Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those that have the Money 5Ds & 5Ds R

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: For those that have the Money 5Ds & 5Ds R

Quote Originally Posted by deetheturk View Post
    Hi Donald, did yours arrive the other day? And if so, what are your initial thoughts on the beastie?

Cheers David
    Yes, it arrived on Wednesday. Given that I also, fairly recently, got a 7DMkII and battled away for a number of months to properly get to grips with it in terms of learning all (most?) of what it can do and how to best set it up, setting up the 5DS has been great fun given that the two share many characteristics/features. The 5DS does, not surprisingly, have things that the 7DMkII doesn't; e.g. the ability to customise 'Quick Control'. And that is absolutely wonderful. But in such as assigning functions to various buttons, it is just the same.

What is utterly awesome is what I'm seeing as a result of my other purchase. I decided to really push the boat out and have also bought the 11-24 f4 L. Now, I thought that using the excellent Tokina 11-16 f2.8 (which I've traded in) on my crop frame body was wonderfully wide. This combination of the 5DS and 11-24 just takes the term 'wide' into a whole new ball park. It is incredible.

I was just thinking as I was out walking with my dog within the last hour, that I will have to re-learn how to try and 'see' pictures of such width. I do think about as a re-training activity.

Anyway, I'm having fun!!
    Last edited by Donald; 18th July 2015 at 06:31 AM.

Real Name
    Greg

I'm looking forward to seeing your results with the 5Ds, Donald.

Real Name
    Dan

Looking forward to seeing some results. For what you do, unlike what I do, it should be a great tool. Enjoy it.

Real Name
    David

Great stuff Donald, I never knew that you had went the full hog and got the 11-24 as well, like they say you can't hide money lol!

I'm chuffed for you pal and am looking forward to seeing some great B+W images from your new combo, no pressure enjoy!

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Probably need 11mm to capture the very W I D E smile of excitement on your face!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Great stuff Donald, I never knew that you had went the full hog and got the 11-24 as well, like they say you can't hide money lol!
    Fate can play a cruel hand at times. In life, Sheila was always one for saving, saving, saving. In death she has left me more financially secure than I could ever have imagined. There is an irony/poignancy to that which I have found quite difficult to handle. But I will enjoy what we achieved that we could not ultimately enjoy together. I have no children or dependants. I won't be irresponsible, but given I might have 10-20 good years left (with luck), I'm going to enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Probably need 11mm to capture the very W I D E smile of excitement on your face!
    Indeed. There is a saying we have about a dog and his, ehm, 'manhood', but I'm far too polite to repeat that on here.
    Last edited by Donald; 18th July 2015 at 10:20 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

For those that have the Money 5Ds & 5Ds R

Donald,

Given the sort of photography you do, this should be an exceptional tool and a lot of fun to use. Enjoy it in good health.

Dan
    Last edited by DanK; 19th July 2015 at 01:00 AM.

Real Name
    David

[QUOTE=Donald;535442]Fate can play a cruel hand at times. In life, Sheila was always one for saving, saving, saving. In death she has left me more financially secure than I could ever have imagined. There is an irony/poignancy to that which I have found quite difficult to handle. But I will enjoy what we achieved that we could not ultimately enjoy together. I have no children or dependants. I won't be irresponsible, but given I might have 10-20 good years left (with luck), I'm going to enjoy it.

I wish you all the luck in the world with your new kit Donald, and like you say, it is sad that Sheila is not there with you to share it with you, but I'm sure she will be looking down with anticipation, like the rest of us, waiting for these first images

David

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Indeed. There is a saying we have about a dog and his, ehm, 'manhood', but I'm far too polite to repeat that on here.
    Donald, I suspect that you are making reference to a "dog with two tails"

Like you I'm too polite to modify the wording of the more common rendition.

However I'm sure that both your new cameras could fit with this description though Donald "Clachin A. Choin" I hope I've got the correct spelling ?. I shall leave the translation to you though Donald

Real Name
    Peter

I wish you all the luck in the world with your new kit Donald, and like you say, it is sad that Sheila is not there with you to share it with you, but I'm sure she will be looking down with anticipation, like the rest of us, waiting for these first images

David
    I shall second that, well said David

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by ST1 View Post
    "Clachin A. Choin" I hope I've got the correct spelling ?. I shall leave the translation to you though Donald
    You have indeed ... and been completely accurate in your assessment of my excitement.

Real Name
    Mark

Donald

I haven't posted for ages for a variety of reasons but I have kept a lazy left eye on the site. I wish you well with your new camera and lenses. The 5dS is absolutely perfect for your photography. I'd love to buy one. After dabbling in every type of photography over the last 5 years, I've decided my strengths lie in landscapes and nature. I don't need to make money out of it and I'm tired of begging for accreditation and then seeing so called "professionals" producing very average images. I'm at the stage where I'll take a good view with good light and day of the week. I'll keep an eye out for your images. As an aside, I still do fine art printing up to 24 inches wide and I'd be more than happy to produce a large print for you if you like. I'd love to actually see a large detailed print from the 5Ds.

I have a 24mm tilt shift which is an amazing landscape lens. The 8 - 15mm fisheye is also a natty toy and of course my old favourite the 18-35 is a lovely lens too.

Keep well, Regards Mark

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Markvetnz View Post
    Donald

I haven't posted for ages for a variety of reasons but I have kept a lazy left eye on the site. ...
    Mark

It's a delight to see you posting on the forum.

I think I've now got it (5DS) pretty much doing what I want it to, so far as which-button-does-what is concerned. Now I need to get out there and get some photographs.

I'd be very happy to send you a file of something that I (and you) might think is worth the time and money to print large. Let me get back to you on that in due course.
    Last edited by Donald; 20th July 2015 at 10:52 AM.

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Mark

It's a delight to see you posting on the forum.

I think I've now got it (5DS) pretty much doing what I want it to, so far as which-button-does-what is concerned. Now I need to get out there and get some photographs.

I'd be very happy to send you a file of something that I (and you) might think is worth the time and money to print large. Let me get back to you on that in due course.
    Please just pm me when you are ready. Cost will be very little. Our $ has dropped considerably against the pound in recent times.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12