Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time

Real Name
    Terry

Re: Time

Continued thanks everyone.

I’ll keep that in mind Brian because no one told me when to run! I think I may have missed the starting gun! Floyd fans never die! They just hit the wall!

Izzie, you’ll get no argument from me that men are by and large pretty much hopeless! But I’ll tell you this! It only took me 17 years to learn that and I thought that was pretty darn good! Well, for a man anyway!

Why would you want to image stack this shot Haseeb? I’m just curious before I would give an opinion on what you are wondering.

Hey many of you probably already know this but here is a Fun Fact!

When watches are photographed it is considered appropriate to photograph them with the time set to 10:10 or thereabouts. It is believed to be a subliminal thing because the watch is perceived to have a “smile” on its face!

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by BrianA61 View Post
    Just remember, Terry, the sun is the same in a relative way, but your older. Shorter of breath, and one day closer to death.

Yes, I'm one of those esoteric Floyd fans that will never die. BTW, nice, clean, detailed shot.
    You have just traumatized Mark...poor Mark, marked for life...

Real Name
    Brian

did you add the little star on the winder or was it there?

Real Name
    Terry

Hey Brian!

Thanks for asking!

I’ll fess up. The highlight was there. I enhanced it in post. It is a result of shooting stopped down, which is cool. The lighting was set where I wanted so I couldn’t nuke the shot just for that highlight and get it in one frame. It is just a cool side effect of how I lit the shot.

I expect this kind of thing showing itself from time to time depending on how I light it and it is a result of shooting stopped down and how I light the set. It is also a cool thing to do on purpose.

I either have to use it or lose it. I watch for it, use it, use the technique, and make the final decision in post.

I used it in this case.

In your opinion Brian, did I make the right decision?

And to help you decide, I'm not above adding some "sparkle"!
    Last edited by Loose Canon; 18th December 2014 at 06:16 AM.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    Hey Brian!

Thanks for asking!

In your opinion Brian, did I make the right decision?

And to help you decide, I'm not above adding some "sparkle"!
    Now this answer definitely dates me but as you asked. I like it for two reasons (1) it is a subtle highlight which is hard to do right (2) don't be insulted ? with the sparkle it reminds me of many ads in magazines and TV from the late 50's early 60's.

Real Name
    Grahame

It looks so good Terry it almost looks unreal !

A great demonstration of what can be done with light.

Real Name
    Rudi

Very inspiring Terry.
    It also reminds me the long way I have to go, now that I started with garage/livingroom/tabletop
    photography...

Real Name
    Mark

great image very impressive

I guess that was a bit esoteric, but Jeez! I thought everyone was a Floyd fan!

you mean there are people who are not

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by marlunn View Post
    great image very impressive

I guess that was a bit esoteric, but Jeez! I thought everyone was a Floyd fan!

you mean there are people who are not
    Floyd?

Real Name
    Rudi

A bit late to the party, but is there a possibility to see some BTS shots from this
    impressive shot ??
    I am in a 'indoor-shooting-learning-phase'
    Last edited by rudi; 3rd January 2015 at 10:23 AM.

Real Name
    Terry

Hi Rudi,

Thank you for commenting.

In the recent past I have been asked not to post any bts shots or any “how I did it” stuff. I never even do unless asked! I said I wouldn’t any more.

Since you asked and you are getting into studio lighting I’m going to do it anyway!

But I’m going to issue a Disclaimer before I do!

Attn:

I am about to post a lighting scenario by request.

Be advised this is not for the squeamish. It would be advisable to have any young children leave the room before proceeding to the bts shots due to the possible negative influence.

I am in no way condemning nor condoning, nor accepting any responsibility for behaviors that may or may not occur from viewing the following shots. I would advise any readers who would prefer not to view the following lighting shots to at this point immediately click to another topic.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    Hi Rudi,

Thank you for commenting.

In the recent past I have been asked not to post any bts shots or any “how I did it” stuff. I never even do unless asked! I said I wouldn’t any more.

Since you asked and you are getting into studio lighting I’m going to do it anyway!

But I’m going to issue a Disclaimer before I do!

Attn:

I am about to post a lighting scenario by request.

Be advised this is not for the squeamish. It would be advisable to have any young children leave the room before proceeding to the bts shots due to the possible negative influence.

I am in no way condemning nor condoning, nor accepting any responsibility for behaviors that may or may not occur from viewing the following shots. I would advise any readers who would prefer not to view the following lighting shots to at this point immediately click to another topic.

What's a BTS shot he innocently asks.

Real Name
    Kay

Sorry to be so late to the discussion! This is a cracker of a shot! The wee twinkle absolutely sets it off perfectly. Well done!
    And I'm sure your wife doesn't think any of those bad things about you
    It is interesting though to try & get non photographer spouses to understand just how long things take!
    My husband just drove me out to check out the storm that's brewing, he has no idea about composition time, and why I really did need to try to battle the howling wind to get to the right spots!
    Well done again on this, it's terrific!

Real Name
    Rudi

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    What's a BTS shot he innocently asks.
    'Behind The Scenes'

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by rudi View Post
    'Behind The Scenes'

Real Name
    Mark

Terry great shot, dont understand why you wouldnt post BTS shots and find it even harder to understand why peeps would ask you not to. i thought this was a learning forum? As such BTS shots are a valuable tool for those of us interested in lighting set ups.....

Wife to do lists??? try mine im only home every other 10 weeks

Real Name
    Terry

Okay, sorry Rudi!

Guess Time got away from me!

Here are the shots you asked to see…

Time

Time

Time

Time

Real Name
    Terry

I would like to state for the record that I find it difficult at best, if not impossible, to make or receive any constructive comments on a complex studio shot without seeing the BTS shots. Without knowing how the lighting/flagging is set one cannot always accurately ascertain where any stray reflections, general weird stuff, or even the good stuff is coming from necessarily.

The case of the watch is a good example. Minute changes of light positioning/direction, or even modifier/flag positioning (diffusion, barn doors, grid, hand-held flags, etc.) can make a night and day difference. A very cool thing because that really opens up lighting options. A lot.

In this case I was going for a “catalogue-type” shot. Nice shadows, highlights, gradients, detail, a nicely lit kind of “happy” look. Something that an advertisement might look like. At least I hoped! However, once you get your lighting zones happening, with just very small adjustments to the lighting (light output, modifiers, positioning, etc.) a more dramatic look could have been had quite easily.

The watch was suspended on a flex arm (by clamp) somewhere just below the middle of the diffusion cone.

I had planned on clipping the watch from the shot to composite it elsewhere which is why I wasn’t overly concerned about “seeing” the arm in the shot. I could have kept the arm out of the frame along with anything else and put a background on the floor. This would have given a BG distance of around 3 feet or so which isn’t bad for a small object. The whole shooting match can be moved up, down, any direction to accommodate just about anything or even get greater distance to the BG.

Each light and each barn door on three of the lights was individually and uniquely positioned one at a time in relation to the diffusion cone and floor reflector. On the fourth light a grid was chosen for its spot properties.

The leaf you see on the floor I moved around randomly in an effort to avoid picking the darn thing up! I kept thinking I’d see its reflection somewhere in the watch!

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

LOL's!!!

Terry has been consigned to the garage!!!!!!!

Sorry, Terry (cough, cough, giggle, squeak (this one for Izzie))!!!!!!

Please continue......

'Rie

Real Name
    Terry

And darn lucky to get that ‘Rie!

You can’t see my cot!

That's what you get when you blow off your Honey-Do's and shoot watches all day!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast