Thread: Advice for printing B&W

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Advice for printing B&W

Hi all.

I'd like to print the below B&W image in a classical style; i.e., narrow black border, fairly wide passe-partout (mount) and on paper. I've never done this before and would welcome any advice. I'd like it professionally printed at something like 60 x 40cm (must be ratio 1.5). Questions that come to mind are:

1. What kind and brand of paper? I presume matt but are there different types?
    2. What should I look for in a print service? I live in Madrid so local is probably best.
    3. Is my photo suitable to print as is, or should I make adjustments to tone etc?
    4. What else should I ask?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tony

Advice for printing B&W

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Advice for printing B&W

Once you find a lab near enough, I recommend that you have a bunch of small prints done on different papers to see what you like. There is no 'right' answer. Different people prefer different papers, and what works for one image might not for another. I don't print much black and white, but my default preference is for high-whitener luster or satin papers, which remind me a lot of the Agfa Brovira paper I used to use in my wet-darkroom days. But that is only my preference.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The other thing to think about with papers is the crispness of your print. As this is an architectural work, I would be tempted to print on glossy paper and that will give you a very crisp looking image. Matt papers are more suitable for portraits, where you want a slightly softer look. If glossy is not a look you want, try a luster paper, which will still give a decently crisp reproduction without the shine of a glossy paper.

A highly textured paper will result in a very soft image and may not give you the look you want for this type of image.

As Dan has suggested, doing small test prints will let you see the overall look. Images you view on your computer screen (transmitted light) will often appear to be brighter than a print (reflected light), so don't be at all surprised if your image on the screen looks quite light. The only way I know of doing this is with a test print that is viewed in the light that you are planning to display the final work under.

Real Name
    Richard

First off, I really like this image...

There is something to take into consideration if you are printing the images yourself. While I like large black borders on my prints, the black border sucks up a lot of ink which means that it is far more expensive to self-print than are white borders or white borders with a narrow black outline around the print...

Expensive to print...
    Advice for printing B&W

Less expensive to print,,,
    Advice for printing B&W

Of course, if you are outsourcing your printing the price of black borders will be the same as white borders.

If you are planning to frame or matte your prints, you don't need any border. You can choose the color matte to compliment your image...

The type of paper that works best for your uses would depend on what type printer you are using and, of course, what type paper might be available in your location.

Some printers do better at B&W printing than others and some paper companies have sampler assortments of papers available...

I like Red River Paper for B&W printing on my Canon Pixma 9000 Mkii
    http://www.redrivercatalog.com/black...ing/index.html
    However I don't know what the shipping charges to Spain from the USA might be.

I don't know of any inkjet paper made in Spain. Germany produces Hahnemuhle Inkjet Papers while England produces Ilford papers. I have used both and they are of excellent quality...

I have heard that the Canon Pixma 100 is better than the 9000 Mkii for B&W printing...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 9th December 2014 at 01:39 AM.

Real Name
    John

I would use luster for this type, my personal preference and would follow the advice of whoever does the printing on how they want to receive image (format, size, etc.). However, you should know what type of output you require so that you are both in agreement on final product.

Real Name
    Grahame

Knowing very little regarding printing but I recall that the setting of the black and white points is something to be aware of.

Hopefully someone can advise on this, if relevant.

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Thanks to you all for your advice. (I made a small error in my description of the frame: my intention is to print with a small black frame, not border.)

I think the lustre paper type is what I want; I don't want it too glossy. And the suggestion to do test prints is a good one.

Grahame, I was also wondering about the black and white points; I'll look into that.

Richard, thanks for displaying the two versions with black and white borders. I thought I wanted it white but I really like the black. I'll have to think about that, and consult my wife who pretty much is in charge of all things related to art and the hanging of it on the walls in the house

I think that the border won't be printed; it will be a raised border, some kind of cardboard passepartout.

Tony

Real Name
    Richard

If you notice on the Red River website, they generally group their papers into two groups: warm tone and cool tone. I would expect that the cool tone papers would be better for this specific print.

I wonder how a metal print would look using this image?
    http://www.adoramapix.com/app/products/metalprints

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I agree with Richard's view. This is definitely something you want printed on a cool tone paper, after all the whites in the image will come from the paper's tone. One thing to watch for is that your white value does not exceed around 245, otherwise the printer will not deposit any ink on the white areas and there will be pigment free "holes" in the image. This shows up when viewing from an angle and definitely takes away from the print.

Real Name
    Roy

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    One thing to watch for is that your white value does not exceed around 245, otherwise the printer will not deposit any ink on the white areas and there will be pigment free "holes" in the image. This shows up when viewing from an angle and definitely takes away from the print.
    This only applies when using pigment ink, it is called "Gloss Differential". The level of difference depends on the type and make of paper used. A number of printers include a "Gloss Optimiser" cartridge as well as the colours and greys, to counteract this problem. It is the main reason why I bought a dye ink printer instead of a pigment ink printer.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by royphot View Post
    This only applies when using pigment ink, it is called "Gloss Differential". The level of difference depends on the type and make of paper used. A number of printers include a "Gloss Optimiser" cartridge as well as the colours and greys, to counteract this problem. It is the main reason why I bought a dye ink printer instead of a pigment ink printer.
    And most commercial printers that specialize in this type of work will tend to use pigment based printers. Pigment photo printers also use multi-coloured cartridges and grey inks. Dyes have come a long way and certainly when looking at the higher end products, the inks are starting to approach the permanence of pigment based inks.

Retail printers use a variety of different print processes, so it is best to check with the specific retailer to determine which print process that they use. I personally would tend to stay away from a retail printer for this particular project.