Thread: The beach in winter

Real Name
    Andrew

The beach in winter

When we have spring tides much more of the beach is exposed than normal and you can walk nearly three miles on the sand. At these times an old wreck from the 1920's is exposed and lots of people walk up to see it hence all the footprints. I wanted to convey how bitterly cold the strong wind was, any suggestions?The beach in winter

Real Name
    John

Re: The beach in winter

Nicely conveyed. Nice image.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Your image conveyed the strong winds via the clouds and the ripples of the water...what else do you want to convey? A storm...just commenting, nothing nasty. I really like this scenario and the mood you created with it. Well done.

Real Name
    Dan

Hi, Andrew. In terms of what you indicate that you wanted to get across, the ripples in the water are a good start. You were somewhat hampered by the messy footprints, but if you had gotten even a bit lower/closer the ripples would be a larger part of the scene. Also my own personal bias is that I associate dark skies with stormy conditions. Intelectually I know better, but those are my immediate "feelings". So minimizing the amount of that bright sky and darkening it in PP might support your intended story.

Full disclosure, I'm not a strong landscape photographer. So give my comments due weight.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Excellent image

Yes, slightly darkening just the sky is something worth considering. And alternatively, a crop from part of the sky would certainly give a different appearance to the scene.

You would lose something but also gain a lot more apparent width and add to the desolation feeling of the scene. In which case I would leave the sky as it is currently. Just a thought?

I like the shot, but to me, bitterly cold wind means people would have gloves on and their heads covered to fight off the cold.
    I think I might have waited just a tad longer for the sun to go behind one of the clouds a bit more too. Nice effort though.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Its a lovely image. I agree with Alan that the human, or even dog, interest might add to the coldness if you were to give them more prominence in the scene. Perhaps the wind in the dog's coat ?

BTW, where are you, North Coast Devon I guess, but can't pinpoint where ?

Real Name
    Mark

You pose an interesting challenge and I think I am in the "dark sky" cohort. I wonder if you took some of the brightness and warmth out of the sky whether you might get more of the effect you wanted.