Thread: Getting Firmware Updates

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Getting Firmware Updates

Here's a newbie question............

When I bought my 40D is was then in its last days and no more firmware updates were issued. But now that I have a shiny, new, up-to-date Canon 7DMkII I might well have something for which there will be firmware updates.

So, what's the question?

The question is - What do you do in order to be assured of being notified of firmware updates. Is it a case of registering the product with Canon and they will automatically notify, or do you have to do something else?

Real Name
    Graham

Re: Getting Firmware Updates

Wish I could answer your question. I have all my Canon products registered with Canon Australia but there have been no firmware updates for any of them. I know this because I look at Canon's website every now and then to check it out.
    If you have a look at https://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consu...01e024800901af
    Canon USA say you will be notified if your product is registered so maybe the same thing will happen in other geographical areas.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Donald, I have registered all my cameras and lenses in the past with Nikon, but I have never been notified of any firmware updates. But then maybe that is Nikon...I only get to know of updates when I read it somewhere in a forum or somewhere out there in the news which I accidentally read. Sometimes the news was a year old before I notice it.

Real Name
    James Edwards

Hi Donald,
    I registered my MK1 when I got it and I have been notified by email that a firmware update was available (2 now).
    That said, I'm a belt and braces person and periodically check the Canon website.
    You search for software & manuals, put the details of your Camera, OS, and language in to the search field and it enables you to choose downloads of latest software versions, manuals, and if necessary firmware...

You can test the process by searching for MK1 info......

cheers, James

Real Name
    John

Registering will put you on a notification list, also visiting the website occasionally will benefit you, sometimes there is information regarding your model other than firmware updates. I frequently browse through the forums if available, I often find people reporting small equipment issues that could be of benefit to someone else.

Real Name
    Yes

dpreview often has news of firmwear updates.
    Otherwise a look at Canon site, there are often softwear updates as well, and as new lenses are released you may need to add profiles for these.