Thread: Printing odd sizes

Real Name
    Ankit

Printing odd sizes

While on vacation, I ended up picking up 2 frames to commemorate the trip.
    I do some basic photo printing at home with my canon pro-100.
    After printing out a pic, I noticed the frames were not a standard size.

I wanted to know what software can help me print to conform to the frame.
    I was going to take an 8x10 sheet and then just print the size I want on the sheet and cut it.

I typically use the canon software which allows me to select the media size, media type, etc (won't let me do non-standard sizes at least not that I can see).
    I also have photoshop cc if it can be done from there but didnt like that it was missing the options i had in the canon software.

Re: Printing odd sizes

I simply set my images to the required dimensions, including resolution then set the printing paper size, and print. Physically crop the paper as required after printing.

Which means I regularly print two images at 200 x133 (3 x 2 ratio) or two at 167 x 135 mm (5 x 4 ratio) on the same A4 sheet of paper; then crop the paper.

In fact I have created some guide lines which I use to position the images, on separate layers, to make the paper cropping even easier. I can even print one image at 4 x 5 ratio and one at 3 x 2 ratio on the same sheet of paper.

Photoshop CC will have even more options for you to use (I use CS5) but it does initially take a little bit of careful thought before printing, to get everything set up correctly. But it becomes easy once you get the knack.

A little bit of thought and possibly some simple maths will allow you to set your image size to fit your frames. The images may need careful cropping if you want an all round equal border. Nothing difficult but you may need to set physical dimensions for your crop, unless you are able to calculate your longest/shortest image size to suit the frames then cut the paper and use a mounting mat to give the border.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 3rd February 2015 at 06:37 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by THaNaToZ View Post
    I also have photoshop cc if it can be done from there but didnt like that it was missing the options i had in the canon software.
    I rather doubt that, Photoshop is generally regarded as the most powerful editing tool around and I would be surprised to find that there isn't an equivalent (or in fact many ways) of doing what the Canon product (Digital Photo Professional, I assume) does.

In Photoshop CC, use the crop tool to crop the image to the size you want and then print it on a standard piece of photo paper and trim it to size by hand or use a paper cutter (which is what I would use).

Real Name
    Dave

If you have Photoshop CC then I suppose you also have Lightroom? You might want to check out Lightroom's print module.

Dave

Real Name
    J stands for John

I would have thought that the simple solution would be to mount the print on a piece of card and then cut the card to suit the frame?
    I don't see any programme can adjust a photo to suit a "standard format" without cropping* or distorting the image ... so which is more important to you .... fitting a frame or retaining the proper image? *Most progammes when using the crop tool give an indication of the ratio being obtained by the crop ... the trick is relating and understanding what the programme is telling you ... many people simply do not have a clue about proportions and using that information ...I'm not sure it is second nature to myself But I know it is possible if I get my brain around it.

Real Name
    John

Most frames are sized a bit smaller or larger than the photo you plan to mount. You have to adjust the print to fit the frame.

Real Name
    Remco

I may be missing something here, but usually I see frames with a 'matte' between the frame and the photo (if only to avoid contact between the glass and the photo).
    If the difference in aspect isn't too big, couldn't you just get a matte cut to the proper sizes? That way, you can still have the optimal aspect ratio for the image.

Yes but in this case it is a 'non standard' frame size, which might or might not come with a matte supplied. And it still requires resizing the image to fit; then printing on standard size paper before trimming to the matte size.

Some people do cut their own matte. But I've never been really successful; and I do worry about my finger tips!

Real Name
    John

I purchased my frame from an art store and they were willing to provide the resizing at a cost, but I just purchased the matte board and did it myself.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Matt boards tend to be cut with a special bevel edged cutting tool.

Not an exercise that someone can attempt freehand.

Real Name
    Dave

Matt boards tend to be cut with a special bevel edged cutting tool.

Not an exercise that someone can attempt freehand.
    I would certainly endorse that. I do have a (Logan) matt cutter, and I certainly couldn't do a decent job without it.

Dave

Real Name
    Denny

Photoshop CC can resize your print. You can crop parts off or set to preset dimensions. Pretty much nothing you can't do with it.

Real Name
    Ankit

This seems to get a little off tangent..haha...
    Its a handmade wood frame with no matte. Only has insert to stick a photo into. 5x7 print is small and shows the background of the frame.
    I don't have LR. and one of the suggestions on cutting the print is what I said in my original post.
    I'd like to print say a 6x8 (not really the size) on an 8x10 then just hand cut it out.

I saw a suggestion on setting the size in photoshop but HOW do you do that? I've cropped and edited pics before and I can take those same pics and print them on 5x7 or 4x6, etc via canon software (I've seen no distortion on the pics as the software does autocrop to fit it on the selected size). So how does Photoshop set the size and know I want to print 6x8 (on 8x10 media would probably not be relevant).

I've only printed using the canon myimage garden software which I find quite easy by setting size, semi-gloss (or type), and high quality (w/e this means).

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Unfortunately, I don't know the Canon software, so I am not going to be any help there.

With Photoshop, there are a number of ways of accomplishing this task. Creating a new file that is the size you want;Photoshop, with the <File> <New> command lets one do this and then positioning it on an 8 x 10 (or any other paper size) is one way to do this.

As for mounting a picture unmatted, that is something I tend to stay away from unless the frame has anti-glare glass (and there are some downsides with this type of material). Placing an image directly on glass often leads to Newton's rings; small multicoloured interference rings in places where the image is not quite in contact with the glass. Having the image mounted on a matt keeps the image off the glass and eliminates this issue.

I will have to start my other computer and check out exactly how I print what you require; it comes automatically to me when I'm doing it, but a bit more difficult to think about and describe how I actually do it in each stage.

But basically, just resize your image then go to Print (Ctrl+P) etc. Choose a centred image then go to the Print settings and enter the printer details, including paper type and size. Then just print - very simple once you get the hang of it.

Just slightly more difficult when, like I print, you want more than one image on the same paper sheet or a specifically placed position, not centred.

OK, having tried to write down the simple steps which I use, without thinking, this is what I do with CS5. Assuming your software will be similar.

Resize the image as required using Image Menu. If cropping is required after resizing to the shortest length, select the crop tool and enter the required sizes in the top toolbar. Drag the tool over your image then double click to crop.

To print. Go to File Menu and select Print. On that menu click centre image (under Position). Click on the Print settings and adjust for your paper type/size etc; then just print.

Alternatively, and slightly more complicated. Under Colour Handling change Printer Manages Colour to Photoshop Manages Colour and select the Paper Profile for your paper. Check the Printer settings are still correct and print.

Then trim your print to the required size.

While using a matt is the correct thing to do it isn't essential for average prints under average conditions and I have many prints which work fine without a matt.

Real Name
    Denny

My thoughts when I said use PS was to bring up the photo in Photoshop and go to the IMAGE tab and in the drop down menu manipulate the Image Size to get the photo portion and Canvas Size if you want a border. Once you have a border, if you add one, you can use the Paint Bucket Tool to make the border the color you want. If you want a specific H to W format you can use the Crop tool.
    If you want to make a big print from a small one then there are some tricks but that's for another time.
    When you send it to the printer the size can be manipulated again in the print routine.

thanks for the idea.