You expressed your understandable frustration using a demeanor and facts that were very compelling. I give credit to you, the person who escalated your ticket and to the person on the receiving end of the escalation. Well done all around. It would have been even better if you hadn't had to go through the second round of expressing your concerns, but not every situation works out perfectly. It seems to me that you are well on your way to getting this situation resolved to your satisfaction.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    ...It would have been even better if you hadn't had to go through the second round of expressing your concerns, but not every situation works out perfectly. It seems to me that you are well on your way to getting this situation resolved to your satisfaction.
    It was beyond the second round. There were several additional emails between which I didn't share. Inane instructions on how to take the shots that they were asking for etc. It was evident they hadn't even bothered to look at those that had already been submitted. I can understand the need for the first level screening. After all they've sold millions of P/S cameras over the past few years. I suspect they get a fair number of questions/complaints that would be easily resolved if the customer simply read the user manual. But you would think it would be easy enough to simply have a different level of screeners who handle inquiries associated with high end gear. Had the lens not still been under warranty I'd have simply sent it to APS and been done with it.

Well that's the first hurdle. Now we'll see whether they simply honor the warranty or if that turns into a long, drawn out argument. Either way there's plenty of time to sort it out between now and shooting season.

It really is ironic with all of the Nikon gear that I have owned over 30 years that I've never had an issue until now. And then it just happens to be the most expensive thing that I own. Go figure

Real Name
    Mark

Now watch it get lost in the post

NPS member yes, fulltime pro no, minimum amounts of gear no, i didnt apply they just offered it so i said yes.... go figure...... will it make any difference if i have a problem? i seriously doubt it. I buy most of my kit from a company called HDEW who sell grey imports. They have their own warrenty service provided with an idependant repair center in Glasgow, whome i have spoken too and are competant....

Bought Nikon cause i like the feel of it..... am i regretting the choice? somtimes.... can i afford to switch? probably not....oh well thats life...

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    When I walk into the Nikon Canada office service counter, there is a sign stating that they will not service ANY lens that was not purchased from an authorized Nikon Canada dealer. I suspect this is their way of discouraging grey market purchases. With interconnected databases and serial numbers on the equipment, it is quite simple for them to find out where the lens was sold.

I understand that Panasonic and Olympus have similar policies here in Canada. I also understand that Canon is a bit more flexible and will repair any lens imported by either Canon Canada or Canon USA (which makes me suspect that Canon Canada is a subsidiary of Canon USA). My experience is that most of the independent repair facilities have shut down and virtually all repairs are directed to the OEM authorized repair facilities.
    So what happens if someone visits Canada needs a repair and has bought in the UK

Real Name
    John

After my first contact with Nikon I had to travel out of town so I notified them of that fact and asked them to keep my file open until I could get back and provide the photos they required(if they don't hear from you in a couple of days they'll close your case file). When I got home outside temperatures were near zero so I couldn't get out and take the shots that Nikon was requiring from me. As I fretted over the delay the ridiculousness of the whole situation started to annoy me. I was also afraid Nikon would close my file if they didn't hear from me. So I sent them this.

I heard nothing else from them for two days. Which is unusual. In spite of any other issues they might have they are typically prompt. Then when I got home today and checked my email, I had the message below. Note it is from someone other than Eric. Presumably he elevated it to someone who knew what the heck they were doing. Like the old expression goes, never thump a free melon. It'll be dropped at UPS tomorrow
    Glad you are one step closer to resolving the issue.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    ...NPS member yes, fulltime pro no, minimum amounts of gear no, i didnt apply they just offered it so i said yes....
    That's interesting. The reason I have the gear that I do is because I am semi-pro. Haven't given up the day job yet. But according to their stated rules I don't qualify. The stated rules are 1) ownership of at least two pro bodies and three lenses(check) 2) full time professional 3) sponsorship by an existing member who will vouch for you as being a pro

When you say "they" offered it, did it come directly from Nikon or from the dealer that you work with?
    ...Bought Nikon cause i like the feel of it..... am i regretting the choice? somtimes.... can i afford to switch? probably not....oh well thats life...
    Don't get me wrong, I love the equipment. And as I've said, this is the first and only item that's ever needed service other than breakage(Oh and they had a "recall" on the D810 for a firmware upgrade). And being accustomed to the ergonomics would be another barrier to changing in addition to the cost. But overall Nikon/Canon are much of a muchness. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

After this experience I believe I will pursue the NPS membership. I'm aware of several people who are members that don't meet the full time professional requirement. So they must either waive that requirement or don't do a rigorous check.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast