Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon blows Nikon - out of the water:

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Canon blows Nikon - out of the water:

Canon has blown Nikon out of the water with the 7D Mk2.
    BIF shots I have seen made me think it was shot with a 1Dx. Took a side bet and lost. Shot with a 7D Mk2 and it is stunning.

Hey, I am a Nikon shooter. That Cannon blasts any DX Nikon to bits, sorry.

Makes me believe the “D400” will be in the pipeline. Nikon has to retaliate with something to counter the D7 Mk2. Maybe a 16MP DX that can run at 10 FPS, focusing like a D750 and “Professional” features build in, like the D300s. Drop the D610 and offer a “Professional” DX in it’s place?

Well I am eager to see what Nikon is going to do.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Canon blows Nikon - out of the water:

A little competition is good for all of us.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Generalizations mean very little

I will take my D4s against the Canon any day

Real Name
    mark

What Frank said

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

One photographer and one set of photos does not make for a trend. Any decent camera from either Nikon or Canon (as well as some of the other cameras) will take good images. To suggest technical superiority of one over the other suggests that this is all about the technology and not the user, regardless of what the camera manufacturer would like you to think.

I shoot Nikon, Panasonic and Leica (when I go back to shooting film on occasion). If I showed people images, I doubt very much that anyone would be able to tell which camera was used to take them.

Real Name
    Venser

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    I shoot Nikon, Panasonic and Leica (when I go back to shooting film on occasion). If I showed people images, I doubt very much that anyone would be able to tell which camera was used to take them.
    Exactly!
    I just sold $14K worth of Nikon gear for Olympus and Fuji. You know how many of my clients can tell a difference? If you chose none you'd be correct.

Real Name
    rob ashcroft

Quote Originally Posted by Venser View Post
    You know how many of my clients can tell a difference? If you chose none you'd be correct.
    I think most non-photographers, and even some photographers couldn't tell any difference. For example, people looking at their new wedding shots are going to be swayed by the emotion of what they are seeing/reliving - they won't be pixel peeping, and wouldn't know what to look for anyway.

It's important that manufacturers continue to develop better technology as we all gain from that in the long run - for example getting smaller and lighter cameras that still produce excellent image quality. But it's a long process, and for me, getting too concerned about every development seems unhelpful. If any photographer continues to improve their personal photography skills that will probably count for more than anything else. There are always good cameras and lenses available, even at a reasonable budget.

Real Name
    John

Nikon will probably upgrade the D7100 in response but might feel the D750 is a part answer.The 7D seems to have run for 5 years before the upgrade. Don't think Nikon ran the D7000 for that long. That one seems to be aimed at rationalising models as the D90 and D300S don't seem to figure any more. Nikon also have their so called 3D tracking which appears to use the exposure sensor to identify the colour of the object that needs to be tracked. Not sure if Canon have that or the same level of pixel count in the exposure sensor.

Interesting that Canon haven't gone totally mad on pixel counts.

John
    -

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Real Name
    Richard

The 7D Mkii seems like a terrific camera but, my 7D cameras still do a pretty good job. However, I 'MAY" consider upgrading when enough refurbished 7D Mkii cameras get into the distribution pipeline...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    That rumour is back again? It's been popping up every year for the past 3 years (ever since Nikon introduced the D800 / D800E).

Real Name
    John

Yes to save money by dropping the anti alias filter and a bit higher to just make sure. Seems they may have wanted balanced quality on the new 7D.

It's a fact that apart from volumes sold the biggest cost associated with silicon is it's size. How many can be fitted on a wafer in other words.

John
    -
    Last edited by ajohnw; 17th December 2014 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Post Manfredated so corrected

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    It's a fact that apart from volumes sold the biggest cost associated with silicone is it's size.
    Let's assume you mean silicon, i.e. the rock, not the rubber.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 17th December 2014 at 05:37 PM.

Real Name
    James Edwards

The 7D Mkii seems like a terrific camera but, my 7D cameras still do a pretty good job. However, I 'MAY" consider upgrading when enough refurbished 7D Mkii cameras get into the distribution pipeline...
    I'm with Richard on this ... I've had my 7D for 5 years and it does fine for me.

I admit I'm getting a bit concerned about the number of actuations, but I'm in no great hurry to get the MII, I'm just reassured to know that it seems to be an improvement on an already excellent model.

At the end of the day though, cameras are a bit like cars ...not everyone is comfortable driving any model, but all drivers are generally comfortable with the one they have at the time.

I still could do with a course on how to use all the functions on my 7D, but I still seem able to capture the kind of images I want to.

Real Name
    John

The on cost of a new shutter over the cost of a real service isn't too bad James. It seems a proper service reduces the amount of labour needed to fit the shutter. It's something like £100 extra on a 5D. Hoping I have remembered the number correctly. Pretty sure I have. Official Canon servicer in Stoke on Trent.

John
    -

Real Name
    Tom

Let's assume you mean silicon, i.e. the rock, not the rubber.
    Unless, of course, his camera has gotten implants...

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

One photographer and one set of photos does not make for a trend. Any decent camera from either Nikon or Canon (as well as some of the other cameras) will take good images. To suggest technical superiority of one over the other suggests that this is all about the technology and not the user, regardless of what the camera manufacturer would like you to think.

In fact I am more than happy with my D7100 thank you too, it is also the glass in front that counts

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by Venser View Post
    Exactly!
    I just sold $14K worth of Nikon gear for Olympus and Fuji. You know how many of my clients can tell a difference? If you chose none you'd be correct.
    Blimy and I just spent £22k on Nikon gear this year, it's the difference in our tastes that makes us unique

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

NOT interested, D810 has 36 and that is more than enough for storage and editing.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by James G View Post
    I'm with Richard on this ... I've had my 7D for 5 years and it does fine for me.

I admit I'm getting a bit concerned about the number of actuations, but I'm in no great hurry to get the MII, I'm just reassured to know that it seems to be an improvement on an already excellent model.

At the end of the day though, cameras are a bit like cars ...not everyone is comfortable driving any model, but all drivers are generally comfortable with the one they have at the time.

I still could do with a course on how to use all the functions on my 7D, but I still seem able to capture the kind of images I want to.
    A new complete shutter box is just £150, people worry too much about the shutter count

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast