Thread: Nikon Deals

Real Name
    Dan

Nikon Deals

For anyone in the market for Nikon gear and not afraid of buying used/refurb, Nikon is doing another 10 percent off sale on their on-line store. Some pretty attractive prices. Some of the best of them IMO:

300mm f2.8 for $4500
    D4 for $4k
    D800 for $2k
    D810 for $2500
    D7100 for $800

Just in case anyone has some pocket change laying around...

Real Name
    Nick

Re: Nikon Deals

I got the e-mail about that. A nice 300 mm VR lens for about $200 was tempting, but I had something bigger in mind. Besides, I'm not in the market at the moment.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Nicks Pics View Post
    ...I'm not in the market at the moment.
    I've pretty much got what I need at this point. The only hole in my inventory is the 300mm prime. I keep getting tempted by these 2.8s at this price. But I've been waiting well over a year for the f4 so I think I can make it another month. Particularly since I shoot very little this time of year. Though that elusive D300 replacement body could lure me in

Real Name
    Nick

I keep getting tempted by these 2.8s at this price.
    Would one want an f/2.8 lens for bird photography? It seems to me that I normally see that bird photos are taken on f4.5 or 5 at the lowest, which is what the smaller cheaper lenses can do.

Real Name
    Joe

Would one want an f/2.8 lens for bird photography? It seems to me that I normally see that bird photos are taken on f4.5 or 5 at the lowest, which is what the smaller cheaper lenses can do.
    To be able to add a tele-converter and have the F stop stay around 5.6. Also to use in low light when F/4 or F/5.6 would not work.

Real Name
    Nick

Thanks Joe, that's a good answer. Because the converter brings your F. stop down a little from whatever your lens can do right?

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Thanks Joe, that's a good answer. Because the converter brings your F. stop down a little from whatever your lens can do right?
    Depends also on the camera, many will shoot at lower F's, and still auto focus, eg, the Siggy 150-600 will still af with the 1.4 converter

Real Name
    Dan

In addition to what Joe mentioned, even if you never shoot at 2.8, the camera has a lot more light to work with(AF, auto WB, etc) as does your eye viewing the scene. Regardless of camera specs, the AF works better with more light. Also the DOF is flatter so the AF will simply be more accurate(assuming it is tuned properly). That's another one, you can tune AF much more accurately with flatter DOF.

At 300mm and down, f4 lenses provide a nice cost/benefit ratio. The Nikkor 70-200 f4 is one of my favorite lenses. I already owned a 70-200 f2.8 but bought the f4 for travel. Unless I'm planning on some really critical work I find myself grabbing the f4 over the 2.8 every time.

Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    In addition to what Joe mentioned, even if you never shoot at 2.8, the camera has a lot more light to work with(AF, auto WB, etc) as does your eye viewing the scene. Regardless of camera specs, the AF works better with more light. Also the DOF is flatter so the AF will simply be more accurate(assuming it is tuned properly). That's another one, you can tune AF much more accurately with flatter DOF.

At 300mm and down, f4 lenses provide a nice cost/benefit ratio. The Nikkor 70-200 f4 is one of my favorite lenses. I already owned a 70-200 f2.8 but bought the f4 for travel. Unless I'm planning on some really critical work I find myself grabbing the f4 over the 2.8 every time.
    These are more interesting points I didn't know- thanks.