Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Pre-Wedding photo Shoot

Real Name
    Kay

Re: First Pre-Wedding photo Shoot

Sorry to be late to the thread, but I wanted to give a +1 to Richard's suggestion regarding posing.
    Everybody will tell you that they don't want 'posed' photos, they just want natural, candid, spontaneous photos.
    Well in my opinion, having engagement, pre-wedding or wedding photos that actually look like that...have in I would suggest most cases, been directed by a skilful photographer.
    It is on one hand becoming familiar with your equipment, it is on the other being comfortable with people & knowing what to say when they look at you for 'where & how' to stand.
    If you can direct that well & use the environment around you... Then the expressions on their faces will in turn be very relaxed & un-posed.
    Personally I found how to pose without looking posed a steep learning curve to embark on. I know this shoot is for friends, but if starting on a career, this will become a big part of it.
    I have made myself a small set of cards of images with people in poses, that I like (for Deb Balls, or 'Sportraits') I punched a hole in the corner of the cards, popped them on a key ring & have them around the house, I flick through them when I have a spare moment, committing them to memory, so when someone looks to me & says where do I stand, what do I do with my hands?
    I at least have a starting point in my mind.
    So my advice has nothing to do with equipment, but hopefully it is in a small way helpful. Best wishes to you & your friends.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

My advice is based upon: simplicity, rapport and meaningful outcomes.

Simplicity:

I’d stream line the technical stuff: some comments on your gear and your procedures that I suggest you use –

Quote Originally Posted by mrinmoyvk View Post
    Nikon D5200 + 18-55 kit lens + 50mm 1.8 G + pop up flash diffusers (Red, White, Blue). . .
    I generally shoot Raw + JPEG, mainly into Aperture priority mode with picture control set to portrait customised for +1 contrast
    I’d use the kit zoom lens for the majority of the shoot, ensuring that I had a few very good shots. The temptation will be to change lenses often as one of the reasons you bought the 50/1.8 was probably because it is reputed as “a good portrait lens” – well it can be but get some keepers with the zoom lens first as using the zoom will be easier to frame.

Once you are confident that you have a few very good shots then swap to the 50/1.8 and try a few shallow DoF shots – use F/2.2 or F/2.5 the lens works better at those apertures than at F/1.8. Use a lens hood if you have one.

You shoot raw, so all that other JPEG in camera processing stuff doesn’t matter that much.

What does matter is your Metering Mode – and your understanding of how that works.

If you do not fully understand the nuances of Nikon Metering Modes and how to use Exposure Compensation in Aperture Priority Camera Mode then I’d suggest using MATRIX METERING MODE and 0 (zero) EXPOSURE COMPENSATION.

I would forget using the Pop-Up-Flash. I can be used as Fill, but it is an advanced technique.

Initially, use OPEN SHADE (Read “Rapport” below) and get some good shots in the bag –and don’t try any fancy lighting techniques until you have some keepers – for example Hard Sidelight Available Lighting – once you have some keepers then experiment with shadow and light: remember if you have good shot in basically flat light -you can create some depth in Post Production.

Rapport:

The one single element that I would want to attain in each image is RAPPORT between the Engaged Couple – and then, if you can, focus that RAPPORT down the camera’s lens. Getting both is very good photography but getting the first is well on the way to satisfying the client – so firstly concentrate on allowing their rapport to blossom and capture that.

This is akin to you being a Stage Manager and Choreographer rather than a “poser of the talent” – if you do choose to “pose them” it should be subtle and not prescriptive – well it can be very prescriptive and still very subtle – but that too is a very advanced technique – so I suggest “helping them to be at easy showing their affection for each other” rather than “put your foot here” . . .

Meaningful Outcomes:

It occurs to me that you want to learn and they want photos that show that they are ‘in love’.

Stick to the basics and keep it simple – get a few shots which will satisfy the Client in the bag - and then experiment one step at a time: what I mean by ‘one step at a time’ is if you choose to use the 50/1.8 then do NOT at that same technical change, move to hard lighting – make only one technical change at a time, that way you will have more control and you will feel and (more importantly) also act more confident and more in control of the shoot.

WW

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I agree with everything that Dave stated above regarding clothing and wish to add a bit more. IMO, the clothing that the pair is wearing should blend. This is not only regarding the color of the clothing but the style. Having the female dressed somewhat formally and the male dressed in jeans, etc. doesn't work for me.
    What would you suggest then?

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post

Simplicity:

I’d stream line the technical stuff: some comments on your gear and your procedures that I suggest you use –

I’d use the kit zoom lens for the majority of the shoot, ensuring that I had a few very good shots. The temptation will be to change lenses often as one of the reasons you bought the 50/1.8 was probably because it is reputed as “a good portrait lens” – well it can be but get some keepers with the zoom lens first as using the zoom will be easier to frame.

Once you are confident that you have a few very good shots then swap to the 50/1.8 and try a few shallow DoF shots – use F/2.2 or F/2.5 the lens works better at those apertures than at F/1.8. Use a lens hood if you have one.

You shoot raw, so all that other JPEG in camera processing stuff doesn’t matter that much.

What does matter is your Metering Mode – and your understanding of how that works.

If you do not fully understand the nuances of Nikon Metering Modes and how to use Exposure Compensation in Aperture Priority Camera Mode then I’d suggest using MATRIX METERING MODE and 0 (zero) EXPOSURE COMPENSATION.

I would forget using the Pop-Up-Flash. I can be used as Fill, but it is an advanced technique.

Initially, use OPEN SHADE (Read “Rapport” below) and get some good shots in the bag –and don’t try any fancy lighting techniques until you have some keepers – for example Hard Sidelight Available Lighting – once you have some keepers then experiment with shadow and light: remember if you have good shot in basically flat light -you can create some depth in Post Production.

Rapport:

The one single element that I would want to attain in each image is RAPPORT between the Engaged Couple – and then, if you can, focus that RAPPORT down the camera’s lens. Getting both is very good photography but getting the first is well on the way to satisfying the client – so firstly concentrate on allowing their rapport to blossom and capture that.

This is akin to you being a Stage Manager and Choreographer rather than a “poser of the talent” – if you do choose to “pose them” it should be subtle and not prescriptive – well it can be very prescriptive and still very subtle – but that too is a very advanced technique – so I suggest “helping them to be at easy showing their affection for each other” rather than “put your foot here” . . .

Meaningful Outcomes:

It occurs to me that you want to learn and they want photos that show that they are ‘in love’.

Stick to the basics and keep it simple – get a few shots which will satisfy the Client in the bag - and then experiment one step at a time: what I mean by ‘one step at a time’ is if you choose to use the 50/1.8 then do NOT at that same technical change, move to hard lighting – make only one technical change at a time, that way you will have more control and you will feel and (more importantly) also act more confident and more in control of the shoot.

WW
    Perfect. Thanks my friend.

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

Simplicity:

Rapport:

Meaningful Outcomes:

WW
    Perfect. Thanks my friend.

Real Name
    Richard

What would you suggest then?
    I would suggest that the colors of the clothing that the couple wear should not clash like one wearing predominantly orange with the other wearing purple. Or having the female wear a formal looking outfit with the male wearing ratty looking T-shirt and torn jeans.

I have never seen a couple shot with the male in a formal outfit and the female in ratty street clothing...

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

Hello everyone.

With all your suggesstions, I had gone for the shoot yesterday. Enjoyed it a lot. Thank you guys.

I am yet to deliver the images to the couple but girl had a quick look at few images in camera it self. Might be she was curious to see how she looks. To my surprise, she liked those and asked whether I am ready to go out other day for second session of prewedding shoot with Indian traditional costumes. Looking forward to it now. Its on 30th Morning.

By the way, for yesterday's shoot she was wearing a red gown and the boy was wearing a blue jeans and white shirt.
    I will post a few images or the link here once I complete the 2nd session of shoot.
    I used friend's 18-200 and my 50mm 1.8 for this shoot.

She wants to do the 2nd session with Indian traditional costumes on beach. How about it? I would prefer some traditional place like some palace or something but not sure of any in Mumbai.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Good.

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

Hi All,

Here I am posting few images from the photoshoot. I have reduced the size to 640x480 for upload purpose.
    Please let me know if I need to improve any particular thing which is common to multiple images.

First Pre-Wedding photo Shoot

Real Name
    John

Nice series, love the humor. Be careful of dappled lighting conditions, consider using fill flash to balance out the shadows/lights; she's got raccoon eyes forming in the fifth image. Watch out for blown highlights on the white shirt and try not to lose detail in the darks as in the last image. I recently did a shoot of dancers at/near sunset and I was tempted to let all my shadows go black, but instead pushed the ISO so I could freeze the motion and also show detail in the shadows.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Good work overall. I am sure that the couple will be very pleased.

Please let me know if I need to improve any particular thing which is common to multiple images.
    Flash:

Considering our previous conversations, these images confirm that you are making the correct choice dedicating your funds to a new Hot-shoe Flash Unit. I concur that the dextrous use of FILL FLASH to overcome the dappled lighting would generally enhance the images.

Cropping/Framing:

I suggest that you consider more carefully your cropping / framing.

> Note Frame 05 elbow clipped

> Frame 06 we see a little bit of knuckle

> Frame 07 half a forearm and half an hand

Posing, especially a Female Subject in Male/Female Portrait:

Be aware of any leading leg / knee / foot - or - hand / elbow / arm.
    (“leading” means the one closer to the camera and/or the one which “leads” the Viewer’s Eye into the Portrait).

Poses that have a leading limb on the skew, rather than front on to the camera are Softer Poses.

Typically we would be more inclined to use Soft Poses for a Pre-Wedding Shoot.

> Note Frame 02 – the front-most area of the Female Subject is her KNEE and that occupies a large area of the image real estate, arguably better to have her sitting across his lap, so her hips are at about ¼Profile. Her legs could still be crossed right over left, and that would make a line (from the bottom of the frame) leading upwards right to left to the knee, the left to right to his hands, then from his hands to his and her face, along the two verticals of her arms.

But, in the pose as is, the Viewer’s Eye hits the red mass of her R.Knee - and stops there.

> Note Frame 09 – the montage: refer to the large image, frame right – her foot is distracting for the same reason, but in this case worse, because it is skin coloured and contrasts intensely with her red dress.

Background/Foreground:

Be very aware of hard lines in the background that either grow out of the Subjects or cut them.

> Frame 01 – Both Subjects have tree trunks growing out of their heads.

> Frame 08 – OoF Grass in foreground is distracting – it could be removed in Post Production – easier that you just broke it off or held it down with something, before you made the shot.

Camera Elevation:

The Camera Elevation is too low on quite a few of these images.

A low camera elevation is usually detrimental for Bridal Portraiture – and this shoot is similar to Bridal Portraiture.

For this Genre of Portrait Photography, for most shots the visual emphasis is at and on the Female’s Face, especially the Eyes.

Using too low a Camera Elevation, will visually enhance the Torso & Hips at the expense of the Waist, Bust, Neck and Face.

WW

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

Oh !!! too much to take care of in next shoot. Surely will try to remember these things during next photoshoot.
    This time the problem was the guy is too camera shy, so we decided to let them be as is and I was roaming with them and capturing their moods. Hence was unable to get the most perfect shot that I could have been. Still the cropping and trunks popping out of head is a must must to improve.

Thanks.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

. . .This time the problem was the guy is too camera shy . . .
    Many Bridegrooms are.

WW

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Also - remember this - the Opening Comment:

Good work overall. I am sure that the couple will be very pleased.

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

Also - remember this - the Opening Comment:
    Thanks

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I find that I'd have to agree with Bill's comments on the camera angles, but what really strikes me is the lack of "pop" because of the lighting you are working with. I think adding a speedlight to your toolkit is going to be a MUST sooner, rather than later.

The other comment I keep hearing from wedding photographers is "it's all about the bride"; the groom is sometimes little more than a prop...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12