Thread: Week 5 Project 52 Pixie Izzie...

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Week 5 Project 52 Pixie Izzie...

My theme this week is about Private Entrance to the Hangars. I was waiting to go to the Fete de Glace Ice Carving Competition this weekend but looking at the calendar, I noticed that January 31 covers Week 6 already so driving around the airport, I found some "decorated" doors and made it my theme for this week. All these doors looked like this like forever...

Of course you can comment and critique. I know...I know, they all look ordinary but I am pressed by time this week with all the happenings around here...it was my chance to get out of the house... to refresh my brain.

#1... I think this is one of the airport owners' hangar where the antique airplanes donated or bought by him for the museum are restored to make it flyable. Both financial owner and working owner are both members of the WACO Club.

2...The owner of this hangar is a dedicated Piper CUB fanatic.

3...I thought this one is a cutie so I took a shot of it. I have no idea who owns this hangar. I may know him by wave (as we all wave to one another when we passed each other's open hangar) as is for respect. His title there might be an expression of how they restore their airplanes inside with great care and quality. They gotta be -- as old airplanes need quality work for it to fly legally and well.

4...This is one of my favourites. You can see why. I've had a sit down lunch with the owner of this hangar but I am always ashamed to ask his name because we've seen each other many times and have lunches on the same table at the FBO and chatted. I thought I will wait until the Spring when I hear someone calls his name or something. Then I will get to know him and not forget because of his mystery door.

5...Who wouldn't call this one stinky? We all do and have a good laugh...beautiful red Bucker airplane inside this door...

6...And I thought this last one although not a door is nice. I found this in front of the cash register. I just thought it is funny...You should know me by now -- I like funny stuffs...

Hope you enjoy my submissions this week...

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Week 5 Project 52 Pixie Izzie...

Very cute Izzie! I enjoyed seeing these very much!

Real Name
    Dan

Izzie, I think you picked a great topic. Really an interesting insight into the private pilot/airplane owners' culture. Plus we get another little peek into what makes Izzie tick...

Real Name
    Grahame

Thanks for keeping us smiling Izzie.

Good selection along with the stories behind them, did you notice how every one has ended up with different lock arrangements?

Grahame

Real Name
    John

Last one was the most humorous, the others could do with a bit of info such as story behind the logo, history of the particular craft; but interesting just to view. Nice efforts.

Real Name
    Izzie

Thanks John...the story of each aircraft will come when I photograph them, the real aircraft there. I think that would be fair...

Grahame, I think locks got changed one way or the other. The front lock of our hangar door hasn't changed much but the back door did when someone attempted to rob the hangar. Lucky, we have a 24/7 security at that airport.

Thanks Dan for your comments. I am a bit hesitant telling the stories of the hangar owners really because we respect each other's private lives there. It was the yarning that makes us laugh from time to time that I join them at the FBO for Sunday lunches. They have really been good to us when we had our Swift National event there. I just ran out of steam but they all helped...I do not go there much but I have this winter when I started the Project 52. I thought I will revisit the firetrucks and some funny stuffs there at the FBO. It is almost deserted during the weekdays this winter. Looking for themes for each week is hard work too, but I am persevering because I want to learn more. I have a funny feeling I am getting to know my camera more. I really love it. I need more glass though. I will buy some more when I get back from Australia in March.

Thanks Frank...I followed your advise and keep at pressing buttons on this camera. I am afraid I might wear it down too much...pretty much like how hubby's copy of my car keys do not work anymore for using it everyday. Now we need another $250 to replace the damn thing. I can hardly wait for the next morning so I can play with my camera, take shots of anything and everything just practicing enough so that my brain and fingers and camera comes together automatically so I do not have to think but composition and the theme for my projects.
    Thank you all for commenting. I really appreciate it very, very much.

Izzie, very creative. While doors are just 'doors', they are there for a reason. And what's on the outside of a door, as in the ones you've shot, suggest certain things about who, or what is beyond the door. Actually shooting doors is a very creative idea. And since it's the owners who put up the artwork, it tells us a little something about them. Cool idea and good to see your creative juices are flowing.

Real Name
    Izzie

Thanks for your comments Jack...I am flattered you said of me as being creative... I never thought I am but I will accept that -- it might really sink in and work for me. One day, it might... Thanks again.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Thanks Frank...I followed your advise and keep at pressing buttons on this camera. I am afraid I might wear it down too much...pretty much like how hubby's copy of my car keys do not work anymore for using it everyday. Now we need another $250 to replace the damn thing. I can hardly wait for the next morning so I can play with my camera, take shots of anything and everything just practicing enough so that my brain and fingers and camera comes together automatically so I do not have to think but composition and the theme for my projects.
    The key is not to simply press buttons but as you say "practicing enough so that my brain and fingers and camera comes together automatically". Once you get to that point, you will instinctively configure the settings quickly and correctly when the unexpected occurs and as a result, have a much better chance of getting the shot.

Real Name
    Janis

Great subject, Izzie, and a very enjoyable series. It's you who is giving me ideas, now...

Real Name
    Izzie

Thanks Frank and Janis...

Frank...slowly I am mastering my camera and I am happy you gave me hints hints just like Janis' talks on lighting. I learned a lot this time around. Now if only I can remember to look at my camera checklist, then I will be happily clicking away without so much thought as composition. I am getting there...thanks to both of you for the comments. 'Appreciate it a lot.

Janis for some reason or the other on Week 7 I will have to stay put and do a theme on my studio settings so I am taking note of your hints on lighting a particular subject ... thank you for commenting on my shot this week even though it was done on a pinch.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

I like these, but wonder about their presentation.....somehow I want the angle of each to be the same and the border around each door to be the same. I'd also like to see them in a horizontal sequence rather than vertically but heaven knows how you do that on the forum !!
    That said, I think they're creative and tell the story - and isn't what part of this project 52 is about - using what we've got and doing something with it. I think you've succeeded. And the last capture is a gem.

Real Name
    Barbara

Izzie, very interesting. Just from you shots I would imagine the owner of #1 is more serious sort of fellow and the other a bit more jovial. You can tell a lot about a person from the way they decorate their things.......

Real Name
    Izzie

Thank you for your comments and critiques, Kay and Barbara...

Kay, I cannot do the landscape shoot here because these are each private entrance to the actual hangars. Just pretty much like a side door to a garage to a private residence. Maybe when I ran out of theme this year, I might do the actual hangar door itself that will have to be shoot in landscape mode. There are quite some beautiful ones out there at our little airport.

Barbara -- you guessed right! John Cannoyer is a very serious guy indeed but he is a very pleasant fellow and very down to earth guy, always in his denim bibbed overall. He handles his businesses well. The working partner is the grumpy one but he is nice too at heart, you just got to know him...This is just one of the many hangars where his employees maintains the museum airplanes to make it flyable. If I want something done, either I go to John or the wife of the working partner who has the most say especially when it comes to events to be held at the airport. The newer hangars are not as colourful...unfortunately. The funny looking doors belongs to private individuals, like us.