Thread: Digitizing 16mm film

Real Name
    Peter

Digitizing 16mm film

Does anyone have experience of doing this?

I've been asked to help with a project to do some B&W from the 40s & 50s while we still can, and I have no idea as to the best way to proceed.

Real Name
    John

Re: Digitizing 16mm film

Did the requestor provide a budget, equipment, additional assistance?

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Peter

I played around with digitizing some super 8 movie film some years ago but it takes a fair bit of work to rig up a decent set-up. For a start, you need a projector (16mm in your case). Then there are basically two ways

Display the movie on to a screen or some other device and use a video camera to record the video. The main problems with this approach are low picture quality and the video frame rate not being properly synchronized to the film frame rate.

Use a modified projector and a modified video camera looking directly at the film frame when it is stationary in the film gate and while the shutter is open. Use special software to trigger the camera to capture an image every time a new film frame moves into position. This is called frame by frame capture and is capable of quite good results but it involves a lot of work to get everything set up. Not all models of projector can be modified in the necessary way. You can buy equipment custom made for this purpose but frankly I can't see it being economical to buy it unless you have a lot of film to do that is quite important to you.

The attached link gives a more detailed overview of the processes.

In my opinion, you would be better off getting it done by a commercial company. But quiz them on their method. Good luck.

Dave
    Last edited by dje; 24th January 2015 at 06:46 AM.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Another way which I am not sure would work for video though I used it in film days [16mm to 16mm] was to photograph an aerial image in space between projector and camera ... the key and essential part of the set-up was a magnifying glass to collect the light and direct the diverging beams from the projector back into the camera. Also one focused both projector and camera not on the glass but some distance away from it to avoid copying dust on the glass. I bought a war surplus projector gate and claw mechanism in another experiment to make a step printer ... still have it now thirty years later I noticed a few days ago

Real Name
    Denny

Haven't tried it but I would think one of the new DSLR's with HD video capability and the right lens could capture a very good image from a good screen in a dark room.
    Is there sound also? That would be covered with a direct wire to the external mike input perhaps?

There was a scheme in the UK which did this for you, with suitable archive film, and it was free as long as you donated a copy to their archives. And there are UK companies which will do it for a charge.

I have just been offered some film for our local history society so I am about to check up on what is still available; so will report back in a couple of days. I know we had some films transferred to digital a couple of years ago.

Real Name
    Peter

Thanks all for your tips - I'm particularly interested in your comments, Geoff.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

You might want to determine if ScanCafe.com scans 16mm film. I can vouch for their scanning services pertaining to 35mm color slides. However, their location may be prohibitive for you.

Real Name
    Mike

I know of someone in the Boston area who handles professional legacy film and audio transfers, should no other option work out for you. And that person has long-time connections with a top-level transfer shop used by the film industry for work that is out of his realm of expertise.

This question reminded me of a little film transfer project I did myself several years ago with my family's 1940s and other 8mm reels. Opting to do it "on the cheap", I actually located a privately owned pristine quality vintage 8mm projector from an employee in my university's library, and borrowed a Hi-8 or similar format video camera. I projected the movie on a piece of paper on the wall of my office (about A4 size) and videotaped the "screen".

The results were decent enough and despite a film splice break here and a bit of melted film there (plus some flicker from running the projector too slow at times), I got what I wanted!

danielstill03.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by proseak View Post
    Thanks all for your tips - I'm particularly interested in your comments, Geoff.
    I mentioned this to our society chairman but he couldn't offhand remember the company name, but was going to check back over his records. I have to collect the film for transfer and deliver to him later this week so at the moment this is an ongoing situation.

Previous films were sent away and we received a digital version on DVD. There was a small charge but nothing excessive.