Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I love trees...

I love trees...

...so much so that I decided to try my hand in growing some conifers, my fav kind. These ones are Picea abies, commonly known as Norway spruce, although they most probably are a cultivated variety and not a natural variety (the tree I got the cones from was in someone's yard so I'm almost positive they're a cultivar). However, watching life unfold before your eyes is amazing no matter what species or variety.

The pic itself isn't amazing as I don't have any editing software on my computer besides MS Paint (sigh), but I just thought I'd share.

I love trees...

Re: I love trees...

A few years ago, I did get some free Norway Spruce seeds from a Guinness special offer 'Grow your own Christmas Tree'.

Everyone germinated, which really surprised me. I managed to give a few plants away and still have 2 in pots; but they are getting too big for their containers now and my garden isn't suitable to allow these massive trees to reach full size.

Possibly, I might manage to keep one of them for another few years if I get a bigger container.

It is amazing to think that something so large starts off as a tiny seedling like those in your photo.

I too love trees. We had a present of a pine tree which was 12in high in 2000. As I look out of my study window now I see this monster that is about 25ft tall, and rapidly taking over our garden.

How about having a tree thread for tree shots?

You've inspired me to try to find some awesome trees to shoot! Pity the cherry blossoms are gone already.

Quote Originally Posted by bleys View Post
    You've inspired me to try to find some awesome trees to shoot! Pity the cherry blossoms are gone already.
    OK. I have started a tree thread here TREE THREAD - Post your tree shots here