Re: July, 1864

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    great images, well done!
    Thanks Mark!

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    The first shot works for me, although I'm not totally sold on the "antiqued" colour look. For an image around made 100 years later, yes, but it does look a bit out of place for the mid-1800's. I wonder how this would look in more of a sepia look on a yellowed background or just plain B&W would be getting closer to the tintype images of that period.

Second shot, the back side of a horse and a group of men doesn't do it at all for me. I know back sides are easier to take, but I find that they rarely are all that interesting.

Understood Manfred! The classic color camera is truly try before you buy for me, sepia / aged is my usual go-to for these period shots...will keep at it!

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    OnOne Perfect Photo Suite, Perfect Black and White module has a series of 19th Century print processes including albumen print of which this is an example.

July, 1864

Additionally there is calotype, Daguerrotype, tintype and quite a few other effects....

There are also many 20th Century film effects available also,,,
    Very nice Richard! Looks great with the treatment you've put it through!

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Quote Originally Posted by ashcroft View Post
    Like this perhaps? I think I agree with you. Done in Silver Efex Pro with sepia tint. It needs some scratches on it.

One other thing. They are clearly looking at another photographer to their left. For poignant shots like this I would have thought staring straight at camera would be better?
    Thanks again Rob, appreciate the comments. I'm on the fence on whether they should be looking into the camera or not; I've found older portrait shots frequently have the subject looking to the right or left - could go both ways I suppose!

Real Name
    beth

love re-enactment photos and you did an excellent job. the sepia is nice, but the muted colors in the first version are really sweet. i have a cousin who lives on the farm where stonewall jackson lost his arm. butts up against the national battlefield, really cool place to visit.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoRob View Post
    So true, modern watches seemed to be a big challenge, with 'smiles' a close third!
    Some of the other parameters that photographers of Civil War Reenactments have to contend with are:

Modern eyeglasses, in fact I don't remember many images of Civil War soldiers wearing any kind of eyeglasses at all.

The profusion of females in uniform, there were a few (very few) females acting as soldiers, yet in the interest of political correctness we see many females donning the uniforms (usually Union uniforms) in the reenactments.

The beefy well fed look of enlisted men, Civil War soldiers were generally lean and mean - especially those fighting on the Confederate side whose rations were slim to non-existent.

Finally a problem with making authentic images is the evidence of a modern world that sometimes shows up in the backgrounds, these include power lines, cars and modern buildingd as well as visitors to the reenactment...

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoRob View Post
    Very nice Richard! Looks great with the treatment you've put it through!
    The "treatment" is a single click...

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Some of the other parameters that photographers of Civil War Reenactments have to contend with are:

Modern eyeglasses, in fact I don't remember many images of Civil War soldiers wearing any kind of eyeglasses at all.

The profusion of females in uniform, there were a few (very few) females acting as soldiers, yet in the interest of political correctness we see many females donning the uniforms (usually Union uniforms) in the reenactments.

The beefy well fed look of enlisted men, Civil War soldiers were generally lean and mean - especially those fighting on the Confederate side whose rations were slim to non-existent.

Finally a problem with making authentic images is the evidence of a modern world that sometimes shows up in the backgrounds, these include power lines, cars and modern buildingd as well as visitors to the reenactment...
    Absolutely, all excellent gotchas...

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

Quote Originally Posted by cuilin View Post
    love re-enactment photos and you did an excellent job. the sepia is nice, but the muted colors in the first version are really sweet. i have a cousin who lives on the farm where stonewall jackson lost his arm. butts up against the national battlefield, really cool place to visit.
    Thanks Beth, appreciate the comments. Sounds very cool!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12